2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum How does your steering feel?

02-18-2011, 10:17 AM   #177
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.S. View Post
My hydraulic steering 535 xi has no issues and feels solid and planted... Center is dead on. Superb bmw steering. Thats another reason why xdrive versions are supperior. No electric steering bs.
This has been previously and extensively identified as the most likely cause of the problem - great if you have the choice, but no xdrive in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #178
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Jon,
Could it be the alignment that gave you the improvement?
I quote popular mechanics, via google:

"With nitrogen, your tire pressures will remain more constant, saving you a small amount in fuel and tire-maintenance costs. There will be less moisture inside your tires, meaning less corrosion on your wheels. You will not be able to feel any difference in the ride or handling or braking, unless your tire pressures were seriously out of spec and changing to nitrogen brought them back to the proper numbers."

Did you have the proper tire pressures before? Maybe you 'found' a new PSI that allows greater feel.
Or perhaps, more likely it was the alignment that brought about the improvement?

The 'feel' aspect of nitrogen is that the pressure varies less with temperature..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #179
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
Jon,
Could it be the alignment that gave you the improvement?
I quote popular mechanics, via google:

"With nitrogen, your tire pressures will remain more constant, saving you a small amount in fuel and tire-maintenance costs. There will be less moisture inside your tires, meaning less corrosion on your wheels. You will not be able to feel any difference in the ride or handling or braking, unless your tire pressures were seriously out of spec and changing to nitrogen brought them back to the proper numbers."

Did you have the proper tire pressures before? Maybe you 'found' a new PSI that allows greater feel.
Or perhaps, more likely it was the alignment that brought about the improvement?

The 'feel' aspect of nitrogen is that the pressure varies less with temperature..
If you re-read my post you'll see that I said the alignment check was the first step and that I noticed very little improvement.
Having spent 43 years in aviation engineering, I'm well acquainted with both the theory and practice of using nitrogen in tyres and that is why I was initially sceptical as to any benefit.
I verge on OCD as far as tyre pressures are concerned and check them with a calibrated gauge at least once a week. Through experimentation I have found the F10 to be extremely sensitive to very small changes and I have found the optimum to be 30psi front 33psi rear for a lightly loaded car. I have identical pressures with the nitrogen.
I certainly agree with 'Popular Mechanics' from a theoretical standpoint; however, my practical experience tells me otherwise - don't forget that I said I was trying hard to disbelieve it, but after 600 miles and ten days, I have to concede that it works for me.
This will not be the first time that actual practice contradicts a theory and to the sceptics I can only reiterate my earlier suggestion - for the sake of £5 give it a try.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 01:11 PM   #180
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
If you re-read my post you'll see that I said the alignment check was the first step and that I noticed very little improvement.
Having spent 43 years in aviation engineering, I'm well acquainted with both the theory and practice of using nitrogen in tyres and that is why I was initially sceptical as to any benefit.
I verge on OCD as far as tyre pressures are concerned and check them with a calibrated gauge at least once a week. Through experimentation I have found the F10 to be extremely sensitive to very small changes and I have found the optimum to be 30psi front 33psi rear for a lightly loaded car. I have identical pressures with the nitrogen.
I certainly agree with 'Popular Mechanics' from a theoretical standpoint; however, my practical experience tells me otherwise - don't forget that I said I was trying hard to disbelieve it, but after 600 miles and ten days, I have to concede that it works for me.
This will not be the first time that actual practice contradicts a theory and to the sceptics I can only reiterate my earlier suggestion - for the sake of £5 give it a try.
My 550i M Sport is a heavier car, My tyre pressures are 36PSI all round for two people in the car always, it handles great.
      02-18-2011, 01:17 PM   #181
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
My 550i M Sport is a heavier car, My tyre pressures are 36PSI all round for two people in the car always, it handles great.
If you're happy with what you have, there's absolutely no reason to change anything.
My account is intended primarily for those who have experienced steering problems similar to mine - there are quite a few of us!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #182
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Point taken. I'll give it a try if i come across it for a reasonable cost..

Actually, I just got an idea.. jack up the front PSI .. my current settings of 31.2/33 are a habit from a different car, the f10 is so soft, i wonder what would happen if i had the tires harder..

update: increased fronts to match back at 33 (29cold@13celsius) and its more bumpy, with no improvement in feel.. =sucks

Last edited by grimlock; 02-18-2011 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 03:00 AM   #183
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
Point taken. I'll give it a try if i come across it for a reasonable cost..

Actually, I just got an idea.. jack up the front PSI .. my current settings of 31.2/33 are a habit from a different car, the f10 is so soft, i wonder what would happen if i had the tires harder..

update: increased fronts to match back at 33 (29cold@13celsius) and its more bumpy, with no improvement in feel.. =sucks
I tried varying pressures within the stated range and found that the car's handling at its best with them at just 1psi above the minimum value.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 03:50 AM   #184
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If you're happy with what you have, there's absolutely no reason to change anything.
My account is intended primarily for those who have experienced steering problems similar to mine - there are quite a few of us!
Where can I buy a decent Pressure gauge?, I have three cheap ones and they all vary a Pound or two.
      02-19-2011, 04:05 AM   #185
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Where can I buy a decent Pressure gauge?, I have three cheap ones and they all vary a Pound or two.
I've had my old bourdon tube gauge for ages and it's still very reliable, but I wouldn't know where to go for a replacement.
Michelin do a digital gauge for £25 with a stated accuracy of ±1psi.
Alternatively there's this: http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Produc...ign=Motorsport
I believe they use Intercomp gauges for racing.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 04:18 AM   #186
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I've had my old bourdon tube gauge for ages and it's still very reliable, but I wouldn't know where to go for a replacement.
Michelin do a digital gauge for £25 with a stated accuracy of ±1psi.
Alternatively there's this: http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Produc...ign=Motorsport
I believe they use Intercomp gauges for racing.
Thanks mate.
      02-19-2011, 04:27 AM   #187
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Thanks mate.
You're very welcome - if you go for either, please let me know what you think of the quality.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 04:29 AM   #188
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You're very welcome - if you go for either, please let me know what you think of the quality.
I am going for the Analogue one(Intercomp Deluxe Tyre Pressure Gauge), I think the accuracy will be better.
      02-19-2011, 04:35 AM   #189
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
I am going for the Analogue one(Intercomp Deluxe Tyre Pressure Gauge), I think the accuracy will be better.
I'm sure you're ahead of me, but just make sure you order the 0-60psi version from the drop-down box.
The web page illustrates the 0-30 one.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 04:38 AM   #190
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm sure you're ahead of me, but just make sure you order the 0-60psi version from the drop-down box.
The web page illustrates the 0-30 one.
Will Do.