2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Maserati Ghibli or BMW 550?

03-21-2014, 08:22 AM   #1
TxBeem
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Maserati Ghibli or BMW 550?

I don't hear a lot of good things about the 5 series from this forum so i am looking for other options. Pricing for the two is similar.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 11:19 AM   #2
Cairo Kid
Private First Class
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M Sport Package

I couldn't be happier with my 550. For me, there are no major issues to speak of. It's customized the way I want and even though I like other F10s, I wouldn't trade. There's more than enough power for me and, with an aftermarket exhaust, it sounds the way I want it to. It's reliable, nimble, the service package is great (here it's up to 7 years).

Maserati's are nice, but I wouldn't even consider one if it's my only car.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 11:40 AM   #3
RetroB
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20d

I vote for the Ghibli. To me it feels more "special" than a F10. You see a F10 on almost every corner nowadays its just.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 03:49 PM   #4
BavariaExclusive
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Spaceship

If you're just looking to be known as someone who owns a baseline Maserati. Sure go right ahead but 550 will eat that car alive in a race. And of course Maserati parts will be super expensive as BMW maintenance are known to be covered end to end.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 04:03 PM   #5
BavariaExclusive
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

To keep in mind Maserati and Chrysler have the same parent company. I mean I can understand if you're going for the Grandturismo but Ghibli? Make sure to park the car face front if you do consider buying it because the back surely can be mistaken for a Kia.

Gluck man.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 04:03 PM   #6
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

I'm not sure why you'd say you don't hear good things being said here on the forum about the F10? I think most of the owners here are actually very pleased with their car. The F10 is probably one of the best BMWs in the current line-up (my opinion, of course). When I purchased mine, cost wasn't the top consideration - I could have afforded a significantly more expensive car (MSRP on my 550xi was $86k), or I could have chosen something more economical. The 550xi, for me, won hands-down in the mid-sized executive sedan class. Nothing from the competitors stacked up as well... despite admittedly nice competition.

I test drove Audi and MB - both were nice enough, but they still didn't match BMW's overall comprehensive approach to luxury and sportiness in the same package. While the 5 has gone a bit more "luxury" than "sport" in the latest generation if you read the reviews, some time behind the wheel of an M Sport equipped car will tell you it's still awfully sporty and capable. Plus, the design, materials, and luxury are oozing from this car. Load it up as I did (minus only B&O and night vision), and you have one truly luxurious and FAST sedan.

The Maserati? I wouldn't even consider it - and that's coming from a Ferrari enthusiast. Everyone I've known with a Quattroporte has had underwhelming things to say - after the "I have a unique, Italian, supercar sedan" sensation wore-off, that is, and reality set-in. Maintenance, and the owners I know have reported much of it on the Quattroporte (have to believe the Ghibli would follow-suit), is plentiful and expensive.

Italians know sexy sports cars - no doubt. The engines sound great, and the Ghibli S Q4 gets some impressive power from a turbo-6 (~400 HP and TQ), but despite being the lighter car compared to a 550xi, it still gets to 60 half a second slower. The 550xi is still putting down more power, and likely more efficiently from what these numbers would indicate. For the hell of it, I attempted to equally equip a Ghibli S Q4 with the options that would match my 550xi, and the car comes out nearly $10k more... while still not offering many of the options you can get on the BMW.

Lastly, I also think the Ghibli lacks in looks. Yes, you see 5 series everywhere you look. And guess what? I still look at each one that passes and think, "what a beautiful car." Just because seeing a Ghibli may be more rare doesn't make it look any better. I personally think it looks like Infiniti's sedan lineup... similar curves and proportions. The F10 is more stately and a bit reserved some may say... but it's classically good looking.

I'd say if you wanted a temperamental sports car for the weekend that'll get your blood flowing, go buy something Italian. But when you want a high-quality, well-engineered and luxurious four door executive sedan... you buy something German. And of the Germans in the mid-sized luxury segment, I don't think anything beats the F10 at the moment. My two cents.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 03:56 AM   #7
AuburnM5
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Garage List
2013 BMW 535i  [0.00]
The interior is pretty average. It uses cheap plastic Chrysler parts.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 09:12 AM   #8
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnM5 View Post
The interior is pretty average. It uses cheap plastic Chrysler parts.
+1 .... Drove a ghibli for the shit of it ... The 550xi wipes the floor with that thing and the interior does use cheap feeling materials ... 5er interior is far superior in quality

It's a poor mans Maserati as another pointed out
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 09:46 AM   #9
SDf10
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16' F80 YMB M3

Have you even been inside the ghibli or driven it? I have and was not impressed. The interior is horrible and does not belong in any 80k+ car, especially Maserati. You don't hear good things about the F10 in the F10 forum?? Really?? That's a first one for me to tell you the truth.

At the end of the day, it's your money, so do what your heart and wallet tell you. But IMHO the F10 is a way better car.
      03-22-2014, 10:59 AM   #10
JamRWS6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Competition

Saw a Ghibli at the autoshow. Not only is it smaller than a 5 the most off putting thing for me was the clunk on the doors when shutting. The 20k Hyundai had doors that sounded of better quality when shutting.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 02:16 PM   #11
BMPOWERED
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 650 GC M sport

Never expect to get an unbiased opinion on a forum dedicated to one of the models you are asking about.
2007 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 (sold)
2001 BMW 325ci (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 01:39 PM   #12
BavariaExclusive
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ghibli is such a scam. After them dropping the value down to less than half of a true Maserati. I've lost respect for them in general. They're desperate for buyers.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 12:49 PM   #13
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46-C6-F10 View Post
Never expect to get an unbiased opinion on a forum dedicated to one of the models you are asking about.
This may be a valid point - as obviously the people here have purchased their car for a reason. If they honestly thought another brand was better, they wouldn't be driving BMWs right now.

That said, some of us are true enthusiasts who love cars of great quality regardless of the brand. I'd count myself among them. I'm also a huge fan of Italian sports cars, so I probably have a bias that makes me naturally want to love a Ghibli. But alas, I don't.

Aside from the disappointing level of finish quality, I just think you're getting a lot less car and performance for the money when comparing it to a 550. BMW just did (most) everything right with the F10 by my book for an executive sports sedan.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 12:13 AM   #14
BMPOWERED
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 650 GC M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
This may be a valid point - as obviously the people here have purchased their car for a reason. If they honestly thought another brand was better, they wouldn't be driving BMWs right now.

That said, some of us are true enthusiasts who love cars of great quality regardless of the brand. I'd count myself among them. I'm also a huge fan of Italian sports cars, so I probably have a bias that makes me naturally want to love a Ghibli. But alas, I don't.

Aside from the disappointing level of finish quality, I just think you're getting a lot less car and performance for the money when comparing it to a 550. BMW just did (most) everything right with the F10 by my book for an executive sports sedan.
Although I stand by my original post, I agree with you 100%. I always try to remain objective when commenting because I am a true enthusiast of cars in general. That being said, I love Italian sports cars as well and would own a 458 Italia if I could afford one. I could afford a Ghibli though. Although I like the sporty exterior styling, I wasn't too impressed with the exterior, especially compared to the F10. But when its all said and done, I did not have complete confidence in Maserati's workmanship and reliability. I felt the F10 was better overall package.
2007 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 (sold)
2001 BMW 325ci (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 04:24 AM   #15
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
This is probably less true in the USA then in other countries (because cars are so cheap in the US, even though US buyers won't stop complaining ). Somewhat true in Europe and very true in Asia.

The difference between a 'base' 520i/d and a 550i/d is about more that double the price (triple if you fully option the 550) and the streets are filled with 'base' models everywhere and whatever your thoughts are about poser etc, when you play that much money a certain amount of exclusivity is desirable which the Ghibli will provide as the cheapest gbhibli will be 550 territory. so you get 535 type performane and maserati exclusivity and unreliability at loaded 550 price. I think its a fair trade and a good value proposition for many people who would never push a 550 to its true perf potential anyways but can afford a nicer car.

the if I see a very rare ghibli maybe once a month if im lucky, it piques my interest. If i see an F10 which i do anytime i am on a road, i only check to see if its an LCI that still has some novelty. For most people, an F10 is just an f10--no difference between a 520 or a loaded 550. it is the same reason of getting wrx sti vs a 328ixdrive or nissan gtr vs a porsche 911 4s.
Sold E90 335i M Sport Alpine White|Tokyo
Sold E36 328i Jet Black|NYC
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 08:43 AM   #16
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhter View Post
This is probably less true in the USA then in other countries (because cars are so cheap in the US, even though US buyers won't stop complaining ). Somewhat true in Europe and very true in Asia.

The difference between a 'base' 520i/d and a 550i/d is about more that double the price (triple if you fully option the 550) and the streets are filled with 'base' models everywhere and whatever your thoughts are about poser etc, when you play that much money a certain amount of exclusivity is desirable which the Ghibli will provide as the cheapest gbhibli will be 550 territory. so you get 535 type performane and maserati exclusivity and unreliability at loaded 550 price. I think its a fair trade and a good value proposition for many people who would never push a 550 to its true perf potential anyways but can afford a nicer car.

the if I see a very rare ghibli maybe once a month if im lucky, it piques my interest. If i see an F10 which i do anytime i am on a road, i only check to see if its an LCI that still has some novelty. For most people, an F10 is just an f10--no difference between a 520 or a loaded 550. it is the same reason of getting wrx sti vs a 328ixdrive or nissan gtr vs a porsche 911 4s.
First, you're very right about those of us in the US who complain about car prices - I guess it's all relative, but most US buyers aren't even aware of how expensive their car is overseas. I had my eyes opened to this via forums with heavy international participation. Natural tendency is to believe that a retail price is a retail price regardless of geography. So, I certainly feel for some of you out there who are paying super high prices for these cars (or any car).

As for the Ghibli exclusivity, though, I just can't see myself being motivated to buy one for that reason - not in whole or part. Many cars may be rare, but the reasons why can vary. A Yugo is also rare, but I wouldn't put its form of rare side-by-side with that of a Ferrari.

Rareness may also have something to do with market demand. Jaguars are a lot less popular than BMW, Audi, and MB. I see plenty of them, but nowhere near the quantity of the Germans. It isn't because Jaguar is unwilling to produce and sell more of their cars... just that people aren't willing to buy more of them, even if they directly compete in price with the German manufacturers.

True exclusivity comes from limited supply, not limited demand. Ferrari could have sold many more than 499 LaFerrari's - but the car is exclusive because of its limited supply. The Maserati Ghibli will be "exclusive" only due to its limited demand... as buyers in this price range are still flocking to competitors for the reasons noted here.

I think this is Maserati's attempt to go "down market" - and they'll snag people who are more concerned with status symbols and exclusivity than those who are looking for the best quality. It reminds me a bit of Jaguar's x-type that was little more than a refactored Ford Contour sold at 2x the price... and it attracted buyers who wanted to say they drove a Jaguar. However, it could never succeed at stealing away buyers from the other sport-sedan segments, like the 3-series, C-class, or A4.

I don't think the Ghibli is a terrible car... just not a great value and not terribly beautiful or refined. I can understand what Maserati is looking to do, but they need to also be concerned that they don't water-down their brand reputation, less they lose their true clients who buy higher-end staples of the brand. If a brand is going to move down market (BMW has done it successfully), the cars they produce must be truly competitive in those market segments... not just sub-par and over-priced competitors hoping to attract market-share based upon the reputations of their up-market, flagship products.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 10:22 AM   #17
Noer
Cand.race
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

Garage List
2010 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Living in a country with 180% tax on cars I can say I have never seen a Maserati Ghibli on the road here - and 550i are very rare aswell.

From what I know of the running costs and reliability of the Maserati's here I would never choose that brand - especially not their "entry"-level model.
      03-26-2014, 11:00 PM   #18
BavariaExclusive
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Now if you go post this same question on a Maserati forum. You might see a complete opposite response. In the end you are the one who has to make the decision.

Write down the positives and negatives. Take it from there.
Appreciate 0