2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum new front headlight and modules do I need ISTA and esys?

07-17-2023, 01:51 PM   #1
jptkts
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 535i xdrive

new front headlight and modules do I need ISTA and esys?

Hi I scoured forever but can't find a clear answer. My old headlight was shot (water in it) so ordered this from ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/174785568466 it has all the modules etc. My understanding is it will need to be coded to this vehicle with esys. I got the full version from this forum and the FULL psdzdata (like 300 gigs!)... it works fine I got connected. My one big point of confusion though is not sure if I will also need ISTA P or D in addition to esys to initialize it or "teach it"

I'm just trying to get all the software ready to go before I swap it out so we aren't without the car for long... so if ISTA P or D is needed I will attempt to get that though it doesn't seem as straightforward.

Anyone know if just just esys can do it on its own?

I also didn't install any kind of esys launcher (got the version someone sends out on this forum) but it seems to open just fine. I didn't purchase bimmerutilities either as I wasn't sure i'd need it.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 09:42 PM   #2
TuunedF10
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw 535i

I’ve swapped headlights before and the tms module with no issues no coding needing in my experience as long as you stick to pre lci if that’s what you have you should be fine
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 11:20 PM   #3
jptkts
Registered
Rep

Ok thanks. Yea the guy on eBay said you probably can just swap too guess I just like to worry to much. Worth a shot. It’s pre lci, and has the hella lenses and such but the modules / chips didn’t say bmw on em so assume that part is aftermarket. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 09:52 PM   #4
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

New modules will require programming. Used doesn’t require programming. E-SYS will be able to complete the job. It’s a very simple process.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2023, 11:56 PM   #5
jptkts
Registered
Rep

Good news mostly! I finally got around to installing it. It works! (Except adaptive)… Day time lights, high beams, and blinkers all work!!

The only issue is I am still getting the adaptive headlight malfunction warning. The one I ordered was suppose to be compatible with it I thought (posted a link to it above). Any thoughts on what i could do to troubleshoot this?

Edit: I have the full esys setup but nothing else. I could try putting in the original xenon control module instead of the aftermarket one for the hell of it.

By the way for people doing this in future these 2 videos posted a month ago were super helpful:
to install it and this one to remove the bumper

Last edited by jptkts; 08-06-2023 at 12:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 06:33 AM   #6
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Modules are interchangeable left and right. Switch it to the other side and see if the problem follows. Same for the Headlight driver module AHL. Switch one at a time to narrow out the problem. If both are swapped and problem is still there, either the headlight is the issue or you may have electrical issue but I believe it’s the Headlight driver module AHL that may be defective.
Appreciate 0