2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Going insane need help - UPDATE PROBLEM LOCATED

05-28-2016, 08:12 PM   #1
M6NIAC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550

Going insane need help - UPDATE PROBLEM LOCATED

So after only taking the car to the dealership 100 times they "believe" they located the problem. They called me and said they believe 100% that the noise is coming from the right side axle! They are ordering all the parts they need and they are installing everything tomorrow morning so I will post another update tomorrow. Hope those who have this similar problem will not have to go through the same situation as I did (spending countless hours at the dealership and on the phone trying to figure out what it could be).

For those wondering what problem I was going through, I had a very annoying ticking sound that was coming from the front of the car. Every time I made a left or right turn at about 90 degrees the sound would get louder and tick faster.

Possible Solutions:
- Check hub/wheel bearings
- Check Axle
- Check CV joint/boot
- Check Steering Rack
- TPMS (Could be damaged/broken causing it to make a noise)
- Broken plastic parts

Thanks to all those who commented below possible solutions!

Last edited by M6NIAC; 06-08-2016 at 12:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 10:11 PM   #2
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

i know you said this already but ticking or clicking? could it be the hub bearings going out? i'm trying to think of anything that may make a clicking/ticking sound. i'm surprised it's not the axels...did they even change them? car still under warranty?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 11:57 PM   #3
Hella-Buggin'
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 Porsche 997S

I would check your tires. It sounds like maybe the tread separating.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 12:08 AM   #4
M6NIAC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I would check your tires. It sounds like maybe the tread separating.
That makes a loud/continuous ticking sound? I dont think so....
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 12:12 AM   #5
M6NIAC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg
i know you said this already but ticking or clicking? could it be the hub bearings going out? i'm trying to think of anything that may make a clicking/ticking sound. i'm surprised it's not the axels...did they even change them? car still under warranty?
No.. They said they stripped everything apart looked at the axle and wheel bearing and nothing was wrong with it.. Car is still under warranty but they can't find the problem.. I'm going to make a 100 appointments if I have too
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 01:37 AM   #6
Hella-Buggin'
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 Porsche 997S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arko528 View Post
He said it's when he's making a 90 degree turn so it is possible. The tread can be separating and snapping back when under the load of the turn. I'm assuming it's low speed turn since it's a 90 degree turn.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 09:28 AM   #7
M6NIAC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arko528 View Post
He said it's when he's making a 90 degree turn so it is possible. The tread can be separating and snapping back when under the load of the turn. I'm assuming it's low speed turn since it's a 90 degree turn.
My tire does make this 'sticking to the ground' sound.... But thats all i hear from the tire
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 09:44 AM   #8
mness
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535iM

Does the frequency of the sound change with speed?

Can you post a recording for folks to hear?
2013 535i M-Sport: Carbon Black with Oyster/Black Dakota, SAT, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Multi-Contour Heated Seats, Navigation, H/K stereo. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S non-runflats, M5 grille, Painted reflectors from IND.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 11:58 AM   #9
M6NIAC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mness
Does the frequency of the sound change with speed?

Can you post a recording for folks to hear?
Yes I will try today!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 07:24 PM   #10
BlackWidow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

I'm going to go with wheel/tire issue as well.

I had a loud ticking sound coming from the rear of the car. Dealer tried to diagnose and couldn't find the cause. Turned out to be the TPMS sensor was a little loose and was knocking against the rim on every rotation. But at higher rate of speed the sound would disappear because it would get pinned to the wheel.

Not saying yours is the same issue, but it seems that's the only thing that hasn't been checked. Only other things that can cause ticking from turning is dry/leaking CV boot or bad wheel bearing.

Find out what side is causing the noise, and swap the wheels, if it continues on the other side then you isolated your problem.

Last edited by BlackWidow; 05-29-2016 at 09:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2016, 08:01 PM   #11
M6NIAC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow
I'm going to go with wheel/tire issue as well.

I had a loud ticking sound coming from the rear of the car. Dealer tried to diagnose and couldn't find the cause. Turned out to be the TPMS sensor was a little lose and was knocking against the rim on every rotation. But at higher rate of speed the sound would disappear because it would get pinned to the wheel.

Not saying yours is the same issue, but it seems that's the only thing that hasn't been checked. Only other things that can cause ticking from turning is dry/leaking CV boot or bad wheel bearing.

Find out what side is causing the noise, and swap the wheels, if it continues on the other side then you isolated your problem.
Thank you for the advice!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 09:02 PM   #12
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
I still have my ticking when I turn. There are other threads about this and I don't think anyone has figured it out yet. I brought my in and they said it was the wheel bearings which made sense to me. The dealer replaced them and the sound continued. I've read that it could be the electronic steering rack itself. Mine is out of warranty now so I can't turn it in for that. I've also read that people thought it was the wheel hub and the rim rubbing. I think its the steering rack.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 09:20 PM   #13
M6NIAC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles
I still have my ticking when I turn. There are other threads about this and I don't think anyone has figured it out yet. I brought my in and they said it was the wheel bearings which made sense to me. The dealer replaced them and the sound continued. I've read that it could be the electronic steering rack itself. Mine is out of warranty now so I can't turn it in for that. I've also read that people thought it was the wheel hub and the rim rubbing. I think its the steering rack.
Interesting... Ill look into it as soon as I have time!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 05:58 PM   #14
DAYINAZ
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 540 White

Interesting you should bring this up. I had a 2013 550IX and for the first two years of the lease I had the exact issue. Or it sounds the same. When I would do a hard left or a 3 point turn it would have that same sound which I thought was the right front. So I had it diagnosed in Chicago at a high volume dealer, they replaced the wheel bearings which they had to order from Germany. I was in a loaner 3 series for two weeks. ( Did NOT fox the problem)

As life gets busy I just didn't address it for a while. When I turned a hard left I turned up the music so I didnt have to hear it. Sad for a nearly 70K car.

So I brought it back and said, "you gotta fix this". They replaced the axle. problem solved. I have never hit anything in my 550, never had anyone else drive it but me or with me in the car. So it is a problem with some select cars.

Just traded it in on a 2016. Good deals last model year.......
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 06:27 PM   #15
M6NIAC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYINAZ
Interesting you should bring this up. I had a 2013 550IX and for the first two years of the lease I had the exact issue. Or it sounds the same. When I would do a hard left or a 3 point turn it would have that same sound which I thought was the right front. So I had it diagnosed in Chicago at a high volume dealer, they replaced the wheel bearings which they had to order from Germany. I was in a loaner 3 series for two weeks. ( Did NOT fox the problem)

As life gets busy I just didn't address it for a while. When I turned a hard left I turned up the music so I didnt have to hear it. Sad for a nearly 70K car.

So I brought it back and said, "you gotta fix this". They replaced the axle. problem solved. I have never hit anything in my 550, never had anyone else drive it but me or with me in the car. So it is a problem with some select cars.

Just traded it in on a 2016. Good deals last model year.......
Thank you! I have a list of all the possible solutions that I will be taking to the dealer and hopefully fixing this issue. Thanks for the input?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 09:28 PM   #16
VB5ER
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 2011 535i

Similar to BLKWDOW, had a Tundra with aftermarket Nittos on 22s. When they did the tire swap they broke a piece of the TPMS and when i did low speed turns there was a ticking sound from the driver side front. Toyota looked at everything with the wheel bearings and all that and on the third time in figured out what it was. Was under warranty but they weren't happy about it being the aftermarket tires, no charget so +1 for the customer that round. Tire swap option seems like a good idea to rule out any tire issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 11:04 PM   #17
M6NIAC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB5ER
Similar to BLKWDOW, had a Tundra with aftermarket Nittos on 22s. When they did the tire swap they broke a piece of the TPMS and when i did low speed turns there was a ticking sound from the driver side front. Toyota looked at everything with the wheel bearings and all that and on the third time in figured out what it was. Was under warranty but they weren't happy about it being the aftermarket tires, no charget so +1 for the customer that round. Tire swap option seems like a good idea to rule out any tire issues.
Will be adding that to my list of solutions too thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 07:41 AM   #18
M6NIAC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Since my dealership is such a piece of SH!T i have get another appointment scheduled for next week because they couldn't "duplicate the noise"
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 11:09 AM   #19
DAYINAZ
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 540 White

Just some unsolicited advice. The BMW service departments are littered with entitled wanna be people that think the world owes them a favor because they drive a BMW. So the service people think that about 80 percent of the customers are nuts. Whether true or not, be the other 20 percent that treats them really good when you go in there. Talk to them like you would want to be spoken to, and they may really help you.

Also go for a ride, with the certified technician. I could duplicate the noise every time I turned a 3 point.....

take it for what its worth, but works every time.........good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 01:48 PM   #20
M6NIAC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYINAZ
Just some unsolicited advice. The BMW service departments are littered with entitled wanna be people that think the world owes them a favor because they drive a BMW. So the service people think that about 80 percent of the customers are nuts. Whether true or not, be the other 20 percent that treats them really good when you go in there. Talk to them like you would want to be spoken to, and they may really help you.

Also go for a ride, with the certified technician. I could duplicate the noise every time I turned a 3 point.....

take it for what its worth, but works every time.........good luck.
I get what you're saying, but man I already took the technician on a 20 min drive! I duplicated the problem, they have it written down in their system and everything and now I got to do it again it's like they are playing with me
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 08:26 AM   #21
M6NIAC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0