2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions diy: REAR BUMPER REMOVAL

08-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #23
camnhoj
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2012 f10 520d M sport

Garage List
At the risk of being know as a smart ass on the forum from now on !
Im sure mister bmw put metric nuts and bolts on all his f10's
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 11:26 AM   #24
LACSTER
Major General
Rep
Drives: Hybrid

@F30
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 06:59 AM   #25
gas geyser
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw f11

F11 rear bumper removal + oil dip stick?

Hi everyone, new to this sort of thing so be patient with me. Just had detachable tow bar fitted along with dedicated electrics by a great guy who works for an English firm by the name of P F Jones Ltd. I went this way as I couldn't find any info. anywhere on the net. No photo's unfortunately but I will describe as best I can. Undo various screws and plastic rivets to remove mud flaps, remove screw above mudflaps holding top of bumper to body, (near side and off side) remove plastic rivets under rear of bumper, two more screws to go, these attach the bumper to the body and are behind the plastic mouldings next to the rear lights, these appear to be a pretty tight fit and the fitter said to pull up and outwards at the same time aided with a flat plastic tool, once removed you will see the screws on the top of the bumper, once these are out he gently pulled the bumper out sideways from wheel arch to detach from body, (that was a bit arkward), tilted slightly downwards at the wheel arch end and pulled backwards far enough to unplug pdc connectors and then remove from car and store safely. Hope that helps and as ever please be careful if you diy as I can't be responsible for other peoples workmanship. By the way there were no lights removed and all the wiring was carried out at the rear of the vehicle without drilling any holes. Although I couldn't find any info on removing bumper there is stacks of it showing various companies who make the tow bars and the wiring looms. Would I try it myself next time? Maybe, but at less than £550.00 fully fitted, why bother? Oil dip stick-yep-cunningly hidden under engine cover and coloured black to blend in with all that darkness. TTFN.

Last edited by gas geyser; 02-07-2015 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: correcting position of screw
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 03:34 PM   #26
riku2
Rep
Drives: f10

These instructions were really helpful although they don't mention the tabs on the bottom of the bumper on the left and right sides. They need to be released too and then the sides come away easier. If you stick your head under the bumper on each side you'll see them. A plastic prying tool is good for freeing them.

Also when replacing the bumper there are two guides moulded into the bumper on each corner. they go into slots on the corner of the bumper support (still part of the car). Somebody must have taken off the bumper of my used car in the past since one of them was folded completely flat since they didn't engage it and it ended up flattened instead. So when putting the bumper back, pay attention that this slots into place.

Otherwise the instructions were great. I used them to retrofit the smart opener (kick to open the boot) since my 2011 model didn't have it.

Last edited by riku2; 04-05-2015 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 10:12 AM   #27
robbylou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by riku2 View Post
These instructions were really helpful although they don't mention the tabs on the bottom of the bumper on the left and right sides. They need to be released too and then the sides come away easier. If you stick your head under the bumper on each side you'll see them. A plastic prying tool is good for freeing them.

Also when replacing the bumper there are two guides moulded into the bumper on each corner. they go into slots on the corner of the bumper support (still part of the car). Somebody must have taken off the bumper of my used car in the past since one of them was folded completely flat since they didn't engage it and it ended up flattened instead. So when putting the bumper back, pay attention that this slots into place.

Otherwise the instructions were great. I used them to retrofit the smart opener (kick to open the boot) since my 2011 model didn't have it.
Very helpful additions. I would say lining up the tabs with the guides takes the most care and attention in the whole operation. I used a screwdriver to hold the bumper tabs in place while pushing the other 3 tabs into the brackets under the taillights . Otherwise it wants to fold under.

Very easy project with the original instructions and these added details.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 12:17 PM   #28
czarodzi
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535, E90 328x ~both manual

Thumbs up Thanks for the tips!

Great write up! I had the same problem as another poster, the top edge of the bumper cover was too high - right up against the bottom edge of the trunk.
One suggestion is to jack up the rear under the differential - it lets the wheels drop down so it's easier to get at the three screws in each wheel well and it moves the whole car higher so it's easier to work on.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 05:28 PM   #29
ALPWhite
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpine White 535iX MSport

While appreciated, there is no need to go through all the steps in the OP. There are only 4 screws per side and the bumper comes off.. Obviously the diffuser has to be removed as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 12:42 AM   #30
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

just did mine recently and i don't recall doing all those steps. i know removing the rubber gasket around the light area to pull the two plastic pieces off next to the lights where you will see the bolt to remove. 4 bolts by the wheel well area. the 6 plastic fittings that hold the diffuser to the rear bumper and the 3 bolts in front of the diffuser and the last two screws that hold the heat shield to the bumper and that's it. i will say pulling/prioring the side of the bumper off felt like $hit was gonna break lol!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
ALPWhite137.50
      07-04-2021, 09:58 AM   #31
jeroenk
Rep
Drives: BMW F11

Rear bumper removal guide

I found quite a nice guide with all the steps
Attached Images
File Type: pdf F11 Rear Bumper removal (1).pdf (353.2 KB, 120 views)
Appreciate 0