2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum NBT EVO help?

04-16-2022, 10:50 AM   #1
KillFox91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X35i

Good morning all,

I'm looking to do the NBT EVO retrofit in my 2014 535dxi .

I've looked around for all the info but come up short on some information- I was hoping I could get some experts to chime in.

I want ID6 NBT EVO operation like seen in 2018ish models.

I've seen hardware versions 3.1 , 3.2, and 4.1 on the NBT evo - all 4GB versions? I'm told you want a 4GB version for best operation and smoothness. Is there anything I need to look out for? Is there a specific hardware unit I need to acquire?

I currently have Nav - but I picked up the ATM module to be able to Have connected drive and convert a non nav NBT evo to be operational in nav as well.

I know I need a Emulator/Activator - but there are many options. It seems like this one is the best : from bmw*custom*retrofit*.com car systems.au emulator

https://www.bmw**************.com/bmw-nbt-evo-navi-activator-for-f-series-nbt-navi-activator-gseries-g-series

Is this adequate to control the vin being thrown from the ATM and keep the NBT EVO unit operating correctly? Does the NBT evo unit need to be first coded to the donor ATM vin or does it need to be coded to my vehicle vin?

I'm told I need an ATM harness to run to the quad lock connector and the activator/emulator unit.
This seems to be correct?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-F-SERIE...-127635-2958-0

My I drive controller is just like an NBT evo version - but doesn't look like the g30 version with "com" and "map" it has "tel" and "nav". However I would love to swap to the g30 version as I like the look more. If I were to swap to this I drive controller - would I have to have a specific hardware version on the NBT evo?

Also - would the I drive controller have a vin attached to it I would need to worry about?

I would also like to eventually swap into a g30 or g01 touchscreen controller instead of the in dash screen. I know at this time I would not need the voltage regulator - but is there anything else I would need? I assume a hole would be in the dash behind the screen - would that be visible and if so - is there a bracket for this to be covered with?

Parts I have so far:
4G atm from a 2016 M4 I have the vin also
Quad lock harness extension
Voltage conversion adapter for using my existing screen
BMW WLAN WI-FI antenna

Thank you in advance for your help!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
coasts38.00
      04-16-2022, 01:00 PM   #2
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep
Drives: 24 X3 M40i/14 550i/08 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
First thing first, this was by far my favorite retrofit/mod to my car (well, maybe right after the KW V3s). It's an expensive project, but for something that you use and enjoy everyday, it's well worth it (at least for me).

A couple of things:
  • 4GB RAM - Yes that's very important to avoid constant reboots. Depending on where you source the HU from though, the seller could have modified it to include 4GB of RAM. So, you don't need to worry about the HW version. Mine was 2.3 but came with 4GB RAM. Works flawlessly and never a single issue.
  • ATM - Definitely subjective here, but why go through all of that extra headache to get ConnectedDrive working. What would it serve, especially if you're using CarPlay. The HU I got came modified with a GPS chip and connector - I can use (but never do) the BMW nav with no issue.
  • iDrive Controller - You can use your existing one with no issues. It will work 100% fine. If you want the updated Evo specific controller, you then need to source one from F15/F85. The G30 uses a different bus and will not work at all.

This is where I got mine from - awesome seller. Price was a tad lower when I got mine (assuming chip shortage the issue). They will supply you with the voltage adapter for the display. I ended up starting with my original display then switching over to the touchscreen.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265316622285
2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2022, 01:03 PM   #3
KillFox91
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spielnicht View Post
First thing first, this was by far my favorite retrofit/mod to my car (well, maybe right after the KW V3s). It's an expensive project, but for something that you use and enjoy everyday, it's well worth it (at least for me).

A couple of things:
  • 4GB RAM - Yes that's very important to avoid constant reboots. Depending on where you source the HU from though, the seller could have modified it to include 4GB of RAM. So, you don't need to worry about the HW version. Mine was 2.3 but came with 4GB RAM. Works flawlessly and never a single issue.
  • ATM - Definitely subjective here, but why go through all of that extra headache to get ConnectedDrive working. What would it serve, especially if you're using CarPlay. The HU I got came modified with a GPS chip and connector - I can use (but never do) the BMW nav with no issue.
  • iDrive Controller - You can use your existing one with no issues. It will work 100% fine. If you want the updated Evo specific controller, you then need to source one from F15/F85. The G30 uses a different bus and will not work at all.

This is where I got mine from - awesome seller. Price was a tad lower when I got mine (assuming chip shortage the issue). They will supply you with the voltage adapter for the display. I ended up starting with my original display then switching over to the touchscreen.

Thank you!

The more I read on the ATM swap the more confused I get…

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...320&page=2

Seems to suggest it's as simple as putting in a donor 4G ATM and coding the evo Nbt to the donor atm vin.

I have also read that the car will be sending the vehicle vin to the Nbt evo constantly - so the only way to keep the donor atm vin is with an activator / emulator as I mentioned above.

Which is true?

Also I purchased a donor atm it says ATM-01 4G so I assume it is a 4g unit - but the same thread says an atm-01 unit could be a 3g unit… I was under the impression ATM=4g and TCB=3g ??

Thank you all for your help!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 11:05 PM   #4
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

VIN for ATM and HU must match with the same FSC. If not, it will not work.

You will need Navi Activator.

https://carsystems.com.ua/bmw-produc...i-activator-en

ATM can be 3G or 4G
TCB can be 3G or 4G

Your unit says 4G. There are some older ones that will say 3G
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2022, 11:10 AM   #5
KillFox91
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoa View Post
VIN for ATM and HU must match with the same FSC. If not, it will not work.

You will need Navi Activator.

https://carsystems.com.ua/bmw-produc...i-activator-en

ATM can be 3G or 4G
TCB can be 3G or 4G

Your unit says 4G. There are some older ones that will say 3G
Anyone know how to purchase specifically from this site?

I don't see a spot to add to cart or checkout?

The retrofit site I quoted in my first post sells one that *looks* like the same unit. The forum automatically changes the URL - any idea why that is? bmw*custom*retrofit*.com

Thirdly - any issue putting in a g30 or g01 screen? I would drop the voltage regulator at that point and just plug and play?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 09:19 AM   #6
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

They are affected by the war right now. The one you found is probably a clone of theirs. I've never used it but it probably work just as well.

The screen is bot a direct drop in. You will have to do some modification for it to fit
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2022, 03:28 PM   #7
KillFox91
Second Lieutenant
Rep

From what I gather from the little specific information out there….

If I purchase a g01 screen , and purchase an old f10 6.5" screen bezel trim…

Then I should be able to drop a g01 screen into my f10, remove my voltage regulator, and plug it into my EVO.

With the atm hooked up either by a) purchasing a harness from topdonas1 or b) building it from Ethernet cable and OBAR / KAS connectors - and acquiring a good Navi emulator…

Everything should be dialed in and work like a dream!?

Assuming the evo is coded to the ATM donor vin and has its FSC codes updated.

Sound correct?

I think I'm going to do a write up when I put it all together - as I've spent a ton of time looking for specific information that doesn't seem to be openly available.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 05:07 PM   #8
Blue Angel
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 323i and 2016 535d

Subscribed - great info here!
Appreciate 1
coasts38.00
      08-07-2023, 08:46 AM   #9
shockpoint
Rep
Drives: BMW E82 125i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by spielnicht View Post

A couple of things:

Hey mate! I am interested in what you meant about modifying the HW2.3 to have 4GB - you mean to say some sellers have done an aftermarket modification?
Any resources? I read on cartechnology that it was achieved through BSA soldering an extra two 1GB sticks to the board with some resistors and stuff.
I assume this modification is quite high level to sync the ram clocks as well?
Ive been looking everywhere and any lead would be great!

thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 11:43 PM   #10
shockpoint
Rep
Drives: BMW E82 125i M sport

Read a bit more about DRAM soldering - i suppose the resistor array is to let the headunit know how much ram it is working with so if the sticks are changed they would need a different resistor array

would probably cost less than a HW4.1 in this market but more risk!
Appreciate 0