2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 528i P0171 problem

06-16-2020, 05:33 AM   #1
aeojoin
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 528ix 2012

F10 528i P0171 problem

Hello guys! Nice to meet you! I'm new to the BMW world and evidently, to the BMW forums

Recently (just a couple of days actually), I have acquired a 2012 BMW 528ix N20. Everything was ok when I tested it (i didn't go to the BMW dealer for a full verification - I get it, wrong decision), no problems. I noticed that it has a hose "repaired" like the mechanic was used to tractors and he did the job on the side of the road, but the guy that I brought (a skilled mechanic) said it shouldn't be any imminent problems as the car runs smoothly and it does not have any power problems or weird sounds.

Now... after I left, after about 70km on the highway, the check engine light showed up... no decrease in power, no weird sound, it doesn't struggle at idle but then I noticed also that the fuel consumption is pretty high.

I drove in the city for about 40 minutes, again, no power issues, the car drives smoothly and it pulls with no hesitation. The next day I went straight to a friend that has a OBD2 reader and he told me that I have an error P0171 System too lean (or something like that). I checked the two vacuum hoses on the cover, they seem to be ok.

I have attached some photos of the hose that raises suspicions. Could you please be so kind and tell me what do you think about my problem? Do you think this hose might be the issue or there might be some other problem?

PS. Tomorrow I have scheduled a full verification of the car at a BMW dealer. But until then... I would really like to know your opinion. Thank you in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 07:29 AM   #2
HotSpicyChicken90
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

Let the car idle until warm, then spray this area with carb-cleaner carefully! and see what happens
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 01:02 PM   #3
Bmwahova
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10,Honda accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeojoin View Post
Hello guys! Nice to meet you! I'm new to the BMW world and evidently, to the BMW forums

Recently (just a couple of days actually), I have acquired a 2012 BMW 528ix N20. Everything was ok when I tested it (i didn't go to the BMW dealer for a full verification - I get it, wrong decision), no problems. I noticed that it has a hose "repaired" like the mechanic was used to tractors and he did the job on the side of the road, but the guy that I brought (a skilled mechanic) said it shouldn't be any imminent problems as the car runs smoothly and it does not have any power problems or weird sounds.

Now... after I left, after about 70km on the highway, the check engine light showed up... no decrease in power, no weird sound, it doesn't struggle at idle but then I noticed also that the fuel consumption is pretty high.

I drove in the city for about 40 minutes, again, no power issues, the car drives smoothly and it pulls with no hesitation. The next day I went straight to a friend that has a OBD2 reader and he told me that I have an error P0171 System too lean (or something like that). I checked the two vacuum hoses on the cover, they seem to be ok.

I have attached some photos of the hose that raises suspicions. Could you please be so kind and tell me what do you think about my problem? Do you think this hose might be the issue or there might be some other problem?

PS. Tomorrow I have scheduled a full verification of the car at a BMW dealer. But until then... I would really like to know your opinion. Thank you in advance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeojoin View Post

How much is your full verification?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 03:39 PM   #4
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Sounds like an intake air leak. Unmetered air will cause a lean condition. That hose connection looks VERY janky to me (and is probably the cause of your air leak)!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 06:48 AM   #5
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 & G01

This is the PCV hose that dump the excess pressure from the engine back to the intake. If it leak, might cause lean burnt error as it bypass the MAF sensor. You can get the parts easily and very simple to replace.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 02:56 AM   #6
HotSpicyChicken90
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

and did you figured it out?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 04:05 AM   #7
aeojoin
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 528ix 2012

well, I did replace the hoses, I didn't get the light anymore yet but the fuel consumption still seems abnormally high. I'll go to a professional tester soon enough to find out if I have any other errors
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 12:31 AM   #8
tulsajesusfrk
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW,528i

?

Did you ever figure out what exactly the issue was? Looking as my 528i currently has the same code
Appreciate 0