2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Storage questions and answers

05-29-2014, 07:29 AM   #1
blkhwkcc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 528I M Sport

Garage List
Storage questions and answers

Ok I'm contacting the experts to get opinions.

I maybe taking a job that will cause me to store my f10 for 3 months at a time

Thinking about it I thought it would make more sense to buy a car trailer and pay for the trailer monthly and own something then a storage unit. My only concern would be the fact that the inside storage although not climate controlled has a roof that will control some of the heat.

I have a custom cover to put on it, and I am familiar with the things I need to do for 3 month storage.

What are your opinions on this pros and cons etc

Thanks in advance for the replys

Matt
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 07:43 AM   #2
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Where do you normally park your car?
      05-29-2014, 09:11 PM   #3
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

I wouldn't be overly concerned about storing the car outside with a car cover. The car cover would control most of the heat, I'd think. The cabin wouldn't be getting direct sunlight, but it'll still get hot... but that should cool each evening. Storing it inside is obviously better, but again, I don't think outside with a cover would be a deal-breaker. My first 3 series spent its entire life outside... poor thing never saw a garage OR a car cover, and I traveled for months at a time for a few years... leaving it sitting there, sometimes in an airport parking lot (company was paying the parking fees!). The biggest concern I'd have would be the battery and keeping it charged. But again, even with the relative abuse I put my 325 through back in the day, the battery lasted for about 5 years (pretty standard). I think the F10 has a less favorable track record for battery maintenance, though.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 03:57 AM   #4
blkhwkcc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 528I M Sport

Garage List
Garage

I usually store in a garage but losing it in the divorce lol

My main concern was I could but a car trailer and store it for less money than storing it in a storage unit. And in the end I would own a car trailer wise investing but that's the pros and cons I was throwing around was the car being in the trailer getting hotter than if it was in. The car trailer.
Appreciate 0