2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 5 Hour Trip

06-19-2014, 08:53 AM   #1
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

5 Hour Trip

I took a nice little round trip from CT to VA this week for a business meeting... and it was a pleasant trip all-around thanks to this car. I could have easily hopped on a flight from White Plains down to Dulles, but driving down was actually way more comfortable, scenic, and enjoyable - albeit a few hours longer.

Spending 5 hours straight in the car, here are the things that real shined:

- Power: There's a reason for this engine, and it's not just 0 - 60 fun. In combination with the xDrive, it offers loads of grip to put the power down to the road, and I was able (as necessary) to pass effortlessly, take a hairy exit here and there, and just generally feel as though there was never a lack of power or grip to meet the challenge. Surprisingly, it didn't do half-bad on mileage either.

- Seats: The F10 has AMAZING seats. I have the upgraded seats that came with the luxury seating package, and man - wonderful, in a word. VA was in the 90's, and I was in a suit. The ventilation option is KEY to that circumstance to avoid a "sticky" situation. Likewise, these seats were amazingly comfortable for a semi-lengthy journey, especially with all of their many adjustments (and active seat option - which I found wasn't even necessary).

- Active Cruise: Long stretches of I-95? No problem. I employed the use of the ACC many times during the trip down and back up. I've found that if you hop in the middle lane, set it to something reasonable (like 75 in a 65), you can really relax. You may find yourself traveling at only 60mph at times due to slow traffic, but when it clears, back up to 75mph and cruising. It certainly adds an element of relaxation when you want it.

- DHP: Many of you know how I've loved this feature, but a long trip makes it that much more obvious. Where I came across just terrible roads, a flip of the switch to Comfort+, especially when using ACC, just made things that much more enjoyable.

- Navigation: Performed wonderfully. I "sent to car" all of my business and hotel destinations in advance - no need to fumble around with my phone trying to look them up and enter them while in the car. The large display along with HUD directions couldn't make it any easier to find your way.

- Satellite Radio: OK, available on nearly any car in the world these days, but I'll still say how wonderful it is... lots of 80's on 8 and Billy Joel on 4 (yeah, I'm a child of the 80's).

I could go on, but you probably get the idea... this car makes for an amazing ride no matter locally or long-distance. It's nice returning home after a 5 hour drive an not feeling like you just spent 5 hours in a car! How'd they do that?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #2
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Those upgrade seats are amazing on long trips. Out of all the seats I have sat on during my 30 years of during, these seats are by far the best. The Volvo S80 seats are a close second.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 01:29 PM   #3
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Those upgrade seats are amazing on long trips. Out of all the seats I have sat on during my 30 years of during, these seats are by far the best. The Volvo S80 seats are a close second.
Absolutely. I played a bit with the lumbar support, shoulder adjustments, and a few other tweaks to make it "just so" - so nice that there are as many adjustable options.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: last BMW was 2014 535xd

I recently drove from Toronto to Virginia and back, 8 hours each way and I agree that the F10 is a great long distance car. My 535xd has the same seats and I agree, they are the best I've ever experienced. Very comfortable and absolutely no fatigue that I used to feel in my legs in other cars. The nav works very well and when combined with HUD it is really easy to follow. It even asked me at one point if I wanted to take a break and was ready to suggest places to stop for a coffee. I can't imagine using a map anymore. Lastly, being a diesel, lots of torque for cruising and great mileage to boot. 40mpg average according to the car, made the whole trip (one way) without having to fill up. The only downside to my trip was not related to the performance of the car, but my windshield was damaged by debris flying off a truck. FYI... $2,000 for a windshield for an F10 with HUD!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 01:07 PM   #5
nygiants007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

+1 completely agree. Took a roadtrip from CT to FL 2 weeks after my purchase in March and loved it!
2006 e90 325i Jet Black
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 11:59 PM   #6
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

I have to say ... I'm disappointed with the Ventilated seats ... I often use them when dressed in full business attire, and feel they could be a bit stronger ... especially on the MAX setting. I do hear they are linked to the HVAC temp controls ... however I found some interesting coding options for the heated and ventilated seat settings ... so I will be exploring those for optimal comfort
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 04:03 PM   #7
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillpusher84 View Post
I have to say ... I'm disappointed with the Ventilated seats ... I often use them when dressed in full business attire, and feel they could be a bit stronger ... especially on the MAX setting. I do hear they are linked to the HVAC temp controls ... however I found some interesting coding options for the heated and ventilated seat settings ... so I will be exploring those for optimal comfort
I agree. The heated seats are certainly strong enough for my taste, but the ventilation is a bit weak. They seem to get the job done, but I could easily see a situation where they wouldn't be able to overcome the amount of cabin heat built-up on a really hot day (with black leather seats, no less).
Appreciate 0