2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Throttle delay & Transmission hesitation Any SIB updates/solutions?

08-26-2015, 01:16 AM   #1
CLKFAN
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 528

Throttle delay & Transmission hesitation Any SIB updates/solutions?

Throttle delay & Transmission hesitation Any SIB updates/solutions?

Only one I could find is SIB 12 09 11 but it's too old according to the dealer.

My car has the throttle hesitation and my SA tried to have my transmission replaced so that it would have a new valve body and he also tried to have a brand new valve body installed as well but BMW engineering says my car is working as it should which is a cop out statement. My SA was able to drive and replicate the symptom and he tried his best to get this done and BMW is not going along with it because there are no fault codes. My SA feels that it's the way that the DME is communicating with the valve body from the transmission.

There must be a solution that could possibly be a software update or maybe even an aftermarket solution. If not I'm getting rid of this car.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 01:47 AM   #2
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

This is exactly why I got rid of my 2012 535xi. Inexcusable IMO.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 01:50 AM   #3
CLKFAN
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanM View Post
This is exactly why I got rid of my 2012 535xi. Inexcusable IMO.
I did some more searching and found this on bimmerfest and the SIB that was addressed is: SIB 24-03-13 which affected the DME and EGS systems.

I'm going to tell my SA about this.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 01:27 PM   #4
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLKFAN View Post
I did some more searching and found this on bimmerfest and the SIB that was addressed is: SIB 24-03-13 which affected the DME and EGS systems.

I'm going to tell my SA about this.
Good luck. My issue was not adequately resolved via software updates.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 09:52 AM   #5
Simple5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Read this:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1121959
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 10:23 AM   #6
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

I have had three f01 750. Each one had a horrendous delay.

You could press the pedal past the kickdown, sing the first verse of "happy birthday" and the damn car would still be in the gate.

My personal view is that this delay is a safety feature, kind of like an "are you sure" message from windows. Only, here it's the delay that acts as the confirmation you want to floor the car.
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2015, 10:28 AM   #7
CLKFAN
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple3 View Post
Does this reset apply to all f10 models? Mine is a n52 non turbo i6
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 10:53 AM   #8
Simple5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Give it a try!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 01:36 PM   #9
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post

You could press the pedal past the kickdown, sing the first verse of "happy birthday" and the damn car would still be in the gate.

My personal view is that this delay is a safety feature, kind of like an "are you sure" message from windows. Only, here it's the delay that acts as the confirmation you want to floor the car.
The design of a throttle to not respond, then surge, is in no way a safely feature and is in fact very dangerous. Just try pulling out into moving traffic and have it surge forward 2 seconds too late...

Had this caused an accident for me, which almost happened, I would have sued BMW.

It was explained to me that the delay was caused by the transmission "seeking", hence the attempted "fix" via a transmission software update.

My 2013 550i had zero delay. If my 2016 550i has any delay, it will promptly be returned.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 03:31 PM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I'm so surprised that anyone (BMW, garages or users) can accept that any delay/hesitation/surge is normal.

The same sort of issues afflicted some E60/E90 models with the 6-speed box. I've experience of both the 6 & 8-speed autos and never had these issues.

My current 535i has none of the issues, never has with 3-years of use. The box is impeccable in how it picks up, selects the appropriate gear from standstill, according to load.

Saying all this, my sister had a VW with the DSG box which was displaying all the issues. Absolutely dangerous. VW tried software updates which helped for a short while, only with a new box did the vehicle get mostly sorted, but never 100%. We knew it had something wrong, as we have an identical engine transmission in another similar VW vehicle, which has never displayed any of the issues.

Another new VW with the same setup, which replaced the troubled vehicle, is fine. We are still not sure what VW have done to improve things, if anything.

I feel some of it may be the tolerance stack in the mechanical build of the transmission. Reloading software or updating helps, but there appears to be something in the adaptations which over time (gearbox and/or user adaptions) can't accommodate smooth and consistent gearbox function. Does appear to be random, "some do, some don't" seems to apply.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2015, 04:22 PM   #11
Noncom23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i

Garage List
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Sorry to hear this is still going on. I may not get the beemer after all.
      09-05-2015, 08:37 AM   #12
CLKFAN
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple3 View Post
It doesn't work for the n52. I tried
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 02:40 PM   #13
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanM
Quote:

The design of a throttle to not respond, then surge, is in no way a safely feature and is in fact very dangerous. Just try pulling out into moving traffic and have it surge forward 2 seconds too late...

Had this caused an accident for me, which almost happened, I would have sued BMW.

It was explained to me that the delay was caused by the transmission "seeking", hence the attempted "fix" via a transmission software update.

My 2013 550i had zero delay. If my 2016 550i has any delay, it will promptly be returned.
Regardless, from an engineering standpoint, some amount of delay has to be due to "confirmation" acknowledgment.

Let's suppose the gas pedal generates a value between 0 and 255 depending how far you depress the pedal.

If you mash the gas pedal, the system is not simply going to increase the throttle to Wide Open just because a single value of 255 is received.

No, the system is going to verify that the pedal generated all of the interim values as you mash the pedal. Or, in the alternative, the system will wait 100 milliseconds to confirm the pedal is still at 255 (wide open).

There is no way BMW will increase the throttle to wide open upon receiving a single 255 value from the throttle.

Why?

Because, the system needs to confirm the wide open throttle command isn't spurious.

The only way to be absolutely sure a WOT command has been issued is to wait a few cycles to ensue the gas pedal isn't defective and the user really means wide open throttle.

Look, go to a 2003 Subaru Forester and mash the throttle. You will crap your pants on how immediate the engine spools up. That's the way linkage based gas pedals work. Electronic gas pedals suck.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 05:39 PM   #14
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Regardless, from an engineering standpoint, some amount of delay has to be due to "confirmation" acknowledgment.

Let's suppose the gas pedal generates a value between 0 and 255 depending how far you depress the pedal.

If you mash the gas pedal, the system is not simply going to increase the throttle to Wide Open just because a single value of 255 is received.

No, the system is going to verify that the pedal generated all of the interim values as you mash the pedal. Or, in the alternative, the system will wait 100 milliseconds to confirm the pedal is still at 255 (wide open).

There is no way BMW will increase the throttle to wide open upon receiving a single 255 value from the throttle.

Why?

Because, the system needs to confirm the wide open throttle command isn't spurious.

The only way to be absolutely sure a WOT command has been issued is to wait a few cycles to ensue the gas pedal isn't defective and the user really means wide open throttle.

Look, go to a 2003 Subaru Forester and mash the throttle. You will crap your pants on how immediate the engine spools up. That's the way linkage based gas pedals work. Electronic gas pedals suck.
A 100ms delay is irrelevant in this context. At issue is a delay of ~2sec.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 10:40 PM   #15
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanM
Quote:

Why?

A 100ms delay is irrelevant in this context. At issue is a delay of ~2sec.
You missed my point. I was only arguing that some amount of delay (not no delay) can be attributed to the "are you sure" concept of confirming the users wants WOT.

In my example, I said 100 ms.

The point is, that even on a perfectly working fly by wire throttle, some kind of delay is presented due to the confirmation process.

Next, my previous argument is that you could depress the accelerator and sing the first verse happy birthday before the car responds.

Clearly, I understand the issues symptoms.

Now, is it 1000 ms or 2000 ms? That's a different story. But, any rendition of the first verse of happy birthday (facetious) is over 2000 ms, right?

I am not buying the tranny defense.

I am confident this delay is intentionally inserted by BMW for some reason. My guess is it's a safety reason.

BMW is all about safety and nanny safety.

Why is it so preposterous that BMW would insert a hefty delay after you depress the accelerator? 99.% of BMW drivers probably couldn't tell there is a delay.

People on this board are in the 1% that can sense the delay as something adverse.

But, your average Jo schmo isn't going to hit WOT anyway for fear it will kill their gas budget.

We may never know the cause of this delay. But, until we know for sure, my guess is just as good as your guess, right?
Appreciate 0