2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Big Leak!

02-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
Mixture Rich
Ireland
Rep
Drives: F10 530d SE

Big Leak!

When I opened the back driver side door this morning (to put my coat on the backseat before setting off) I noticed a gush of water falling out from under the door (the amount I guess was about a cup full). I then noticed a small pool of water in the centre of the rubber floor mat. On futher investigation I discovered the entire footwell is completely saturated.

It did rain heavy last night but that shouldn't be a problem.

This is just one of many issues I have had with this car over the past 2 years. I really miss my 2007 E60 - it was streets ahead of this car.

Luckily my warranty is still valid for another month but this car is proving to be a right pain in the ass.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
sanf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535XI

No good. Time to get the f10 m5
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
joey5622
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 535xi

Wow... That's terrible.. What did your dealer/ service tell you?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
Aeroav8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 535i

Time to get an M6, no rear doors to mess with...
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 04:18 AM   #5
Mixture Rich
Ireland
Rep
Drives: F10 530d SE

The dealer said that they will have to do a detailed examination to establish if the fault was caused by something other than faulty design, workmanship or materials. They will need the car for a number of days as detecting leaks can be very difficult.

They also said that the car has to be inspected before the expiry of the warranty otherwise the problem will be mine.

By what I witnessed I'd say it shouldn't be too hard to detect.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA M Sport

Uh... detecting leaks is hard, how about putting a hose above the roof sitting inside and keeping an eye out for drips?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Interesting. Each car is put through a very through leak test in a water chamber before leaving the factory.
Did you have any work done on the car since you got it ?
Any notable damaged door seals ?
      02-17-2012, 07:32 AM   #8
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixture Rich View Post
The dealer said that they will have to do a detailed examination to establish if the fault was caused by something other than faulty design, workmanship or materials. They will need the car for a number of days as detecting leaks can be very difficult.

They also said that the car has to be inspected before the expiry of the warranty otherwise the problem will be mine.

By what I witnessed I'd say it shouldn't be too hard to detect.
This is hard to describe, but I had the very same issue on my E39 that the dealer could not find, but I eventually did. In my case the cause of the leak was the Sunroof. More specifically, what they called the "cassette" which is the casing of the sunroof that holds all the mechanicals and the glass. I found out by trial and error that the casing was in two pieces, a front and a rear, that are supposed to meet each other and make a seal. However the seal was very poor and would allow any water that get into the channels of the casing, to run into the car. After sealing the "seam" between the front and rear section of casing, where they meet on each side of the car...the leak was fixed. I am noit sure if current sunroof's are the same, but i woould suspect they are just to make them easier to install.

Picture it this way. Two "U" shaped plastic assemblies (What you see when you open the sunroof) one faces forward and is located at the rear of the car, the other faces rearward and is located at the front of the car. Where the tips meet and interlock is where my leak was taking place. The corners of the two "U" assemblies are where the drain tubes are located.

Hope this helps and sorry again for the poor explanation.
Appreciate 0