2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Hi everyone, I'm new to BMW and looking at the 528i.

08-13-2010, 11:57 PM   #23
lindros2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-S

To the final question - as a new BMW owner, you can feel arrogant or pompous driving the car, but I've found that no one really notices the car - even with the extremely bright halo DRL's.

Turn off the DRL corona lights, and you could be driving a 1999 BMW for all people know.

So you might feel like a cock, but no one would care.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 12:27 AM   #24
Raptor04
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

You can answer most of your questions yourself if you go test drive the new F10I just picked up my 528i last week and it's great. I had an M3, but wanted something more relaxed and comfortable to drive. I didn't want anything too sporty, and the 528i is perfect for my needs. I also love the look of this car. Yeah it's not a head turner like my M3 was, but that's not what I was looking for now. Although, I've already received compliments on the lights and paint.

Also, BMW makes most of their profit on options. Unfortunately, options is where you get all the good stuff, but it raises the cost. But hey, BMWs are a lot more expensive in the rest of the world....especially Germany where I just came from. They pay in Euros over there plus 19% tax!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 11:49 AM   #25
ddd269
Private
Chile
Rep
Drives: F10 528iA Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor001 View Post
You can answer most of your questions yourself if you go test drive the new F10I just picked up my 528i last week and it's great. I had an M3, but wanted something more relaxed and comfortable to drive. I didn't want anything too sporty, and the 528i is perfect for my needs. I also love the look of this car. Yeah it's not a head turner like my M3 was, but that's not what I was looking for now. Although, I've already received compliments on the lights and paint.

Also, BMW makes most of their profit on options. Unfortunately, options is where you get all the good stuff, but it raises the cost. But hey, BMWs are a lot more expensive in the rest of the world....especially Germany where I just came from. They pay in Euros over there plus 19% tax!

Yup... You guys in the States are lucky. Cars are cheap, gas and registration even cheaper. I paid US$70,000 ($73,000 now because of dollar fluctuation) for my 528 (no choice in option unless you order from scratch... You get comfort access on the 528 and that's about it). Registration is about US$2300 per year and gas is about $1.30 per liter. Gas isn't too bad compared to other countries but it's a pocket burner, non the less, when I fill the tank.

I feel this "price shock" more than people that live here because I just moved from the States 3 months ago.

Boy, I miss financing or leasing... Having to pay all cash is disconcerting. On the other hand, there is a peace of mind about not having to make payments every month. There are financing options but with some crazy interest rates... 1.9% per month! With a 2 year payment you end up paying for almost half the cost of the car in interest.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 04:25 PM   #26
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

You guys in Chile are lucky.

I paid US$70,000 for a E90 325i with leather seats, auto and a sunroof in Australia. And that was after I got a $4,000 discount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddd269 View Post
Yup... You guys in the States are lucky. Cars are cheap, gas and registration even cheaper. I paid US$70,000 ($73,000 now because of dollar fluctuation) for my 528 (no choice in option unless you order from scratch... You get comfort access on the 528 and that's about it). Registration is about US$2300 per year and gas is about $1.30 per liter. Gas isn't too bad compared to other countries but it's a pocket burner, non the less, when I fill the tank.

I feel this "price shock" more than people that live here because I just moved from the States 3 months ago.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 04:07 PM   #27
Raptor04
Major
Rep

I disagree that you need sport package and dynamic handling package or you will be disappointed with handling. I have a 528i w/out sport or dynamic handling and I couldn't be happier. Now, if you are looking for your F10 to be a sporty GT, than yeah you probably want the sport and dynamic handling. If you live outside of the U.S. or anywhere w/out low speed limits, then yes, you will also need/want the sport and dynamic handling package for the high speeds.

However, in the U.S., where the speeds are pretty low, I wanted something that was a comfortable cruiser. I had a heavily modified E46 M3 for 5 years, and I even got to drive this car in Germany for the past 2 years on the autobahns. I didn't want anything like an M3 in this car. I wanted a nice touring car not made for the track. Even w/out sport package and handling package, the car is still a blast to drive. That's what's great about BMW...any car w/ or w/out any options is still a BMW and a blast to drive. Just depends on what you want out of the car.

And honestly, if you are looking at the 528i for sportiness, your looking at the wrong engine....need to look to the 535i. I don't really consider the 5 series a sporty car no matter which engine or options it has. It's more of a haul ass autobahn cruiser. Just my opinion though. I'm biased as a previous M owner. As they say....nothing compares to an M car once you have every owned own.

Last edited by Raptor04; 08-20-2010 at 04:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 04:39 PM   #28
dpwr
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor001 View Post
I disagree that you need sport package and dynamic handling package or you will be disappointed with handling. I have a 528i w/out sport or dynamic handling and I couldn't be happier. Now, if you are looking for your F10 to be a sporty GT, than yeah you probably want the sport and dynamic handling. If you live outside of the U.S. or anywhere w/out low speed limits, then yes, you will also need/want the sport and dynamic handling package for the high speeds.

However, in the U.S., where the speeds are pretty low, I wanted something that was a comfortable cruiser. I had a heavily modified E46 M3 for 5 years, and I even got to drive this car in Germany for the past 2 years on the autobahns. I didn't want anything like an M3 in this car. I wanted a nice touring car not made for the track. Even w/out sport package and handling package, the car is still a blast to drive. That's what's great about BMW...any car w/ or w/out any options is still a BMW and a blast to drive. Just depends on what you want out of the car.

And honestly, if you are looking at the 528i for sportiness, your looking at the wrong engine....need to look to the 535i. I don't really consider the 5 series a sporty car no matter which engine or options it has. It's more of a haul ass autobahn cruiser. Just my opinion though. I'm biased as a previous M owner. As they say....nothing compares to an M car once you have every owned own.
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #29
Raptor04
Major
Rep

Awful is a pretty harsh word....don't know....I do know my 528i handling is not awful. It's no M3, but def not awful
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 07:58 PM   #30
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabkenBMW View Post
Thank you.
Huh? And you were expecting the F10 to handle like an M3?
Sold E90 335i M Sport Alpine White|Tokyo
Sold E36 328i Jet Black|NYC
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 11:23 PM   #31
tadtaggert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 550i F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabkenBMW View Post
Not, of course. But I was expecting the new 5 Series to handle better than the E-Class.
Then you must be estatic!
Appreciate 0