2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding unofficial F10 coding. Why are BMW not offering these customisations?

06-13-2012, 06:09 AM   #1
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

unofficial F10 coding. Why are BMW not offering these customisations?

With many threads here about coding cars (especially this latest one - http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696777).

I'm wondering why BMW don't offer the features that people have found?

Some I get which may be down to legislation for each country but others I just don't get.

Examples, indicators on the HUD. Why don't BMW offer that, why is it in the software for the car but not released?
Power and torque indicators - again why not released?

So why is this code in there?
Is it Beta and a comitte decided it should not be released so its 'disabled'.

I've not coded my car (can't deny me it concerns me as regards messing it up and invalidating my waranty) but those of you who work in I.T., it looks a bit like the registry in Windows .

Also what tools are BMW using to configure cars. I've mentioned E-SYS to a couple of dealers and got blank looks, which implies they are not using that. I thought E-SYS WAS BMW software - is that not the case?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
ImSW1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
With many threads here about coding cars (especially this latest one - http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696777).

I'm wondering why BMW don't offer the features that people have found?

Some I get which may be down to legislation for each country but others I just don't get.

Examples, indicators on the HUD. Why don't BMW offer that, why is it in the software for the car but not released?
Power and torque indicators - again why not released?

So why is this code in there?
Is it Beta and a comitte decided it should not be released so its 'disabled'.

I've not coded my car (can't deny me it concerns me as regards messing it up and invalidating my waranty) but those of you who work in I.T., it looks a bit like the registry in Windows .

Also what tools are BMW using to configure cars. I've mentioned E-SYS to a couple of dealers and got blank looks, which implies they are not using that. I thought E-SYS WAS BMW software - is that not the case?
E-Sys isn't a dealer tool, it's a BMW factory tool written by ESG. BMW regional techs/reps normally have a copy but it's not software that is released to the dealers. Your dealer is using ISTA P/D to work on your car, so that's why they give you blank stares. I’ve discussed this with my service tech, and while they don’t do coding themselves, they basically turn a blind eye to it. Your mileage may vary!

Now why doesn't BMW offer these options to us right out of the box? Many reasons I would guess. For the U.S., it's probably our litigious nature, or maybe there were too many warranty calls on that option in the past, maybe they feel we're not smart enough to use it correctly, or it’s something they intend to release in a model year refresh. Who knows truthfully? All I know is at the moment we can change different little things on our cars, and whether it’s spoilers, wheels or coding, it’s just something a lot of us do.

Sean
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

That explains the blank looks from the dealers then. I assumed they would have the tools to get to every nook and cranny on the car.

All very interesting , thanks
Appreciate 0