2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion So...you can code your M235i to sound like an M3....

01-19-2015, 07:24 PM   #23
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
The M135i sounding like an F80 would seem to indicate otherwise.
Maybe it's the other way around? Maybe M135i/M235i just play a pre-recorded synthesized sound via the hi-fi speakers, which can be later coded to mimic the s55 engine noise? This does not mean they share the same " active sound" systems.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 07:25 PM   #24
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo
Quote:
The M135i sounding like an F80 would seem to indicate otherwise.
Maybe it's the other way around? The M235i might just play a pre-recorded synthesized sound, which can be made to mimic the s55 engine noises?
If you read the thread, you can code to about 10 different engine sounds.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 07:29 PM   #25
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
lol. what a joke.

i want my car to sound the way my car sounds......the end.

the plot has been lost, apparently. i don't need microphones, active sound, modified sound, or whatever else is needed to infuse enthusiasm into these cars. The cars should be built with enough enthusiasm already!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 07:29 PM   #26
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Exactly! If you can code one, you can code 50. But what I'm saying is, the mere fact that it can be coded on the M235i to mimic the sound of the F80, is not confirmation that the f80 uses the same augmented sound technique. It seems that the coding involves a bunch of pre-recorded audio files. Not sure if I'm explaining my point clear enough.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 07:33 PM   #27
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo
Quote:
Exactly! If you can code one, you can code 50. But what I'm saying is, the mere fact that it can be coded on the M235i to mimic the sound of the F80, is not confirmation that the f80 uses the same augmented sound technique. It seems that the coding involves a bunch of pre-recorded audio files. Not sure if I'm explaining my point clear enough.
I would be willing to lay down $1,000 that the ability to code active sound in the F80 includes the ability to sound like an S63 engine.

You are explaining your point.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 07:42 PM   #28
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
According to this old thread, Bimmerpost had received confirmation from BMW that the Active Sound in the F8X is "a live amplification of the S55 engine's natural sounds. There is no artificially generated sound or pre-recorded track being played."

Same for this article where BMW is quoted saying "Critically, there will also be no artificial sound generation – the electronic noise (which BMW calls Active Sound) will instead simply be a real-time amplification of induction noises actually produced by the engine."

I did not find any source that confirms otherwise

This was the post that I was referring to and is written post production, not pre-production like the ones that you mention.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...76&postcount=1

In this post it says "Speaking of sound, I struggled initially with the idea of having any kind of ‘Active Sound’ in an M car. Through first hand conversation with Albert Biermann, head of BMW M, I confirmed that active sound operates on an algorithm with multiple parameters including: throttle position, engine speed and engine load. From these values, the system calculates synthetic engine sounds to be projected into the cabin to accompany the mechanical soundtrack. Albert said that the intention was to provide greater engine speed feedback to the driver to compensate for the more muffled sound of the turbo engine."
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 09:00 PM   #29
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
According to this old thread, Bimmerpost had received confirmation from BMW that the Active Sound in the F8X is "a live amplification of the S55 engine's natural sounds. There is no artificially generated sound or pre-recorded track being played."

Same for this article where BMW is quoted saying "Critically, there will also be no artificial sound generation – the electronic noise (which BMW calls Active Sound) will instead simply be a real-time amplification of induction noises actually produced by the engine."

I did not find any source that confirms otherwise
To refer to a previous reference, in this post: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=32 I linked to a test/review done by Sam of bimmerpost (which included some q&a that he asked for us of Albert B of ///M)

In the response from Albert to Sam on a question (from me, actually) to clarify the AS (which quote is contained in both of those links in my post) there is essentially the exact quote SakhirM4 has used in this thread.

I don't know if that is necessarily different from the other quotes above but it is where that comment comes from at least.
      01-19-2015, 09:04 PM   #30
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
This was the post that I was referring to and is written post production, not pre-production like the ones that you mention.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...76&postcount=1

In this post it says "Speaking of sound, I struggled initially with the idea of having any kind of ‘Active Sound’ in an M car. Through first hand conversation with Albert Biermann, head of BMW M, I confirmed that active sound operates on an algorithm with multiple parameters including: throttle position, engine speed and engine load. From these values, the system calculates synthetic engine sounds to be projected into the cabin to accompany the mechanical soundtrack. Albert said that the intention was to provide greater engine speed feedback to the driver to compensate for the more muffled sound of the turbo engine."
Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
To refer to a previous reference, in this post: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=32 I linked to a test/review done by Sam of bimmerpost (which included some q&a that he asked for us of Albert B of ///M)

In the response from Albert to Sam on a question (from me, actually) to clarify the AS (which quote is contained in both of those links in my post) there is essentially the exact quote SakhirM4 has used in this thread.

I don't know if that is necessarily different from the other quotes above but it is where that comment comes from at least.
Interesting, conflicting info all from BMW sources

Difficult to get the truth between all that marketing
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 02:16 PM   #31
AreOut
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

some people don't mind silicone tits/lips while some of us like it natural, you can't satisfy everyone
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2015, 05:34 AM   #32
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Sweet! Ringtones for your car! Thanks BMW. I'm totally going to code my E60 to sound like Fall Out Boy.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 08:00 AM   #33
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Or apparently you can code your M3 to sound like a 335. Or an M5 for that matter!

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1080888

Am I the only one who finds this completely depressing? Not only is active sound just a recording, but looks like:

1. Pretty much every BMW must use it?
2. You can make your BMW sound like any other?

Sheesh. This sucks.
You could always, you know, not do it.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 05:26 AM   #34
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

lol, ether way, its nice and synthetic, enjoy, and make sure your urine samples are ready for collection each and every night at 20:00 hours sharp. :P