2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions Mods Done....For Now

07-13-2015, 07:02 AM   #1
VB5ER
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 2011 535i

Mods Done....For Now

Shadowline trim was the last piece of the puzzle. Doing the back window with one piece was tough, the trim "curve" is a worthy opponent. Plan on painting roof and mirrors gloss blk next summer. Not as much contrast as blk on white but should look pretty bad a$$. Thank Isturboteg for the bit of advice on application.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-21-2015, 10:44 AM   #2
ase2
Rep
Drives: 535i

Nice. What kind of wheels are those
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 11:34 AM   #3
VB5ER
Second Lieutenant
Rep

VMR 710s 20×9/10 fr/rr gloss anthracite. 255s up front 295s rr.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 06:15 PM   #4
anguyen5
Rep
Drives: F10 528I

Any advice on removing the trim? I cant find a good DIY anywhere
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 12:53 AM   #5
VB5ER
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I've read a few things where people have removed the window trim to paint it or to replace the chrome with factory shadowline trim. I'm pretty sure that the back door trims are connected that 3rd glass window as a unit. Even so I would advise against removing the trim. You can wrap it and get almost perfect results if you take your time or you can take it to a body shop and get it professionally painted.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 04:34 AM   #6
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Hey! It came out pretty damn sweet!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 05:05 AM   #7
VB5ER
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks lsturbo. Took about 45 min. on each piece of trim, a little OCD there, but really happy with the result. Also rewrapped the center console I had to piece together the first go around and wrapped the side mirrors in blk gloss. The mirror caps do just pull off towards the front of the car. Four main clips and lots of "guide clips" around the edges.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 11:21 AM   #8
Bossman535
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpine white

Where did you get the shadow line trim ?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 11:22 AM   #9
Bossman535
Private First Class
Rep

Did you also wrap those two vertical pieces of window trim right above the driver door handle or leave those the factory matte black ?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 12:13 PM   #10
VB5ER
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman535 View Post
Where did you get the shadow line trim ?
Ordered off shadowlinetrim. com
1 roll 30' by 4". Used a yard stick to cut into 2" pieces for the bottom trim pieces and the top front door trims. To make the big curve on the upper back window trim with one piece use a 4" wide piece and start on the forward part of the trim with the top part of the vinyl, by the time you make the curve you will be at the "bottom" of the 4" wide vinyl piece. It gives you more material to make the turn and the curve less severe. Hope that makes sense to you. I was pretty close to the end of the roll by the time that I was finished so you may want to buy two. I didn't do the "pillars" since they were matte already but if you are going gloss I would do those as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 02:56 AM   #11
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Where did u end up getting the carbon caps from? Looks good!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 10-26-2015 at 11:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 03:42 AM   #12
VB5ER
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Looks like we are both working the night shift lsturbo. I pulled the mirror caps and wrapped them in blk gloss. Previous pic might have had a reflection on it. Don't you love the way you really like your car, add some mods, and fall in love all over again with it. Mine looked like a BMW rental car when I bought it and I liked it okay, but now with the interior and exterior changes I can't wait to just drive around in it. I know you can relate cause yours is like "damnnnn" with the new wheels.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 11:55 PM   #13
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB5ER View Post
Looks like we are both working the night shift lsturbo. I pulled the mirror caps and wrapped them in blk gloss. Previous pic might have had a reflection on it. Don't you love the way you really like your car, add some mods, and fall in love all over again with it. Mine looked like a BMW rental car when I bought it and I liked it okay, but now with the interior and exterior changes I can't wait to just drive around in it. I know you can relate cause yours is like "damnnnn" with the new wheels.
i hear ya! it's bad when after you just did something to the car the excitement only last for like a week...than you're like...okay what's NEXT! that's the excuse i give to the bank (wifey) sucks here in the MidWest cause it's that time where that white craps falls all over the ground and my car hibernating until SpringTime!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 03:36 PM   #14
Bossman535
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB5ER
How hard is it to remove the mirror caps ? Any screws ? Looking to wrap mine in carbon fiber vinyl.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 01:43 PM   #15
VB5ER
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
How hard is it to remove the mirror caps ? Any screws ? Looking to wrap mine in carbon fiber vinyl.
No screws, just four main clips. Grab edge of cap and pull hard towards front of car. I used a trim tool to pry up the edges to get a grip. Broke some of the guide clips so be careful. Didn't affect the refit though. A lot of heat stretch, reheat stretch to wrap the contours.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 03:51 PM   #16
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
never thought of this? would be alot cheaper than buying carbon fiber caps? where are you picking up the carbon fiber vinyl from?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 09:38 PM   #17
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg
Quote:
never thought of this? would be alot cheaper than buying carbon fiber caps? where are you picking up the carbon fiber vinyl from?
Yep much cheaper . Most likely from eBay but there's a bunch of different types. 3D Carbon fiber vinyl and 4D.. Not sure which one I'll go with yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 10:18 AM   #18
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No screws, just four main clips. Grab edge of cap and pull hard towards front of car. I used a trim tool to pry up the edges to get a grip. Broke some of the guide clips so be careful. Didn't affect the refit though. A lot of heat stretch, reheat stretch to wrap the contours.
That came out really good as I thought u put aftermarket caps on them lol! So should work with a carbon fiber vinyl than?

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 11-12-2015 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 03:00 PM   #19
VB5ER
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
That came out really good as I thought u put aftermarket caps on them lol! So should world with a carbon fiber vinyl than?
CFV would look great on yours with the other CF accents you have. I used the 3M 1080 in a 2×5 with plenty left over in case I had to rewrap one or both. You definitely need a heat gun to get the contours and edges right. Oh, and lots of patients. It won't look like it at first but all the "wrinkles" will come out even on the edges where it wraps to the inside of the cap.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 03:29 PM   #20
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i GC, X5

Quote:
Ordered off shadowlinetrim. com
1 roll 30' by 4". Used a yard stick to cut into 2" pieces for the bottom trim pieces and the top front door trims. To make the big curve on the upper back window trim with one piece use a 4" wide piece and start on the forward part of the trim with the top part of the vinyl, by the time you make the curve you will be at the "bottom" of the 4" wide vinyl piece. It gives you more material to make the turn and the curve less severe. Hope that makes sense to you. I was pretty close to the end of the roll by the time that I was finished so you may want to buy two. I didn't do the "pillars" since they were matte already but if you are going gloss I would do those as well.
I found a guy that will do the trim for $100. Just wondering if you think I should try it myself or pay to get it done. Besides the 30' x 4' roll, do I need anything else? I'd hate to buy the roll, screw up and end up paying to get it done in the end. Thx.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 04:15 PM   #21
VB5ER
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndinh View Post
I found a guy that will do the trim for $100. Just wondering if you think I should try it myself or pay to get it done. Besides the 30' x 4' roll, do I need anything else? I'd hate to buy the roll, screw up and end up paying to get it done in the end. Thx.
100 bucks seems pretty cheap, I would ask for a reference and check out their finished product or at least talk to a previous customer. I would definitely use the shadowline trim either way. I've used reg vinyl on the mirrors and the shadowline trim has mad stretch without heat. I took 45 to 60 min. on each piece of trim so about 7-8 hours total. Other than directly under the mirror it looks flawless. I'm very OCD about some things so it was better for me to do it myself. I suggest you do the same. It's a lot more rewarding to tell someone you did it yourself and its awesome than to say some guy did it and make excuses why its not exactly right. Either way use the shadowline. I would say get two rolls of the 4×30 ($52) unless you are really confident in your ability, an exacto knife with the break ends to keep a sharp edge, rubbing alcohol to prep trim and a yard stick to straight edge cut the roll into 2" wide strips for the bottom trim pieces. Also time, patients and some good tunes.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 04:18 PM   #22
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndinh View Post
you know i'm the handy guy...from mechanical, electrical to changing a baby's diaper! if you have any experience putting on a sticker with steady hands with the blade and a squeegee save the money and do it yourself! you'll enjoy it more knowing you did it yourself! i gave VB5ER where to buy it from and some pointers and his turned out SWEET!
Appreciate 0