2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Active Protection doubts

03-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep
Drives: F11 535d MY2013

Active Protection doubts

Not that I am hoping to hear first-hand experience, but can anyone describe how the Active Protection option (5AL) works? Technically speaking, how does the car "know" that a collision is imminent and activate the protection systems?
One specific doubt that I have is how fast the windows/glass roof close in such occasion... Supposedly quickly enough so that all windows are fully closed before the collision, I guess.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 07:29 AM   #2
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

The car detects a possible collision though

1) Extreme braking.
2) Detecting the car is in a oversteer or understeer skid through the DSC system.
3) If fitted, using the Active Cruise control radar to detect a object infront of the car.

Seat belts will be pre-tensioned, Sunroof closed and windows closed as fast as the car can.
Whether they are fully closed when you hit whatever you hit depends on how long you have before you hit it and how far open they were. Every situation would be different