2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Worth Modifying?

11-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #1
Das Johnson
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi

Worth Modifying?

Hey!

Just last august my father and I replaced ol' Bessie, Our e39 M5, With Archimedes, Our current 535. (heh, my father enjoys naming his cars.)

My father is the one who drives it, although I live with it also and when i turn to look at it, It seems too "Old Man-ish".

We spent 33 on it, it was certified. What i am wondering is should i modify it without telling my father and if so, how much should i spend and what should i do?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 09:58 AM   #2
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i MSport

Modify his car without asking his permission? No way.
If you want to make it a joint project with his buy-in then there are several cosmetics mods - change the grills, rear spoiler, wheels, all the way up to swapping out the bumpers for the more aggressive MSport bumpers, then doing quad exhaust tips, front splitter, etc.
Google "F10 mods" and you'll find hundreds of examples.
Again, get his buy-in and involve him in the process.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 11:40 AM   #3
Das Johnson
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hes way too old, but he does appreciate a surprise!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 04:44 PM   #4
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Johnson
Hes way too old, but he does appreciate a surprise!

Thanks!
Way to old as in 60+ ?

If so, whats the reason behind you and your dad buying a car together? Assuming you then would be in your 30-40ies...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 09:46 PM   #5
Das Johnson
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
Way to old as in 60+ ?

If so, whats the reason behind you and your dad buying a car together? Assuming you then would be in your 30-40ies...
Hes 64 and has lung cancer, chemo made him too weak to work on cars and I am living with him temporarily to look after him. I thought it'd be nice to bring some of my mechanic buddies over on a day he is sleeping to put a few quick-ish mods on it for a surprise.

In his whole lifetime he has owned 4 cars... ('52 Ford "Nellie", e36 "Stratos", e39 "Bessie", f10 "Archimedes") he see's his cars as his "coin burning companions" through life.

I dont expect you to care, though. Just maybe about the mods to put on
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 10:08 PM   #6
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Johnson View Post
Hes 64 and has lung cancer, chemo made him too weak to work on cars and I am living with him temporarily to look after him. I thought it'd be nice to bring some of my mechanic buddies over on a day he is sleeping to put a few quick-ish mods on it for a surprise.

In his whole lifetime he has owned 4 cars... ('52 Ford "Nellie", e36 "Stratos", e39 "Bessie", f10 "Archimedes") he see's his cars as his "coin burning companions" through life.

Wow, sorry to hear about your father's condition. Lost my mom to brain cancer not too long ago.
But, regarding your topic. If he loves car and he sounds like one, I will make the car a sleeper.
Put a BMS JB4 Stage 2, Air Filter, Catless dp, Chargepipe, and let it rip without him noticing it until he gun it and open the hood afterward.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 02:16 AM   #7
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Johnson View Post

Sorry to hear about your dad's condition.

Also sorry if my comment came across as insensitive

Without the accompanying info, the OP just seemed a bit strange. Like either a teenager trying to modify his dads car, or a grown up man living with his parents and living off of them... Your explanation put's it into perspective though...

If you want quickish mods, I'd recommend getting new kidney grilles (blacked out or M5 LCI grilles with the "5" removed from the ///M5 badge), a spoiler lip on the trunk. Perhaps lowering it? And the bolt on performance mods as suggested by others
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 02:50 AM   #8
ARKONE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 458; '16 Escalade; '12 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
Sorry to hear about your dad's condition.

Also sorry if my comment came across as insensitive

Without the accompanying info, the OP just seemed a bit strange. Like either a teenager trying to modify his dads car, or a grown up man living with his parents and living off of them... Your explanation put's it into perspective though...

If you want quickish mods, I'd recommend getting new kidney grilles (blacked out or M5 LCI grilles with the "5" removed from the ///M5 badge), a spoiler lip on the trunk. Perhaps lowering it? And the bolt on performance mods as suggested by others
Not to threadjack, but where does one find the M5 LCI grille without the 5 at the end?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 04:08 AM   #9
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfa372 View Post
Not to threadjack, but where does one find the M5 LCI grille without the 5 at the end?
They all come with the ///M5 badge.

But the badge is separate pieces and the "5" comes off just by using your fingers to peel it off
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 06:22 AM   #10
Das Johnson
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Doesn't a lowering kit mess with the suspension or is it just the shocks? My dad was astounded with the smooth 7 series/Rolls Ghost ride, I always thought that lowering it would change the suspension firmness but maybe I am just a noob.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 09:07 AM   #11
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

I think you should stick to costmetic mods that he will instantly recognise but which do not destroy characteristics of the car tgat he likes, such as the ride. What colour is the car and which line? I.e.se, m sport or luxury, it will help knowing this in order to suggest mods that might suit the car
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 09:11 AM   #12
Das Johnson
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well he said he likes the normal oem style better than M Sport. Cosmetics might not be as good for someone like him. I think its luxury but it has the shadowline trim. So maybe Individual pkg (the 535 on the back and the x drive logos were gone when we got the car too)?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 10:45 AM   #13
Das Johnson
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hey! not sure if anyone cares, but just a little update.

I tried the sleeper idea, he nearly crashed it into a tree! I got an old-school scolding and immediately removed the mods. What I THEN tried was putting the m sport body kit on. He didn't even notice. When I told him he said hes too old for a sports car and he thought it'd look weird for an old guy in something sporty (Cmon! Every other old guy has a corvette to impress younger chicks!). My final attempt (because I spent a lot of time and money here!) was putting 2 German diplomat flags (so what he isn't a diplomat) in the crevices of the hood along with removing the country music that was installed in the cars memory and replacing it with German classical (Ex. Flight of the Valkyries). He absolutely loved it!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 08:37 AM   #14
Ben2k9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i M-Sport

did he pay for it? he may get cranky about any mods that mess with the warranty
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 11:07 AM   #15
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

I don't understand messing with someone's car when they are perfectly happy with it the way it is. I appreciate that you're trying to do something for him but sounds like he wants to keep it as is...
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 09:36 PM   #16
Das Johnson
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I haven't told the whole story but the entire reason I attempted to change it is because he kept complaining about stuff in it while also highlighting his favorite features, I thought that he thought that it wasn't an exact match for him. We wouldn't trade it in or spend the time finding something better suited so I decided to make some changes to it. The end result was just a few mild changes but it worked! I think he feels more confident and happier in it.

Also I used my own money.
Appreciate 0