2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Photography/Videography The Night Photography Thread

01-13-2012, 10:10 PM   #969
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
it's a nice piece, you'll enjoy it. don't forget, you can still fetch some money for the t1i to put towards the 7D

i should mention, the real killer on the pro bodies, is the expensive compact flash cards... they are expensive to replace if you ruin one, my advice, never take it out of you camera once you've put it in, just use the provided usb cable to transfer to your computer. (if you don't already)
Interesting advice about the CF cards. I believe in being very careful with them, but I put them into my card reader on my computer to speed up the transfer. I turn off the camera when I take them out of the camera and put them right back in when I've finished reading them and then reformat right away. My advice would be to buy good ones, and fast ones if you need that, and be careful with them. My two 32GB cards have around 50,000 images, cumualtive, each.

The 7D is an amazing camera and one of the best values available to the serious shooter.

Dave
      01-13-2012, 10:23 PM   #970
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Interesting advice about the CF cards. I believe in being very careful with them, but I put them into my card reader on my computer to speed up the transfer. I turn off the camera when I take them out of the camera and put them right back in when I've finished reading them and then reformat right away. My advice would be to buy good ones, and fast ones if you need that, and be careful with them. My two 32GB cards have around 50,000 images, cumualtive, each.

The 7D is an amazing camera and one of the best values available to the serious shooter.

Dave
yeah, i found out the hard way how to take care of them, 150$ canadian mistake.

what happend is because of the pin system, I ended up bending one in my computers card reader. the bent pin then went into the card sideways and tore it apart inside.

it took me about 2 days to get all the pictures off of it, I had to stick a sewing pin inside and try to move the metal contact points back into place and pulled the bent pin out of my computers reader and was eventually able to read them. I tryed 3 different readers, and only managed to extract the remaining files on one of them, and funny enough, it was the reader that was missing a pin.

I sampled around a bit with other cards after to make sure the reader in my computer was still working (and yes it was) even without the one pin. But the card was garbage after.

so just be super carefull pulling them in and out. Mine are perminantly in my cameras now, unless i upgrade to a new card, then that one takes over.

and yes, definitely turn the camera off before opening the memory card compartment, same with battery, it forces the camera to do instant shut downs, which skips the cleaning process and such. I assume, probably not the best thing for the camera.

interestingly Windows Vista recognizes the software inside the cameras. it also has it's own built in importing abilities which work quite nicely. lightroom can also pull straight off of the camera too.

I only find this technique only marginally slower, but at the same time, you're saving time by not having to open up camera, pull card, insert card elsewhere, then remove card, put back in camera, format.

with camera, leave cord attached to computer, just plug into camera, and sit down, then do normal imporing procedures, then when done, unplug camera. what it lacks in speed read/write, it makes up for in time wasted moving a to b. So I've found anyhow.

SD card, i wouldn't hesitate to remove and put into computer every time, just so easy... nothing really to go wrong like all those pins on the compact flashes.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 10:43 PM   #971
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
yeah, i found out the hard way how to take care of them, 150$ canadian mistake.

what happend is because of the pin system, I ended up bending one in my computers card reader. the bent pin then went into the card sideways and tore it apart inside.

it took me about 2 days to get all the pictures off of it, I had to stick a sewing pin inside and try to move the metal contact points back into place and pulled the bent pin out of my computers reader and was eventually able to read them. I tryed 3 different readers, and only managed to extract the remaining files on one of them, and funny enough, it was the reader that was missing a pin.

I sampled around a bit with other cards after to make sure the reader in my computer was still working (and yes it was) even without the one pin. But the card was garbage after.

so just be super carefull pulling them in and out. Mine are perminantly in my cameras now, unless i upgrade to a new card, then that one takes over.

and yes, definitely turn the camera off before opening the memory card compartment, same with battery, it forces the camera to do instant shut downs, which skips the cleaning process and such. I assume, probably not the best thing for the camera.

interestingly Windows Vista recognizes the software inside the cameras. it also has it's own built in importing abilities which work quite nicely. lightroom can also pull straight off of the camera too.

I only find this technique only marginally slower, but at the same time, you're saving time by not having to open up camera, pull card, insert card elsewhere, then remove card, put back in camera, format.

with camera, leave cord attached to computer, just plug into camera, and sit down, then do normal imporing procedures, then when done, unplug camera. what it lacks in speed read/write, it makes up for in time wasted moving a to b. So I've found anyhow.

SD card, i wouldn't hesitate to remove and put into computer every time, just so easy... nothing really to go wrong like all those pins on the compact flashes.
My small USB card reader doesn't have a CF slot, so I'll be using your method to start anyway. I usually only have a dozen or so images that need to come off the camera, unless I'm on vacation or something. Then images tend to pile up until I can dump them to a laptop and external drive.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 11:25 PM   #972
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport

i mean no disrespect here, but that 'don't pull your CF card' thing is a load of bunk. if you invest in a good card reader and good cards and you're careful, you pretty much rule out MOST chances of some failure. there will always be freak accidents like that...but if i'm out shooting a lot in one day and i don't have access to a computer, i don't hesitate to change cards. weddings, for example, might require that. i now use a 32GB card in my 5Dii, but i'd personally be far more concerned about a card corrupting than i would be about a pin problem. i can almost guarantee most pros don't just leave their cards in their cameras...they swap cards and keep shooting. and the average pro is going to swap cards more times in a month than a consumer will in a year or two.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 11:59 PM   #973
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

sorry for exaggerating the point to the extent that you found it hard to swallow.

I'll try not to use the word "never" in such a strong way again.

either way, if you're switching out a compact flash card while shooting a wedding, you either chose way too small a card to start, or you're shooting way more then is necessary. Lets say you shoot about 500 shots, that's between about 11 and 13gigs. you don't need a card that big. If you're shooting that much to need to swap out, I hope it's a monstrous wedding.

I also don't really worry about switching out my cards that much as I carry 2 cameras on me, so it's not too often i find myself in a situation where i'll need to worry about switching out. And in Marks case, he probably doesn't transfer more then about 100 files at a time, so for any difference in time of transferring between camera vs card reader, there's really no point in being concerned about it.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #974
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

Reed, I understand your reservations with swapping out memory cards, based on your own personal experiences. However, I'd have to agree with Josh on this one. I've probably swapped memory cards in and out of my 20D over a hundred times with no problems whatsoever. Of course a freak accident like that can happen, but it's rare. As long as the track for the slot is long enough before it hits the pins, you should be safe. On the cameras it's good, on the card readers it may not be.

I have this card reader and it works great:
Lexar® Professional USB 3.0 Dual-Slot Reader

I also have a CF card reader for my iPad 2, and its slot is very short, so I have to be extra careful when inserting/removing the CF card from it.
      01-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #975
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport

i certainly don't mean to be condescending, just a bit incredulous based on my experiences. i can certainly see how using a cheap card reader could cause problems. i use a moshi reader that supports UDMA. it's fast, and i get a good seat every time.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 10:08 AM   #976
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

don't worry guys, as i mentioned, I chose my words poorly, i shouldn't have said "never" it was an incorrect statement by me.

my point was is that the cards are more delicate then the SD card because of the pin system. And yes, there's a lot of shit readers out there. It took me 4 different readers just to get the information off my wrecked card before i was successful.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #977
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

More loitering around Millennium Park. I love the structure of and around the pavilion.

Should've used a slightly higher ISO and shorter shutter speed on this one....it's a little blown out on some of the metal panels of the pavilion. I love this angle w/ the arches, though.
      01-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #978
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Nice shots, Jeff.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #979
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks, Mark! Too bad this week's contest isn't 'Dusk'. I was going to enter one of these but they don't really qualify as twilight. I found parking downtown a little too late. lol
      01-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #980
Prissy
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [5.50]
2020 M340I  [0.00]
2017 X3  [0.00]
2008 BMW E92  [9.00]
2010 BMW E92  [10.00]
Can someone post some before and after Night photos? I want to see how the photo look like from the beginning haha.

Does Photoshop CS3 support RAW images?

Last edited by Prissy; 01-16-2012 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #981
fluidkaos
I wanna go fast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a madman.

Garage List
2010 E92 335i  [9.31]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prissy View Post
Yes, CS3 does support camera RAW files, just not for your camera. It's too new. Lightroom 3 and CS5 support it, if you get the Camera Raw 6.5 plug-in update.

Last edited by fluidkaos; 01-16-2012 at 09:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 11:32 PM   #982
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Can someone post some before and after Night photos? I want to see how the photo look like from the beginning haha.

Those last 2 pix of mine are 90% as shot. Most of what I did was pre-sharpen before shrinking them down and then sharpening again after. I'll try to post some before/afters tomorrow.

CS3 will natively support raw from some of the older gen dSLRs (I know it works directly for my XTi). For newer ones, there's DNG Converter off Adobe's website that'll convert the native camera raw to something PS can/will work with. I use DNG Converter for 5D raw files...haven't tried G12 raw files yet but I assume the utility will be needed as well.
      01-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #983
Prissy
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [5.50]
2020 M340I  [0.00]
2017 X3  [0.00]
2008 BMW E92  [9.00]
2010 BMW E92  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
In general, there is no reason to save a jpg if you save a raw. However, some people like to view jpgs to decide whether to keep the photo or not. Jpgs take less space and processing power to handle, so it's easier to sort through jpgs than raw images. If you find a jpg to delete, you can delete the corresponding raw file, etc.

Personally, I don't save jpgs with raws, but I know other photogs here do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidkaos View Post
Yes, CS3 does support camera RAW files, just not for your camera. It's too new. Lightroom 3 and CS5 support it, if you get the Camera Raw 6.5 plug-in update.
So you mean my Sony NEX-5N's RAW files can not be used with CS3? Is Camera Raw just a plug-in for Photoshop? Is it free?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #984
Prissy
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [5.50]
2020 M340I  [0.00]
2017 X3  [0.00]
2008 BMW E92  [9.00]
2010 BMW E92  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Those last 2 pix of mine are 90% as shot. Most of what I did was pre-sharpen before shrinking them down and then sharpening again after. I'll try to post some before/afters tomorrow.

CS3 will natively support raw from some of the older gen dSLRs (I know it works directly for my XTi). For newer ones, there's DNG Converter off Adobe's website that'll convert the native camera raw to something PS can/will work with. I use DNG Converter for 5D raw files...haven't tried G12 raw files yet but I assume the utility will be needed as well.
Yes.. Pls post the before pics too... It's too hard to believe the Sharpen tool is the only tool u used
DNG converter = free?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #985
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
So you mean my Sony NEX-5N's RAW files can not be used with CS3? Is Camera Raw just a plug-in for Photoshop? Is it free?
They'll have the plug-in probably within 60-days. Until then you'll have to use the software provided by Sony. Save to DNG and then process further in PS.
      01-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #986
Prissy
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [5.50]
2020 M340I  [0.00]
2017 X3  [0.00]
2008 BMW E92  [9.00]
2010 BMW E92  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
They'll have the plug-in probably within 60-days. Until then you'll have to use the software provided by Sony. Save to DNG and then process further in PS.
Thanks brotha!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #987
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes.. Pls post the before pics too... It's too hard to believe the Sharpen tool is the only tool u used
DNG converter = free?
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showpost...&postcount=419
      01-17-2012, 08:55 PM   #988
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Happy on H&R coil overs

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]
awesome shots Jeff and welcome back
Appreciate 0