2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Faulty alarm

03-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
andyk500
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M sport Carbon Black

Faulty alarm

Driving around town today the alarm on my F10 started to sound whilst driving. It sounded for thirty seconds or so then went off for a minute then started back up, all whilst I'm driving. Got a few strange looks at the lights. Pulled over and checked all the doors, windows, boot etc and locked the car, the alarm stopped. Got back in and drove off, 5 mins later it went off again. So decided to drive to my nearest dealer, 20 miles away and drove there with the alarm screaming away the whole journey, got to the dealer, they had a go at resetting it via software to no avail. As it was a Saturday and they were ready to close they decided to remove the alarm so I could take my car for the weekend and bring it back next week to be fixed. They removed the alarm and it continued to go off......the fitter then put it in a steel box, then put the box in a cupboard and we could still hear it....let's hope the back up battery runs out before they open up on Monday otherwise I think it will be thrown in the river next to the dealers....
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

If the car is no longer giving a visible alarm warning ( indicator lights flashing ) then there was probably just a problem with the Emergency power siren.

The emergency power Siren will sound if it thinks its being tampered with, such as cutting a a wire going to it.

You hopefully just need a new siren as it may have a problem in its control circuitry.
      03-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
andyk500
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M sport Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
If the car is no longer giving a visible alarm warning ( indicator lights flashing ) then there was probably just a problem with the Emergency power siren.

The emergency power Siren will sound if it thinks its being tampered with, such as cutting a a wire going to it.

You hopefully just need a new siren as it may have a problem in its control circuitry.
Sounds like that's what it is, thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: i3,E21,M2,E23, Skoda Kodiaq

I had the same problem with my F11. It was a short circuit under the rear bumper. Kept on going off while driving, was really terrible. But now its fixed!
Appreciate 0