2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 550i exhaust question (new to this forum)

06-05-2018, 02:50 AM   #1
Willthethrill
Rep
Drives: F10 550i xDrive

550i exhaust question (new to this forum)

Just got myself a 2015 550i xDrive w/ M Sport in black. As with most people I'm assuming the first upgrade is changing out the really quiet exhaust. The best option seems to be throwing in M5 mufflers.

So I'm gueissing the only way to get my hands on a pair is to wait for someone to get rid of theirs on here? Or are there better options.
Appreciate 1
Ickdeep5718.50
      06-05-2018, 03:35 AM   #2
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

Everyone opinion of quiet and loud, good and bad, vary, greatly.
There are a number of products out there, depends on your taste and wallet.
Do some research on youtube for your favorite.
If M5 is your favorite, there is here, other bmw forums, M5 forums, eBay and the like.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 09:04 AM   #3
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willthethrill View Post
Just got myself a 2015 550i xDrive w/ M Sport in black. As with most people I'm assuming the first upgrade is changing out the really quiet exhaust. The best option seems to be throwing in M5 mufflers.

So I'm gueissing the only way to get my hands on a pair is to wait for someone to get rid of theirs on here? Or are there better options.
Congratz and welcome!

Correct, check the "Owner's Market Place" for both F10 and F10 M5. https://f10.5post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=315 and https://f10.m5post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=432

This is what I did with my car (it is a 535i so a little different): I got M5 muffler and the sound just wasn't there. And instead of spending like +$1k for an exhaust, I did a muffler delete and couldn't be more happier.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 07:14 PM   #4
Willthethrill
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
Quote:

Congratz and welcome!

Correct, check the "Owner's Market Place" for both F10 and F10 M5. https://f10.5post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=315 and https://f10.m5post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=432

This is what I did with my car (it is a 535i so a little different): I got M5 muffler and the sound just wasn't there. And instead of spending like +$1k for an exhaust, I did a muffler delete and couldn't be more happier.
If I remove the mufflers completely I'm going to fail inspection. I don't want to have to worry about that. I'm wondering if the m5 mufflers would be considerably louder with the V8 versus your 6 cylinder. I would assume so right?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 07:17 PM   #5
Willthethrill
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcr3d View Post
Everyone opinion of quiet and loud, good and bad, vary, greatly.
There are a number of products out there, depends on your taste and wallet.
Do some research on youtube for your favorite.
If M5 is your favorite, there is here, other bmw forums, M5 forums, eBay and the like.
I agree with that. I'm just looking for something that lets me "hear" the car. Not necessarily looking for something that would give me performance gains, or sound like a ricer. Every time I start the car you'd swear I was turning on a tesla. It's so quiet.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 10:23 PM   #6
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Quote:
If I remove the mufflers completely I'm going to fail inspection. I don't want to have to worry about that. I'm wondering if the m5 mufflers would be considerably louder with the V8 versus your 6 cylinder. I would assume so right?
I don't think it will be worth the effort of buying and installing those M5 mufflers for the sound difference. I would suggest a downpipe (catted if you're worried about emissions) and then the eisenmann race exhaust system. great sound!

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 10:24 PM   #7
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I don't think it will be worth the effort of buying and installing those M5 mufflers for the sound difference. I would suggest a downpipe (catted if you're worried about emissions) and then the eisenmann race or supersprint exhaust system. my personal fave - great sound!

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 11:53 PM   #8
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

usually the guys who want to stick with BMW components go with the M5 mufflers as from what I've seen has little to no modification if you're just replacing the mufflers. sounds really good as I've heard many YouTube clips. I went with the Meisterschaft's as I wanted a nice deep exotic tone and the Meister's don't disappoint. but than again it all depends on your budget and how much you want to spend? the MarketPlace is where to find great deals as a lot of guys will sell their parts after their lease is up for getting into a different car or something just like how I found my Meisterschaft's tho I had to drive from Ohio to New York to get them

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 01:10 AM   #9
Willthethrill
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
usually the guys who want to stick with BMW components go with the M5 mufflers as from what I've seen has little to no modification if you're just replacing the mufflers. sounds really good as I've heard many YouTube clips. I went with the Meisterschaft's as I wanted a nice deep exotic tone and the Meister's don't disappoint. but than again it all depends on your budget and how much you want to spend? the MarketPlace is where to find great deals as a lot of guys will sell their parts after their lease is up for getting into a different car or something just like how I found my Meisterschaft's tho I had to drive from Ohio to New York to get them

Yea that's all I'm really looking for is some sound. Some of those exhausts sound awesome but come with the price tag as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 03:16 PM   #10
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Quote:
No you would not fail. You would fail if you took your CAT's out. I have a friend that did that with a 550i and its more of an M5 sound which isn't really that loud compared to muffler delete
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 04:37 PM   #11
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep
Drives: 24 X3 M40i/14 550i/08 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
My 2 cents on the M5 mufflers, don't do it. I had them on my car for 2 weeks and went back to stock until I decide which purposely made for the 550i muffler setup to go with. The M5 mufflers sound great when you floor it, but let go of the gas peddle and you get this awful back pressure noise coming out of them. Also, claims of "zero drone" are invalid". They do between 1K and 2K RPM.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 05:33 PM   #12
Willthethrill
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
Quote:
No you would not fail. You would fail if you took your CAT's out. I have a friend that did that with a 550i and its more of an M5 sound which isn't really that loud compared to muffler delete
I looked it up (in NJ atleast) every motor vehicle requires a muffler be installed. Not sure about other states.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 05:35 PM   #13
Willthethrill
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spielnicht View Post
My 2 cents on the M5 mufflers, don't do it. I had them on my car for 2 weeks and went back to stock until I decide which purposely made for the 550i muffler setup to go with. The M5 mufflers sound great when you floor it, but let go of the gas peddle and you get this awful back pressure noise coming out of them. Also, claims of "zero drone" are invalid". They do between 1K and 2K RPM.
I'm considering the Megan racing mufflers instead. Easier to get and they sound pretty decent too. And not expensive
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 05:15 AM   #14
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'm considering the Megan racing mufflers instead. Easier to get and they sound pretty decent too. And not expensive
I wouldn’t say you’ll get a very impressive sound unless you get downpipes too
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 10:12 AM   #15
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep
Drives: 550i

m5 comp package exhaust sounds good, its subtle and if you get the exhaust meister you can open and close the valves manually.

there's a few on sale on the forums

you will need the m5 diffuser (or m5 compattible) diffuser, and a few other parts...(including the crossmember with bushings)

i didn't want anything super loud, so i stuck witht he m5 comp package...

I really wanted the akrapovic system (also for the m5) but couldn't justify spending 10k on it...
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 08:24 AM   #16
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpanipuri View Post
I really wanted the akrapovic system (also for the m5) but couldn't justify spending 10k on it...
That's a Badass exhaust! Until i saw the price tag of course. The Meisterschaft's are up there too and i get giddy everytime i think about what a great deal i scored on mine
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 07:51 AM   #17
krautmeister
krrrraaauuuuut
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X Drive M-Sport

Garage List
G12 750i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I did Megans... I think U can look up my DIY on the pipe diagrams for a std MSport diffuser... but I've since gone to M5 diffuser so I need to update the CAD layout of the pipe (which I want to create new pipes bc I booger welded mine the first time) and also add a resonator tube for the drone.... there is drone 1 - 2k rpms.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 12:24 PM   #18
Willthethrill
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krautmeister View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I did Megans... I think U can look up my DIY on the pipe diagrams for a std MSport diffuser... but I've since gone to M5 diffuser so I need to update the CAD layout of the pipe (which I want to create new pipes bc I booger welded mine the first time) and also add a resonator tube for the drone.... there is drone 1 - 2k rpms.
My plan is to just leave the existing stock resonators in, and simply swap out the mufflers. Seems to be the solution to the drone issue with those Megan's.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 01:01 PM   #19
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep

Quote:
My plan is to just leave the existing stock resonators in, and simply swap out the mufflers. Seems to be the solution to the drone issue with those Megan's.
That should be perfect for your taste. just make sure you pick a good muffler and you're good to go.

I would also suggest to add a nice stainless steel x-pipe in there.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 04:23 PM   #20
krautmeister
krrrraaauuuuut
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X Drive M-Sport

Garage List
G12 750i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I did only mufflers... trust me it drones.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 05:33 PM   #21
daniel_f10
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

Quote:
I did only mufflers... trust me it drones.
How bad is the drone ? And is it worth it ?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 06:57 PM   #22
Willthethrill
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mexican Women View Post
Quote:
That should be perfect for your taste. just make sure you pick a good muffler and you're good to go.

I would also suggest to add a nice stainless steel x-pipe in there.
It's my understanding that installing the x-pipe requires the removal of the resonators.
Appreciate 0