2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs What's your favorite wax for dark color cars?

03-26-2016, 07:58 PM   #45
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcbama85 View Post
Hard to beat P21s for any color car, I've used it on black and silver cars, my two favorites and if I do the appropriate prep before that last step it shines like new money.
And I present the same question to you that presented to everyone in this thread. That is, WHY do you think that wax is what makes paint shine?

Explain to me what makes a wax "specific" for a certain color car. I'm dying to hear this.
      03-26-2016, 08:09 PM   #46
Jcbama85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
And I present the same question to you that presented to everyone in this thread. That is, WHY do you think that wax is what makes paint shine?

Explain to me what makes a wax "specific" for a certain color car. I'm dying to hear this.

ha! I truly don't know, I'm just a simple Alabama Country Boy.

I did give you a shout out on my detailing though, thanks for your help.

So what makes it shine? The polish? ROYGBIV on the light spectrum? Aliens? Global warming?
BimmerTech Amp
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 08:37 PM   #47
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep

Well I'm glad you asked. Take a look at this video. I asked people who watched it to guess what type or brand of wax they tought I used to make the paint shine. Problem was, I didn't use a DROP of wax on that car. Take a look:

Now here's the deal. If you were ever in the military, this is really going to turn the light bulb on for you.

In the Navy, their ships are full of brass that gets dull over time. In order to make the brass shine again, they POLISH the brass. They DON'T wax the brass.

When you polish your boots or shoes in the military, you use POLISH to make them shine. You don't WAX your boots.

When you want glass or jewelry to shine, you POLISH it. You don't wax windows or jewelry.

If you have bare aluminum wheels on your car, you POLISH them to make them shine again. You don't use wax to make aluminum shine.

The act of polishing is what makes EVERYTHING shine. Wax is a PROTECTANT. It protects the shine that you get from polishing. This is 1000% true with paint and paint defects. Polishing is what removes all of the damage in paint. The act of polishing is like a snake shedding its old skin because polishing REMOVES micron layers of whatever it is you are polishing. Once you remove the oxidized or damaged layer of the paint (or clear coat on today's vehicles), you are left with perfect paint as it was when it left the factory. So POLISHING, or the removal of the bad layer is what reveals the shine you are looking for. NOT WAX.

Now there are waxes that contain polish. Problem is, they suck at polishing unless the damage is VERY light and they suck at protecting for long periods of time. Just as you wouldn't want your mechanic doing your open heart surgery, I don't want my wax trying to do something that a polish is an expert at. I explain all this AND how it is done in this thread.

It is that simple. No rocket science, no splitting of atoms, no Sprint math or conspiracy theories. Just the simple process of removing a bad layer to reveal the perfect layer beneath it. I have 10-year old kids who understand this.

03-26-2016, 08:44 PM   #48
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep

Oh, I almost forgot. You can't appreciate how that Camry looks now unless you see what it looked like when it showed up at my garage.