2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 / F11 5-Series Photos - Video - Media Bad Tint Shop

03-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
yxc145
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Bad Tint Shop

3 days ago, I decided to get my car tinted after seeing the job done on my buddy's cars and the good price I was quoted ($170 for 4 window and rear wind shield). Since I only have one car, I had to wait for it.

Day 1: I took the car there at 4:30. By 7pm, they were only able to finish the wind shield and rear 2 windows). I was told to bring my car back the next day to finish. I didn't feel comfortable paying until they finish the job and do it well. But he wouldn't release the car unless I pay him. They promised that they will do a good job. I trusted them after seeing the job that was done on my buddy's two 550 (he had a lemon and got a new replacement 3 weeks ago). So I paid him full amount with credit card. BAD MISTAKE!!

Day 2: When I was ready to go to the shop, the owner called and asked me to come another day. The technician couldn't make it in. Which is fine.

Day 3: Once again, I took the car there at 4:30. I was in the work area talking to the technician for only a minute. because I wanted to show him the problems with one of the rear window (bubbles and the film did not cover fully, there is a noticeable gap). The owner literally kicked me out of the work area. He said, stop talking to him, let him work. Before I had the chance to say that I only wanted to point out the problems, he immediately said "any problem, you can talk to him after he is done". His attitude totally changed.
6pm: he came out to the waiting area and told me that he was pissed at his employee for quoting me $170. He said "this is a "Special" BMW with "SPECIAL" windows. If he saw the car 1st, he would have quoted me at least $300. Ok, It will be another 45 minutes"
7pm: He came to me all pissed again saying "your front two windows are special windows, I have wasted a whole roll of film and had to turn away a customer because we have spent double the time on your car". That's when I finally told him that my buddy has brought his BMW 3 weeks ago and had the tint done for the same price. He then told me not all BMW are the same. I told him "YES, my buddy has the exact same car/model and you guys actually did the same job twice". He was speechless and walked out of the work area. The techician admitted to me that he doens't know why he has hard time with my car. He had no problem with the 2 cars before.
In the end, the owner told me that they have to special order a kit that cost $120 to just do my car and I have to wait ONE week. I know what he is doing. Trying to make me feel bad and the take the fault off himself. I am leaving the country for a month in 6 days. So the nice employee and technician told me they will try to get the kit and finish the job before I leave. Who knows if they will play dumb after one month and not honor their job.

Total time that will most likely spend: 9 hours. Lesson Learned. Never to pay for a job in full until it's completely and you are completely satisfied.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
luigimaster24
Major
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i & 2021 X6M Comp

Sorry to hear about that incompetent tint shop!!

I would just file a chargeback on with your credit card company and go somewhere else.

Like the old saying says " cheap turns out to be expensive in the end"
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

yep...def. call the credit card company. no reason to let this incompetent person touch your car.
      03-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
yxc145
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigimaster24 View Post
Sorry to hear about that incompetent tint shop!!

I would just file a chargeback on with your credit card company and go somewhere else.

Like the old saying says " cheap turns out to be expensive in the end"
yeah, I have messed up a few times already.
1. hired a cheap body shop to do my side skirts. they look like crap and paint chips. I need to have someone else re-do them now.
2. went to a local muffler shop to do the X pipe with tips. I thought such a simple job, anyone can do. Wrong!! Had to take it to a custom shop. But at least I got a whole new custom system for a sweet price.
Appreciate 0