2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 535i wicked fun

01-20-2016, 10:19 PM   #1
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

I drove my buddies new 535i and it's really impressive. It has the paddles on the steering rig.

BMW did something to the tranny that is so cool:

As you step through the gears while giving gas, the car almost chirps the wheels. There is a slight "bang" that simulates a clutch being released.

Whatever BMW did, it simply adds to the manual shift experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 06:54 AM   #2
535MSport
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 MSport 535- on the way

Uh, mine doesn't "bang" it just quickly and smoothly upshifts as you roll on the power. Remind me to never lend you my ride.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 07:19 AM   #3
SleevedCoyote
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535MSport
Uh, mine doesn't "bang" it just quickly and smoothly upshifts as you roll on the power. Remind me to never lend you my ride.
WHAT? My 530d explodes everytime I shift gears.... Remind me to never lend you my car with such reckless smooth shifts as your car does it
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 07:30 AM   #4
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

In Sport or Sport+ mode, the car definitely shifts harder, I wouldn't describe it as a "bang", or even close to abrupt clutch disengagement. I will agree that the 535i is a blast to drive though.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 07:42 AM   #5
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

My friend's 335 does this in sport /sport+ mode when using paddles. Not quite sure I'd describe it as "more manual feel"' though.

It does take some getting used to, it's fairly noticeable as you shift.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 07:52 AM   #6
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34
My friend's 335 does this in sport /sport+ mode when using paddles. Not quite sure I'd describe it as "more manual feel"' though.

Yes! You know what I mean. I should have been clear that this only happens with the car in M mode. It's almost like the brakes are being tapped for a split second as you shift.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 08:03 AM   #7
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34

I say "more manual feel" because as you shift a manual the throttle is attenuated as you push in the clutch. When you release the clutch, the car lurches forward as you near simultaneously slide the gear into place and, let out the clutch, and depress the accelerator.

Prior to that lurch, there is a slight negative-g deceleration followed by an enormous power boost.

That's what I call the "bang."

No, no it's not a clunk type of bang. It's a "omg, am I over stressing this tranny" kind of bang.

Somehow, BMW has simulated that little lurch described above. You have to drive it to understand it in manual mode.

I also say it's a bang because BMW automatic transmissions are usually so smooth and fluid.

This simulation is not your typical smooth and fluid tranny.

The 535i in manual mode is brilliant.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2016, 09:26 AM   #8
BMW Steve
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 535D & e93 335i Highline

I WAS GOING TO TYPE SOME DRIBBLE ABOUT THE NEW 8 SPEED DOUBLE CLUTCH TRANSMISSION

BUT I FOUND THIS INTRESTING READ

Automatic transmission.

Intelligent technology meets dynamic power: the electronically controlled automatic transmission system enables a sporting, dynamic driving style – without a clutch pedal. It makes driving less demanding and adapts to suit your individual driving style.

Instead of a mechanical connection between the lever and the engine a serial bus system is used to convey information about the change. This saves space and weight and minimises engine noise, as without a mechanical connection vibrations are not felt in the vehicle's interior. Stress factors are minimised and the journey is more comfortable.

The electronic gearshift control ensures that gear changes are executed without any loss of tractive force, adapting the timing of the shift to suit the current driving situation. The intelligent electronic system takes into account the driving style, whether it's winter or summer, whether a trailer is being towed or whether the road is at sea level or in the mountains. It also notes the speed and position of the accelerator. If the driver presses the pedal past a perceptible resistance a kick-down switch automatically changes to the gear that allows the most optimal acceleration. The precise adjustment of the gear change processes enables a unique combination of sporty and dynamic driving and low consumption.

The optional BMW 8-speed automatic transmission sets standards in dynamics and efficiency and is a central component in the BMW EfficientDynamics measures. The particularly smooth gradations of the gears allow optimal power development – from low to high speeds. This markedly reduces fuel consumption while further increasing sportiness and dynamics. The extra gears reduce the number of revolutions at high speed and thus the consumption and engine noise.

The system is supported by the newly-developed and more efficient converter clutch – even if you use the electronic gearshift lever to change gear manually. Combined with precise shifts and low rev intervals between changes, the transmission ensures extremely comfortable gear changes and markedly reduced background noise. The BMW 8-speed automatic transmission is the first automatic transmission available with Auto Start Stop function. This doesn't just save fuel when driving, but also at every traffic light.

Sporty ambitions? Experience maximum dynamics, efficiency and driving comfort with the optional 8-speed Sport automatic transmission: its short shift times improve acceleration and aid sporty driving. The gentle gradation of the eight gears reduces the engine's rev interval between shifts, so the transmission process is barely noticeable. At the same time, the engine is always held at the rev level at which it can optimally utilise its strength – increasing dynamics and efficiency and reducing the noise level. The eighth gear reduces the number of revolutions at high speeds, tangibly increasing comfort while reducing fuel consumption and emissions.

The double-clutch transmission of the 7-speed Sport automatic and the M DKG stand for extraordinary sportiness and dynamic driving pleasure. Composed of two interlocking, mechanical parts, it shifts to the next gear while the previous one is still active. The gear change is thus completely without interruptions.

With the Steptronic, drivers that want to take hold of the reins can transform any BMW automatic transmission to a 'manual' one with press of a button. Depending on the model, the driver can then change gears manually using the gear lever or the shift paddles on the steering wheel. For unrivalled driving pleasure – right down to your fingertips.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 09:30 AM   #9
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
No, no it's not a clunk type of bang. It's a "omg, am I over stressing this tranny" kind of bang.
This is actually exactly what I initially thought, although I wasn't really pushing the car that hard when I was shifting, this "bang" spooked me a bit. That's why I said "it takes some getting used to", but I get exactly what they were going for with this design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
The 535i in manual mode is brilliant.
It's even more brilliant with actual manual transmission, RWD and DHP .
(Not really serious, although it's what I personally prefer, just having some fun and attempting to "brag" a bit )
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2016, 11:48 AM   #10
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Possibly worth noting that there are many different shift programs available. I don't have any DHP modes in my 11 535, just a DS mode for the transmission. Now that I have an M Perf exhaust I can hear different modes of operation more clearly. There are lazy smooth shifts, there are shifts that sound exactly like I'm driving stick (reduction in sound and power, shift, power back on), and then there are shifts with no power gap, a lurch forward and a brappp from the exhaust. More like I had sequential shift. The last shift type really only happens when you're into boost and at least moderate revs when you ask for the shift

Maybe you're feeling the braapppp shift that you like the feel and sound of
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 02:49 PM   #11
535MSport
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 MSport 535- on the way

Per the above read you guys may have some problem-

"Experience maximum dynamics, efficiency and driving comfort with the optional 8-speed Sport automatic transmission: its short shift times improve acceleration and aid sporty driving. The gentle gradation of the eight gears reduces the engine's rev interval between shifts, so the transmission process is barely noticeable."

This is from the above post quoting the BMW dribble. And, it is how mine shifts, you can hammer it and still shift through the gears with a smooth transition from one to another. Perhaps some of you need to reset your transmission or have them looked at or reprogrammed next time you are in the shop.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 03:08 PM   #12
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535MSport
"Experience maximum dynamics, efficiency and driving comfort with the optional 8-speed Sport automatic transmission: its short shift times improve acceleration and aid sporty driving. The gentle gradation of the eight gears reduces the engine's rev interval between shifts, so the transmission process is barely noticeable."

This is from the above post quoting the BMW dribble. And, it is how mine shifts, you can hammer it and still shift through the gears with a smooth transition from one to another. Perhaps some of you need to reset your transmission or have them looked at or reprogrammed next time you are in the shop.
My transmission shifts faster and more aggressively (not harshly) when reset. This is the way I want it. It gets all lazy, slips and slow as it "adapts". I have the very latest integration level and complain constantly at the dealer.

No resets change the three shift types: buttery, like stick, and brrapppp. Prior to the performance exhaust I couldn't hear the brap.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 07:45 PM   #13
wheresmy5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i xDrive M Sport

Is this "brapp"/"bang" possible in the 528 or unique to M mode in 535?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 05:47 AM   #14
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresmy5
I don't have a sport/comfort switch and my car isn't a sport. This isn't an M thing to sound cool.

my theory is it is simply a shift mode (not to be confused with a "driving mode" like DS or sport) that's used sometimes.

There's a couple of basic components to an AT shift - the hydraulic shift pressure/speed and how the engine power cutback is performed. It's my thought that the brap shift is retarding the timing but not cutting spark or fuel in order to keep the boost maximized during the shift. The other two types may interrupt fuel and/or spark.

I've sought technical details before but never found any so I'm left to my educated guesses.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 09:40 AM   #15
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73
Quote:
I don't have a sport/comfort switch and my car isn't a sport. This isn't an M thing to sound cool.

my theory is it is simply a shift mode (not to be confused with a "driving mode" like DS or sport) that's used sometimes.

There's a couple of basic components to an AT shift - the hydraulic shift pressure/speed and how the engine power cutback is performed. It's my thought that the brap shift is retarding the timing but not cutting spark or fuel in order to keep the boost maximized during the shift. The other two types may interrupt fuel and/or spark.

I've sought technical details before but never found any so I'm left to my educated guesses.
Is it possible that BMW would add a program step to tap the brakes as you shift manually from one gear to the next?

The feeling that I am trying to convey is that slight negative G that you feel when shifting a true manual while attenuating the throttle as you shift. BMW could simulate that negative G by tapping the brakes as you shift from Mx to My at speed.

I noticed this simulation only takes place after the engine is warmed up.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 03:36 PM   #16
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73
Quote:

Is it possible that BMW would add a program step to tap the brakes as you shift manually from one gear to the next?

The feeling that I am trying to convey is that slight negative G that you feel when shifting a true manual while attenuating the throttle as you shift. BMW could simulate that negative G by tapping the brakes as you shift from Mx to My at speed.

I noticed this simulation only takes place after the engine is warmed up.
I really don't think they would do that just for "effect". The Germans already want to abolish MT altogether because it is "technically inferior" to AT and DCT. I really doubt they'd slow the car down to imitate one of the undesirable effects of MT (period with no power applied). I don't notice anything like that on my 535 for what it's worth.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 01:06 PM   #17
jasonbimmerkid
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw 535i

Exclamation Need help

So, i am new to bmws and stuff, and i got a 2015 535i, and when i put it into sport and manual when i go to shift the car shifts itself, like what should i do that stop that?
Appreciate 0