2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum More questions on dynamic driving/handling/whatever

01-03-2013, 12:53 AM   #1
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

More questions on dynamic driving/handling/whatever

I'm loving the 5-er GT, and really have a hankering to buy one for myself. If I did, I'd almost certainly do a special order, to get it just the way I want it--that's how I've bought my 3 other Bimmers so far.

The GT that my local dealer had, and I test drove, did not have any of the dynamic handling/driving/whatever options, and it drove wonderfully, so I'm surprised that it can get much better. But I've searched and read the reviews I've found here on those options, and do understand that you guys are seriously recommending them.

My question, though, comes because the details of these options are somewhat unclear and confusing. Current models allow you to add "Dynamic Damper Control" as a $1,000 stand-alone option, which "adjusts the dampening characteristics to suit the driving conditions and road quality." Then there's a $3,500 "Dynamic Handling Package" that includes the Dynamic Damper Control, and "Adaptive Ride". Some sources also say that this Dynamic Handling Package also includes "Active Roll Stabilization". To complicate things, in at least one place, I've also seen talking of "Dynamic Driving", and another ala carte item available is "Integral Active Steering" for $1,750.

So that's where it gets muddy, and it would help if any light could be shed on any of these features separately, to figure out what's what, and what the value added is. Those that have advocated for these options, are you talking about any one of them in particular? Would you say that the $1,000 DDC option is what's needed, or is it really worth the additional $2,500 to go for the whole package? I don't think I have the means to just add on every option, just because it's offered.

So what does each of those individual systems do by themselves? Are each of them worth it? Do you really need to get ALL of them?

Thanks in advance,
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
bszanto
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 535Xi GT

Hi Wild Blue,

Here's my understanding of the various options:

1. Dynamic Damper Control monitors and automatically adjusts the shock absorbers – see more here: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...trol.html#more

2. Adaptive Drive combines DDC and Variable Damper Control to decrease body roll, more here: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...ive_drive.html

3. Integral Active Steering (http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...ring.html#more) means four-wheel steering, that is, the rear wheels are used for steering and are able to turn up to something like 3 degrees. At low speeds, it reduces the turning circle (= easier steering in the city), while on the highway it increases cornering response. It's a separate option IMHO and is NOT part of DDC or Adaptive Drive.

My GT has Adaptive Drive but not Active Steering. I haven't tried the latter, but don't currently miss it. AD/DDC I probably would miss, and recommend specifying on your options sheet. My 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 01:53 AM   #3
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Much thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 04:35 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I'm running Adaptive Drive in my F11.

That's made up of Variable Damping Control & Dynamic Drive, (Also known as Active Roll Stabilization). Adaptive Drive hardware is therefore VDC + ARS.

If I was in the 5GT with its higher stance, I'd definitely want the ARS part of the technology as, IMO, it is the impressive part of Adaptive Drive. The ability to corner very flat, (even on the comfort setting), virtually decouple the ARBs on the straight to improve single bump ride quality. In sport settings, the whole chassis firms up and gives a superb blend of characteristics.

Not tried IAS, so can't comment on its feel, other than knowing it makes a chassis feel smaller and more agile in the turns.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i GT

It's funny, this topic comes up in all the forums for these types of vehicles. I've seen it on the X3, Q5 and Evoque. I finally "got it" when I came upon a video of a presentation by an engineer on the Evoque who showed the attached graphic.

Here's how I net it out:
1) If the car does not have the MagneRide technology (each MFG has their own name. BMW calls it Adaptive Drive) on all 4 corners, then the car's springs/shocks/stabilizers etc based suspension is tuned at the factory. If there's a sport package/model, it may have a sportier tuning of that stuff.

2) Some cars such as the GT are offered with the MagneRide (Adaptive Drive) technology alone and comes with a preprogrammed performance envelope

3) The DHP (in BMW parlance) package adds Dynamic Damper Control to the Adaptive Drive (it also adds ARS but I understand that is independent) to provide the ability for the driver to configure the MagneRide performance envelop using a couple presets that correspond to the mode switch that also reprograms the steering and tranny. I've found the big confusion is that cars can come with the switch that reprograms steering and tranny but unless the car is built with MagneRide dampers, there's no retuning of the suspension's performance envelope.

The graphic shows a plot of 6 performance characteristics of suspension with one plot being normal suspension and the other MagneRide equipped suspension. The net is that the MagneRide has a broader range of performance. That is, as it samples the driving conditions, it has more range to respond with than a standard suspension. So, when softening a bump, it can be softer or when stiffening a body roll, it can be stiffer. How it actually responds (aka the shape of the plot) is programmed at the factory. When Dynamic Damper Control is added, the actual shape of the plot (performance envelope) is programmed by the position of the user control (Sport+, Sport, Normal, Comfort).

Hope that helps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0