2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Coils or Air?

10-31-2016, 08:59 AM   #1
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

Coils or Air?

First of all, I don't like the idea of airbag suspension on a higher performing car but I'm open ears if it's a viable option. I just hear many horror stories of constant issues with air suspension, such as strut failures.

I've been on springs for 50k+ miles and I'm at 92k now and I understand that it's only a matter of time until my shocks go. So I'm looking into opinions if I should go bags or coils?

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 09:43 AM   #2
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
If you would like to keep your car a performance sedan, then bags shouldn't even be on your mind. Without question, stick with coils.

On a side note, that's fantastic that your cars shocks (are they stock) have lasted 50k on springs alone. What kind of springs did you go with?

Car looks amazing as well!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 10:09 AM   #3
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

i've read enough of air bag suspension and it's been proven to be just as good or even better than coilovers. look into Accuair for Air Managment but everything else you'll probably have to piece together. it's been talked about on the M5 board. something i would do if i had the funds but i don't lol!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 10:45 AM   #4
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30toF30 View Post
If you would like to keep your car a performance sedan, then bags shouldn't even be on your mind. Without question, stick with coils.

On a side note, that's fantastic that your cars shocks (are they stock) have lasted 50k on springs alone. What kind of springs did you go with?

Car looks amazing as well!
Thanks!

Coils is definitely what I'm leaning towards to considering all the performance mods I have and I've been on H&R's.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 11:31 AM   #5
Jason49
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i

Love those new wheels. Car looks awesome!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 01:00 PM   #6
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep
Drives: 550i

I hear Airlift is good for Air Suspension - my buddy just replaced his coilovers with airlift on his s4.

Airlift has both height and pressure sensors, so it adjusts height and pressure based on load etc.

Accuair also has a kit for our car, i believe that works with OEM shocks (or oem replacements) and is just an air spring.

Air suspension has come along way for performance applications, couple that with height adjustability it seems like a good option. However it can be pricey. Think close to 5k installed....where coilovers would run 1/2 that...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 07:33 AM   #7
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpanipuri View Post
I hear Airlift is good for Air Suspension - my buddy just replaced his coilovers with airlift on his s4.

Airlift has both height and pressure sensors, so it adjusts height and pressure based on load etc.

Accuair also has a kit for our car, i believe that works with OEM shocks (or oem replacements) and is just an air spring.

Air suspension has come along way for performance applications, couple that with height adjustability it seems like a good option. However it can be pricey. Think close to 5k installed....where coilovers would run 1/2 that...
+1 that's why i said if anything air suspension is actually better than coilovers as they have much improved the performance and reliability with air suspension. there is that one YouTube video with the Audi and 4 guys get in and the vehicle automatically adjust to the load which i thought was pretty cool. i get 4 people in my car and my car drops big time! but i just don't see myself dropping that much cash on air suspension unless money was no object than i'd be all over it

here's a forum member riding on air! it's just ridiculous looking! love it especially it's a F11!

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 07:52 AM   #8
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep

Air definitely does look better but I would never sacrifice performance for aesthetics. That's not my style. And from everything I've been reading, air suspension is 'sloppy' when it comes to handling vs coilovers. And that's one of the most important things to me when it comes to suspension. I can't fathom spending $4k+ for degraded handling just for a gain in comfort, that's a big step backwards for me.

Anyone with coilovers have any suggestions?

I like KW but if Megan and BC are decent, I would consider especially at nearly half the price.

Last edited by SLVSRFR; 11-01-2016 at 08:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 09:56 AM   #9
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVSRFR View Post
Anyone with coilovers have any suggestions?

I like KW but if Megan and BC are decent, I would consider especially at nearly half the price.
when i first started my research on coilovers i spent a pretty good month before i decided what i wanted. i looked at the cheaper coilovers ie BC Racing, Megan's, STSupension, ect and the price on them were all comparable to each other. checked reviews and first hand experience from users and never came across one thread to where any of these actually failed. and this was across all BMW makes and models. most people criticized them and not actually owning them. some complained because they're China made? tho ST's are actually here in the US and is a sister company to KW but i read the ST's are not corosion resistant but still built to KW spec wise. that's why i steered away from that (corosion). the Vogtaland's are the only coilovers i could not find anyone actually running them? for my personal experience i decided i wanted to go with KW's just because they were hands down the best coilover for the BMW. i just wasn't sure which version i wanted to go with? I did get lucky and scored a set from a forum member here for a ridiculous price of $500 for the KWv1's. it really comes down to your budget really. i know Auto Talent quoted me $1350 back a couple of years ago

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 11-01-2016 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 02:53 PM   #10
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
when i first started my research on coilovers i spent a pretty good month before i decided what i wanted. i looked at the cheaper coilovers ie BC Racing, Megan's, STSupension, ect and the price on them were all comparable to each other. checked reviews and first hand experience from users and never came across one thread to where any of these actually failed. and this was across all BMW makes and models. most people criticized them and not actually owning them. some complained because they're China made? tho ST's are actually here in the US and is a sister company to KW but i read the ST's are not corosion resistant but still built to KW spec wise. that's why i steered away from that (corosion). the Vogtaland's are the only coilovers i could not find anyone actually running them? for my personal experience i decided i wanted to go with KW's just because they were hands down the best coilover for the BMW. i just wasn't sure which version i wanted to go with? I did get lucky and scored a set from a forum member here for a ridiculous price of $500 for the KWv1's. it really comes down to your budget really. i know Auto Talent quoted me $1350 back a couple of years ago
Nice! Thanks for all your input, it's much appreciated. I'll definitely be on the look out for any KW that come up for sale. If not, I'll give Auto Talent a call.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 08:15 PM   #11
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F07 LCI

I've thought about this too.

Air has definitely come a long way undoubtedly. However, I still hear cases about people going back to the conventional coilover setup after dealing with worsened handling, or sometimes even popped bags. Yet, I rarely ever hear anyone "upset" after they did coilovers.

I'm working with CKS Suspension on developing the world's first F07 coilover setup. I had H&R's on my last car with the EDC, and I thought that was great. Boy, was I wrong. Coilovers are on another level.

First off, the adjustability is fantastic. My ride height is perfect, and although I'm much lower than my H&R setup was, it actually rides smoother and takes bumps way better. Also, the handling is just phenomenal. I can't resist throwing the car hard into corners now. Body roll is minimal and the car feels much more planted around the bends. Plus, while you don't the on-the-fly ride height adjustability of air, coilovers have always had a certain level of respect in the community.

I don't see myself ever going another route after going with coils. There are a few solid brands out there, but if I have to give my two cents, CKS is definitely one of the best. The ride quality is on par with KW, and the adjustability and quality of materials is superb. Two thumbs up
Appreciate 1