2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications N63TU Hard Coded Limiter?

04-27-2021, 01:42 PM   #1
1Kurgan1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 02' x5 4.6i | 99' 540i/6

Garage List
N63TU Hard Coded Limiter?

I have a 14' 550i with catless downpipes and BM3 OTS Stage 2. Last night it just so happens another 550i (not a common car in Northern MN) raced me.

They pulled up next to me, matched pace for a split second and then punched it. No horn honks, no chance to take off at the same time. Then I'm not sure if they were busy checking their mirrors or if they were just being a jerk, but they came half way into my lane.

But even with them taking the hit, I pulled past them pretty quickly. They stayed in it, so I figured why not. Ran it north of 170 (they were a good 1/4 mile back from the 70-170 run) and it was pulling real well still, but then I swear I hit a limiter. Covering that much ground I did not let off then try again to check and see if that's what it was. I just called it there since my driveway was coming up (I live on a freeway).

I know some other cars not only have a governor at 155, but they also have a hard corded one in the ECU that has to be bypassed with weird tricks like unplugging the wheel speed sensor.

I was wondering if that was a thing with out cars. Or maybe I have just crazy and did not hit a limiter. I doubt I'll be going that fast any time soon, but just wanted to check and see.
Appreciate 0