2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Looking To Get Into Bimmers

02-21-2018, 07:54 PM   #1
JGraciano122
Rep
Drives: Looking At E90’s

I Normally Like Japanese Cars Subarus,Hondas,Acuras (Etc.) Anyways I Was Curious To See How Reliable A 528i With Performance Upgrades Such As A Downpipe And Maybe A Little Tune Or Possibly An M3 Completely Don't Know Much About German Cars Again Took A Ride In My Brothers 528xi And Loved It
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 08:49 PM   #2
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGraciano122 View Post
I Normally Like Japanese Cars Subarus,Hondas,Acuras (Etc.) Anyways I Was Curious To See How Reliable A 528i With Performance Upgrades Such As A Downpipe And Maybe A Little Tune Or Possibly An M3 Completely Don't Know Much About German Cars Again Took A Ride In My Brothers 528xi And Loved It
Each company has its characteristics regardless of country of origin, but German cars are a bit more stout and built for us burly people more often than other countries' vehicles. They also benefit more from a knowledgable trained mechanic than perhaps some other more conservatively designed cars (like Toyotas).

I would say that in general, a "German" car would have, more often than not:

- a safer structure
- more durable bodywork
- higher level of innovation (read: risk in engineering)
- proper handling
- great brakes
- capable of autobahn cruising
- excellent seats (usually more firm and better at long distance)
- better interior materials s/a rubber and vinyl (my Enclave started to "fray" too early)
- more likely to use premium grade fuel or diesel
- more original styling (if not a bit conservative)
- superior transmissions (especially heavy duty performance oriented)

Even the most unreliable German cars can at least be fixed, unlike some other cars with unadjustable wheel alignment, poorly designed fuel injection, and dubious electronics over the years from other countries. You still get what you pay for too.

German mechanics have had a higher stature in society than other countries and are often needed to have special skills and knowledge to properly keep up with German cars.

These are generalizations, of course, with many exceptions, but perhaps it is helpful. There are some great new and older cars from Jaguar, Honda, Toyota, Mazda, and others, but not as consistently over the years as from Germany. Technology advances have made all cars somewhat alike in many ways so that even French and Italian cars are worth a look. The German economy is such that it has highly skilled independent craftsmen that are able to support the massive automobile manufacturing with precision and durability (s/a special tooling, metal work). Japan, northern Italy, England, Sweden and others as well as the USA have this but perhaps not as consistently as Germany. South Korea has been a notable actor of late with their own vertical integration, i.e. ownership of iron works etc.

Bimmers tend to be more "cutting edge" in tech and have been leaders in car electronics as well as integrating sportiness into their cars, but things keep changing there and many feel they have lost their edge lately, but I beg to differ.

Going right into modifying a BMW takes a bit of technical knowledge and skill, so using a known shop seems a bit safer than DIY. Good shopping!

PL
Appreciate 4
cdmulders326.50
Ickdeep5718.50
Kyngofpop676.00
      02-21-2018, 09:58 PM   #3
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i m sport

Quote:
If your going to Mod it with coilovers and 20" wheels stay away from, EDC-DHP-Adaptive Drive, those options make it difficult to put coilovers. If your going to Mod it for more power, try to get a 535xi twin power or a 2014 or newer 550xi both with msport package. The 5 series is heavy so get the most powerfull engine you can afford for the most power output for the mods. If your going to add subwoofers, try to find one with the fold down seats to get better bass, the trunk is sealed off pretty good and bass doesnt pass thru very well. Also try to find one with the Top Hifi or Harmon Kardon system (depending on year), the base and mid level audio systems are crap. These cars are expensive and hard to work on if you dont know anything about them, so be warned this wont be cheap or as easy as your current automobiles.
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      02-21-2018, 10:00 PM   #4
JGraciano122
Rep
Drives: Looking At E90’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddylongtooth View Post
Quote:
If your going to Mod it with coilovers and 20" wheels stay away from, EDC-DHP-Adaptive Drive, those options make it difficult to put coilovers. If your going to Mod it for more power, try to get a 535xi twin power or a 2014 or newer 550xi both with msport package. The 5 series is heavy so get the most powerfull engine you can afford for the most power output for the mods. If your going to add subwoofers, try to find one with the fold down seats to get better bass, the trunk is sealed off pretty good and bass doesnt pass thru very well. Also try to find one with the Top Hifi or Harmon Kardon system (depending on year), the base and mid level audio systems are are crap. These cars are expensive and hard to work on if you dont know anything about them, so be warned this wont be cheap or as easy as your current automobiles.
Thank You It's Gonna Be All Performance I Wanna Make This Beamer Pretty Quicl
Appreciate 1
Ickdeep5718.50
      02-22-2018, 12:59 AM   #5
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

One thing I noticed with my 1st BMW was it seems BMW's philosophy is why use a push-pin fastener when a screw will do. IIRC there are something like 15 screws holding the lower front splash shield! My 535i feels much more solid than any American or Japanese car I've owned.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 09:15 AM   #6
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Quote:
Thank You It's Gonna Be All Performance I Wanna Make This Beamer Pretty Quicl
I would recommend getting an 535i or 2014+ 550i. It all depends on your budget.

Also be sure to look into an extended warranty. You might never have to use it in the time you own the car but if something does go wrong, atleast you're covered.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 02:44 PM   #7
snj1013
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Watch out for N20 Timing Chain guide issues. Early versions (2012-2015 IIRC) fail frequently around 100k miles. The result is catastrophic. Ask my co-worker who is looking at pretty much worthless 2012 with 110K miles. Car without problem is worth $14k. Repair is about $14k.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 04:45 PM   #8
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Agree with the responses here. U can only do so much performance wise on the 528. I would look into a 535i or even better yet a 550i
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 06:30 AM   #9
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
One thing I noticed with my 1st BMW was it seems BMW's philosophy is why use a push-pin fastener when a screw will do. IIRC there are something like 15 screws holding the lower front splash shield! My 535i feels much more solid than any American or Japanese car I've owned.
Push pin fasteners are junk, on my dad's MB GL there are lot of these, useless after 5 cycles of install/remove.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 04:17 PM   #10
natbay89
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 528i xDrive

BMW is in a league of its own. There is no comparison. I just purchased a 528i xDrive for commuting purposes. I get 36 mpg and if I put it in sport mode, it will snap your head back pretty impressively. Now if you want pure performance...a M car is the answer, no question.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 04:19 PM   #11
natbay89
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 528i xDrive

I couldn't agree more. The warranties are worth every penny. You probably will not use them but if you do, you will be glad you paid the extra $$$
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 06:22 PM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

BMW are more fun and higher quality than Japanese cars ... That being said expect a big dip in reliability vs what you are used to.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      03-14-2018, 11:07 PM   #13
N52 Moistenor
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i RWD

I'd suggest going for a 535i. the 4 cylinder in the newer 528 is trash after 70k miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 11:42 PM   #14
Kyngofpop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
I would recommend getting an 535i or 2014+ 550i. It all depends on your budget.

Also be sure to look into an extended warranty. You might never have to use it in the time you own the car but if something does go wrong, atleast you're covered.
Judging by his post and like for Japanese cars I can categorically say do NOT purchase a 550i, and with certainty PLEASE purchase an extended warranty. My experience has been less than pleasurable with repairs and maintenance on my 2011 550xi and have encountered several 2018 M550i owners who are ALREADY having issues with the oil consumption issue that dates back ad nauseum.

So yeah, your extended warranty WILL be used...get one. Lower models like the 528 or 535 seem to have less motor issues but all the others things and failures that other 5-series have apply.

Btw if you do your own service, repairs, and maintenance be prepared to learn a whole new way of doing things. I'm a seasoned mechanic and my F10 threw me for a loop in having to learn to work on a car BMW's way, not the way that cars are generally repaired. Its even more difficult because most BMW enthusiasts (that I've seen) take their cars back to the dealers for repair work so there aren't many online tutorials to guide a nOOb on how to repair his awesome "new" car. The repairs are doable, but don't expect much in the way of online support unless you have a dealer reciept and people recommending you which other expensive service center to take it to.

For the record, I LOVE the car and won't get rid of it, just be warned to be prepared to get quite a lesson in learning new ways to do things. The driving dynamics and driving experience come at a price so be prepared for it.

You've been warned...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 11:43 PM   #15
Kyngofpop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
BMW are more fun and higher quality than Japanese cars ... That being said expect a big dip in reliability vs what you are used to.

I hate Japanese cars and find this HILARIOUS
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 12:08 AM   #16
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyngofpop View Post
I guess that depends on how you define quality. Our 535i's are much more solidly built than my daughter's G37. The G37 was actually on my short list until she bought hers; now it's not.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 12:23 AM   #17
Kyngofpop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I guess that depends on how you define quality. Our 535i's are much more solidly built than my daughter's G37. The G37 was actually on my short list until she bought hers; now it's not.
I actually mis-read that and didn't notice when he said to expect a big dip in reliability. That I can agree with. By far Bimmers have the upper hand when it comes to quality...reliability in my experience has been not so much.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 08:02 AM   #18
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

BMW has in the past had a reputation for leaky/blown gaskets and lower quality control and cost than Mercedes (at least in Europe). Mercedes was the more conservative carmaker known for longevity and "over engineering."

Mercedes had to take a hit around 1988 when BMW was making strong strides (the only automaker to make a profit at the time) in NA market share by lowering their quality standards (C-class) in order to compete.

BMW has it's upside: you still get what you pay for, but BMW has more "cutting edge" innovation (iDrive, diesel - both which BMW leads the market with) which causes more risk. There's a reason Toyota's reputation is so solid with reliability - they rarely take engineering "risks" and when they do, they put a lot of money and effort into it (Prius).
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 01:29 PM   #19
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Quote:
I actually mis-read that and didn't notice when he said to expect a big dip in reliability. That I can agree with. By far Bimmers have the upper hand when it comes to quality...reliability in my experience has been not so much.
Im glad its good now

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 2
      03-16-2018, 08:15 AM   #20
jeveryday
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
Each company has its characteristics regardless of country of origin, but German cars are a bit more stout and built for us burly people more often than other countries' vehicles. They also benefit more from a knowledgable trained mechanic than perhaps some other more conservatively designed cars (like Toyotas).

I would say that in general, a "German" car would have, more often than not:

- a safer structure
- more durable bodywork
- higher level of innovation (read: risk in engineering)
- proper handling
- great brakes
- capable of autobahn cruising
- excellent seats (usually more firm and better at long distance)
- better interior materials s/a rubber and vinyl (my Enclave started to "fray" too early)
- more likely to use premium grade fuel or diesel
- more original styling (if not a bit conservative)
- superior transmissions (especially heavy duty performance oriented)

Even the most unreliable German cars can at least be fixed, unlike some other cars with unadjustable wheel alignment, poorly designed fuel injection, and dubious electronics over the years from other countries. You still get what you pay for too.

German mechanics have had a higher stature in society than other countries and are often needed to have special skills and knowledge to properly keep up with German cars.

These are generalizations, of course, with many exceptions, but perhaps it is helpful. There are some great new and older cars from Jaguar, Honda, Toyota, Mazda, and others, but not as consistently over the years as from Germany. Technology advances have made all cars somewhat alike in many ways so that even French and Italian cars are worth a look. The German economy is such that it has highly skilled independent craftsmen that are able to support the massive automobile manufacturing with precision and durability (s/a special tooling, metal work). Japan, northern Italy, England, Sweden and others as well as the USA have this but perhaps not as consistently as Germany. South Korea has been a notable actor of late with their own vertical integration, i.e. ownership of iron works etc.

Bimmers tend to be more "cutting edge" in tech and have been leaders in car electronics as well as integrating sportiness into their cars, but things keep changing there and many feel they have lost their edge lately, but I beg to differ.

Going right into modifying a BMW takes a bit of technical knowledge and skill, so using a known shop seems a bit safer than DIY. Good shopping!

PL
all of what he said

I would also add that modding a BMW is A LOT more expensive than modding a Japanese car, however I have seen my dollar go further in the modification or my BMW than the G35 I had. Im sure a large part is due to the turbos.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 08:39 AM   #21
kaz123123
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 525D M sport

Hi everyone.

Im new to the forum as you can see. i need some advice before i purchase my first F10. Its a 525d m sport 2011. But it doesn't have the flappy paddle's on the steering wheel and the sport, comfort button on the centre console. Nor a reversing camera.

Is this common on these cars? as I have seen this on lots of other 2011 F10's? was this an optional extra at factory? sorry im a newbie and need some guidance.

kind regards Kaz
Appreciate 0