2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Rear view camera latches and thoughts on security

10-22-2016, 04:36 PM   #1
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA M Sport

Rear view camera latches and thoughts on security

Today when opening the trunk I touched (didn't push, touched) the rear view camera and oops it went right back into the trunk. I wiggled a bit the plastic trunk opener holder and it came off - no surprises - there are two plastic latches holding the camera into place which somehow broke off even though, AFAIR, I never abused the camera in any way. Should be an easy repair - holder is something like 30 USD. However:

1. The way how the rear view camera is affixed to the trunk is ridiculous - I have stronger latches in my PC case.
2. What is even more ridiculous is how incredibly easy it is to steal these camera in 10 seconds or less, but I wouldn't go into details on a public forum.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 02:33 PM   #2
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA M Sport

OK, to update. The latches are actually quite strong, but either the plastic aged or someone tried to steal my camera. Here's the old part:

Now the mandatory DIY follow-up. Part No. (in my case) is 51-24-7-368-753
RELEASE SWITCH, 24 EUR w/o shipping.

Note 1: No need to remove trunk liner. Tools required - small fingers, plastic pry tool, cloth (to avoid scratches and dings), long flat-head screwdriver, hand lotion (for afterwards...).
Note 2: The release switch is a consumable - if you install it you can't remove it without destroying it (confirmed with ISTA). Now, I learned this the hard way and managed to remove it again while breaking only a single plastic latch - it looks like a good seal to me, but danger of water ingress so I may replace again.

1. Remove old switch - use a plastic tool and a cloth if yours is not broken to wiggle it out. It's held into place by several (6 I think) plastic latches - if it's broken just tear (carefully) away ;-)
2. Disconnect trunk opener wire - some wiggling action required, think there's a release latch too - mine came out pretty easily.
3. Install rear view camera in the receptacle - not a whole lot of wire and space to work with... Now, here's the tricky part - before you reinstall the release switch make absolutely sure that both camera latches have clicked - this requires excessive force and some pressure from the the top (I used a key, you can use a small flathead screwdriver). If both latches don't engage, it it will go right back into the trunk.
4. Test that the switch works and that it can open the trunk. Test that the camera cannot be easily pushed back.
5. Push the switch into the slot make sure it's clicked into place on all sides. Visually inspect for gaps.
6. Use hand lotion as needed on sore fingers.

Difficulty: 2/10
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 09:20 PM   #3
Mbbrewer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 550i

Tldr
Appreciate 0