2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications 550i Starter Motor Issue...

08-31-2014, 03:57 PM   #1
pdrf10
A Man of Wisdumb...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 550i M Sport

Cool 550i Starter Motor Issue...

Greetings -

Over the last several months, I've had a sporadic problem with (what I believe to be) my starter motor and am reaching out to fellow F10 devotees for insight or prior experiences in dealing with this issue.

Specifically, the starter motor seems to "over rev" or fail to completely disengage from the flywheel on start-up, causing a brief high pitch screeching sound. This problem seems to randomly occur three or four times per month, and always on a cold start.

I had the dealer look into this matter last year during a routine service, and as luck would have it, they weren't able to replicate the problem over a two-day period. The issue seems to be getting worse, and I'm concerned a bad starter motor could be causing a greater (and more expensive) problem in the form of flywheel damage.

The factory warranty / maintenance program on my vehicle expires in six months, and I'm trying to get a handle on this before a no-charge repair on BMW's dime morphs into another mortgage payment.

For what it's worth, I've only got 32.5K miles on the odometer.

Thanks!

Last edited by pdrf10; 08-31-2014 at 07:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 05:39 PM   #2
The_Transporter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Not sure if this is the same thing I'm experiencing but it kinda sounds like it. Car works and drives perfect so could be nothing and Dealer hasn't found anything wrong with mine either. Keep me posted if you figure it out and I'll do the same!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 07:51 PM   #3
Michael V.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Transporter View Post
Not sure if this is the same thing I'm experiencing but it kinda sounds like it. Car works and drives perfect so could be nothing and Dealer hasn't found anything wrong with mine either. Keep me posted if you figure it out and I'll do the same!

Same here
      09-01-2014, 03:46 PM   #4
gclions
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

I've had mine in the shop for other reasons and had them look for this at the same time. They could get it to do it, but couldn't pinpoint where it was coming from. It was only on cold starts.

They replaced my starter, but after about a month it did it again. The honest to goodness best guess the technician had was vibration of one of the various heat shields on the car. If you look at the heat shields under the air boxes, they are very thin sheet metal, and to me the sound I'm hearing could easily be vibration through the heat shields.

There was no damage to the flex plate, and no noticeable issues with the "faulty" starter, so I'm not too worried about it. No problems with hard starts or failed starts, just an obnoxious noise about once a month. If it became persistent I would probably be more concerned.
      09-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #5
pdrf10
A Man of Wisdumb...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclions View Post
I've had mine in the shop for other reasons and had them look for this at the same time. They could get it to do it, but couldn't pinpoint where it was coming from. It was only on cold starts.

They replaced my starter, but after about a month it did it again. The honest to goodness best guess the technician had was vibration of one of the various heat shields on the car. If you look at the heat shields under the air boxes, they are very thin sheet metal, and to me the sound I'm hearing could easily be vibration through the heat shields.

There was no damage to the flex plate, and no noticeable issues with the "faulty" starter, so I'm not too worried about it. No problems with hard starts or failed starts, just an obnoxious noise about once a month. If it became persistent I would probably be more concerned.

Thanks for the insight regarding your experience with this issue. I would think a loose heat shield would result in a consistent noise both on cold and warm-engine starts, but thankfully that doesn't seem to be the case with your engine.

I've got a service appointment tomorrow morning at my local dealer, and will be showing up with a video clip of the noise (as I was lucky enough to catch the problem / noise on a cold start this weekend). Hopefully this will be persuasive enough to get them to investigate the origin of the noise further, and maybe pull the starter motor for closer examination.

Will post an update when she gets out of the shop...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 02:48 PM   #6
The_Transporter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Good luck! Can you post the clip of the noise here or somewhere? I'd like to verify that it's the same noise I'm hearing.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 03:05 PM   #7
pdrf10
A Man of Wisdumb...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good luck! Can you post the clip of the noise here or somewhere? I'd like to verify that it's the same noise I'm hearing.

Thanks!

PM sent...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 10:19 PM   #8
pdrf10
A Man of Wisdumb...
United_States
Rep

Quick Update:

Car was dropped off this morning, and I discussed my concerns at length with the same service advisor who helped me out last year when I originally reported the starter motor problem. I showed him the video clip of the noise, emailed it to him for his reference (and to later show the service technician assigned to my work order), and even showed the clip to the shop foreman.

I got a call late this afternoon, and they've ordered a new starter motor. Hopefully the part will be in tomorrow morning, and if all goes well (I've got a few routine maintenance items being addressed under warranty as well), I should have my ride back tomorrow evening.

Will be curious to see if the "screech" is gone.

More to follow...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 11:23 PM   #9
The_Transporter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Did they say if this could lead to a failure of some kind or different damage? Looks like I need to do the same if so
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 05:31 PM   #10
pdrf10
A Man of Wisdumb...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did they say if this could lead to a failure of some kind or different damage? Looks like I need to do the same if so
Haven't gotten the car back yet, so I don't really know the full story. My service advisor called this afternoon to explain they had to order another part to fix a warranty issue with the driver's seat, which won't be in until tomorrow.

I was pretty clear about asking them to examine the flywheel for damage if they pulled the starter motor; hopefully the tech addresses this issue on my final / completed work order via his notes. I'm very particular about keeping all my maintenance records, and feel the documentation from my initial request for repair (last year) coupled with this current repair (which includes a video and their willingness to replace the starter) should hopefully cover me in the future if the flywheel develops problems outside of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 08:04 PM   #11
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

If it makes you feel better. I turned my car in a couple days ago for a broken cupholder and an oil change. When I picked it up, they replaced my turbos and all associated parts. My headlights were replaced as well. These headlights broke 3 times already and I only have 37k miles on the odometer. Yet these Goodyear LS2s somehow have not cause any problems on 19s lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 08:27 PM   #12
pdrf10
A Man of Wisdumb...
United_States
Rep

I brought my F10 in specifically for the starter motor issue, as well as an oil change and a creaking driver's seat-back. My service advisor threw in new windshield wipers, a brake fluid flush, and a new in-cabin micro filter when writing me up, which was appreciated.

Hopefully they told you about the need for new turbos & headlights when you dropped yours off...

Wait, new turbos? WTF?!? Is there a recall on these for your VIN range?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 04:02 PM   #13
vladkarnafel
Enlisted Member
Rep

I took my 550 two days ago for oil change and told them about the starter issue, getting it replaced over the weekend and should be able to pick up my car Monday, will keep you updated if I get that noise on start up.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 02:18 AM   #14
pdrf10
A Man of Wisdumb...
United_States
Rep

Initial Impressions After With a New Starter...

Well, I got my car back late Friday afternoon, and immediately could tell there was a new starter motor installed, as it has a much "healthier" sound and fires up the N63 quicker than ever. I know it's only been a couple of days, but so far, no more screech on a cold start.

The mechanic's notes on my final work order pretty much confirmed my suspicion that the defective starter motor was failing to completely disengage from the flywheel, causing the offending noise. Thus, I would encourage any of you experiencing a similar problem to have it checked out before your factory warranty expires.

I'll keep you all posted if the dreaded screech rears its ugly head anytime soon...

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 09:51 AM   #15
The_Transporter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrf10
Well, I got my car back late Friday afternoon, and immediately could tell there was a new starter motor installed, as it has a much "healthier" sound and fires up the N63 quicker than ever. I know it's only been a couple of days, but so far, no more screech on a cold start.

The mechanic's notes on my final work order pretty much confirmed my suspicion that the defective starter motor was failing to completely disengage from the flywheel, causing the offending noise. Thus, I would encourage any of you experiencing a similar problem to have it checked out before your factory warranty expires.

I'll keep you all posted if the dreaded screech rears its ugly head anytime soon...

Glad to hear!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #16
vladkarnafel
Enlisted Member
Rep

They ended up replacing my starter as well, and will be picking up my car tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 01:00 PM   #17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrf10 View Post
I brought my F10 in specifically for the starter motor issue, as well as an oil change and a creaking driver's seat-back. My service advisor threw in new windshield wipers, a brake fluid flush, and a new in-cabin micro filter when writing me up, which was appreciated.

Hopefully they told you about the need for new turbos & headlights when you dropped yours off...

Wait, new turbos? WTF?!? Is there a recall on these for your VIN range?
No recall I'm aware of. I was told it was leaking oil and replaced everything.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 01:04 PM   #18
pdrf10
A Man of Wisdumb...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladkarnafel View Post
They ended up replacing my starter as well, and will be picking up my car tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 01:14 PM   #19
pdrf10
A Man of Wisdumb...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 493263 View Post
No recall I'm aware of. I was told it was leaking oil and replaced everything.
Good to hear the dealership was proactive in catching this before it became a major headache for you in the future. I've heard from several reliable sources over the years that dealerships generally won't fix an unreported problem discovered during service unless the customer specifically complains about it (unless it's a safety or recall-specific concern).

Enjoy your new turbos!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 04:36 PM   #20
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

Quote:
Good to hear the dealership was proactive in catching this before it became a major headache for you in the future. I've heard from several reliable sources over the years that dealerships generally won't fix an unreported problem discovered during service unless the customer specifically complains about it (unless it's a safety or recall-specific concern).

Enjoy your new turbos!
Bringing an old thread back, I have the same sound/problem as you had with my 550i. Today had a very weak start along with the whining sound where the car was coughing to start, but it did start. I feel like my problem is getting worse. On cold starts, I also get that whining sound for a second.

Did replacement of the starter solve the problem for you?

Last edited by 135i_vs_; 11-11-2018 at 05:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 08:04 PM   #21
pdrf10
A Man of Wisdumb...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_vs_ View Post
Bringing an old thread back, I have the same sound/problem as you had with my 550i. Today had a very weak start along with the whining sound where the car was coughing to start, but it did start. I feel like my problem is getting worse. On cold starts, I also get that whining sound for a second.

Did replacement of the starter solve the problem for you?
It did - - have not had any similar issues...
      11-13-2018, 09:04 AM   #22
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

Quote:
It did - - have not had any similar issues...
Thanks.
I just bought the starter relay, going to try it first. I am thinking maybe the starter relay contacts are sticking a little bit and not disengaging as going as it should.

On the parts list on your invoice, did they also mention replacing the starter relay?
Appreciate 0