2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Rotten Dealership experience

01-21-2015, 07:28 PM   #1
Phaeron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Rotten Dealership experience

So I am nearing the end of my lease for my 328i which I have thoroughly enjoyed. Now lately however I had a bit of an issue with my dealerships service department (and I hate their sales department) that has kinda broke the camels back. After the service advisor condescended to me and basically told me not to come in unless I have an appointment (state of Va requires an inspection, and a dealership/repair center cannot refuse you or require an appointment). Now I am not a person that thinks I am entitled to special treatment. The person can be dripping with apathy and I am cool with that. All I require is a "here you go and this is you wait time" and I am fine

However, that was not what happened and it has really soured my view of the brand mainly due to the dealership in question is the only one near me. So this has lead to a debate between me and the wife. She is an Audi girl who has been wanting an SQ5 (she likes fast) and she has been happy with S4 she got in December... Anyway, I have had nothing but bad experiences with my BMW dealership and it is very hard for me to justify spending money with a person or group I dislike. If I go with a BMW I am locked to this dealership unless I move to Fairfax or I move to Williamsburg.

So that is my dilemma.. Lease is up soon, wife wants an SUV (despite having a 4dr sedan), and I want an M235i/228i with comp pack..however we are going to test drive the the S3 with the sport pack or whatever its called because I kinda like the looks of it but.... Yeah..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 08:24 PM   #2
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeron View Post
So I am nearing the end of my lease for my 328i which I have thoroughly enjoyed. Now lately however I had a bit of an issue with my dealerships service department (and I hate their sales department) that has kinda broke the camels back. After the service advisor condescended to me and basically told me not to come in unless I have an appointment (state of Va requires an inspection, and a dealership/repair center cannot refuse you or require an appointment). Now I am not a person that thinks I am entitled to special treatment. The person can be dripping with apathy and I am cool with that. All I require is a "here you go and this is you wait time" and I am fine

However, that was not what happened and it has really soured my view of the brand mainly due to the dealership in question is the only one near me. So this has lead to a debate between me and the wife. She is an Audi girl who has been wanting an SQ5 (she likes fast) and she has been happy with S4 she got in December... Anyway, I have had nothing but bad experiences with my BMW dealership and it is very hard for me to justify spending money with a person or group I dislike. If I go with a BMW I am locked to this dealership unless I move to Fairfax or I move to Williamsburg.

So that is my dilemma.. Lease is up soon, wife wants an SUV (despite having a 4dr sedan), and I want an M235i/228i with comp pack..however we are going to test drive the the S3 with the sport pack or whatever its called because I kinda like the looks of it but.... Yeah..
i drove Audis for the past 10+ years before getting my 135is and now 1M. In those 10 years i used about 8 or 9 Audi dealers across 3 different cities and can safely say that Audi dealers suck too. I don't think this is 'brand specific' in any way----i just think dealership service departments are awful in general.

I would say try another dealer.....the dealer i'm currently using for my car is great...they make an effort. They still need a bit of a push sometimes but overally has been a good experience.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2015, 08:47 PM   #3
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Get whatever you want and find a good independent service shop. Total bird to the dealerships.
      01-22-2015, 06:32 AM   #4
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Get whatever you want and find a good independent service shop. Total bird to the dealerships.
This would be an option only if they buy used.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 08:30 AM   #5
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

My first course after getting crappy service is to talk with the owner. Let them know that your next vehicle will be bought else where for the reasons you note. See what their attitude is all about.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 09:59 AM   #6
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
This would be an option only if they buy used.
Entirely incorrect. If you can afford the car then you can afford the service and maintenance on it. Buy what you want in the bracket of what you can afford to keep running.

If it's a huge recognized warranty item, then obviously a BMW dealer is a good option, BUT, BMWNA should have your back on that. Even then, you don't have to take the car to BMW to have work done. Doesn't matter if it's used or new. Leased, you're on your own. There are a lot of reasons I dislike leasing.
      01-22-2015, 10:46 AM   #7
Revartr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Quote:
Entirely incorrect. If you can afford the car then you can afford the service and maintenance on it. Buy what you want in the bracket of what you can afford to keep running.
Or, OR you could use that 4 year/50k free maintenance plan that you get for free instead of paying for your maintenance! Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 10:58 AM   #8
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeron View Post

Is this West Broad BMW?

Like you said, unless you move you're kinda stuck with that dealership since I don't think there's many other BMW dealerships in the immediate area. If you're looking to buy, I'd ask to speak to a manager to explain to him or her (politely) your displeasure with the overall dealership experience.

Dealerships are really hit or miss. I'm fortunate that my buying and post purchase experience with my dealer has been nothing but excellent. Awesome SA, great service every time I come in, always schedule me for appointments in which I can get a loaner for the day, etc etc.

Plus why would you get an inspection at the dealer? I wouldn't do that since they're usually backlogged when you just bring a car in, just go to any other reputable shop that is licensed to do inspections.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 11:03 AM   #9
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

If it's a huge recognized warranty item, then obviously a BMW dealer is a good option, BUT, BMWNA should have your back on that. Even then, you don't have to take the car to BMW to have work done. Doesn't matter if it's used or new. Leased, you're on your own. There are a lot of reasons I dislike leasing.
You pay for that "free" 4 year maintenance plan, they're baked into the MSRP...so why not use it?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 11:04 AM   #10
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revartr View Post
Or, OR you could use that 4 year/50k free maintenance plan that you get for free instead of paying for your maintenance! Just a thought.
Even if you use the "free" maintenance, it doesn't cover all the work that should be done if you care about the mechanical longevity of your vehicle. Best example: oil change intervals.

This also assumes you trust your service technicians. Now I'm not saying all techs are incompetent, far from it, but speed pays and speed begets mistakes. See below.

Most often I would take my car in for warranty work, and it would come back with parts missing or improperly installed. On a maintenance visit they failed to put the proper amount of oil in. Balancing tires they failed to account for tire position on the wheel.

I've never had any of those issues at my independent shop. Honestly, if I were to buy another BMW I'd probably just give them the business straight up and pay out of pocket just to save myself the headache.

Again big warranty visits like failed turbos, internal engine components, HPFP failures are absolutely worth visiting the dealer and fighting for a warranty covered fix. Though I'd do it politely. All about how much your time and how much your dollar is worth.

Buy what you want.

Last edited by ShocknAwe; 01-22-2015 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 11:10 AM   #11
Revartr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Quote:
Even if you use the "free" maintenance, it doesn't cover all the work that should be done if you care about the mechanical longevity of your vehicle. Best example: oil change intervals.

This also assumes you trust your service technicians. Now I'm not saying all techs are incompetent, far from it, but speed pays and speed begets mistakes. See below.

Most often I would take my car in for warranty work, and it would come back with parts missing or improperly installed. On a maintenance visit they failed to put the proper amount of oil in. Balancing tires they failed to account for tire position on the wheel.

I've never had any of those issues at my independent shop. Honestly, if I were to buy another BMW I'd probably just give them the business straight up and pay out of pocket just to save myself the headache.
I don't know about you, but mine covers everything except for tires and gas. And I don't plan on keeping my car for longer than 5 years or so (and I have the extended maintenance plan). But I see what you're saying. I would understand if your dealership just continuously does shoddy work.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 11:17 AM   #12
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
I don't know about you, but mine covers everything except for tires and gas. And I don't plan on keeping my car for longer than 5 years or so (and I have the extended maintenance plan). But I see what you're saying. I would understand if your dealership just continuously does shoddy work.
Ah, so there's the inherent difference. BMW is basically set up for a quick pump and dump. Keep it running reasonably well long enough and at the lowest dollar total for the owner to trade it back in so they can CPO it and sell it again.

If you don't plan on keeping the car past 5 years or so, maintenance really isn't much of a concern. For the next owner though...

OP: Sorry I missed that you were looking at the S3 in your top post! Totally go check that thing out. Very nice car and a huge step up from your 328.
      01-22-2015, 11:47 AM   #13
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

This also assumes you trust your service technicians. Now I'm not saying all techs are incompetent, far from it, but speed pays and speed begets mistakes.
True, but most of the maintenance is covered. If you want to do the oil changes in shorter intervals (say 7500 vs 10k-12k) do it yourself or pay someone else to.

As for the latter point, that risk is true at ANY shop. At least at a BMW dealer, if a mistake is made it's easier to get it resolved than if an unlicensed private shop screwed up.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 12:57 PM   #14
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

I don't see a lot of people here that keep their cars longer than a few years. Just judging by the signatures. We all love new technology and design and are passionate about the next new thing (in this case typically the next new BMW). I am perfectly fine with leasing especially with these low interest rates. I don't want to worry about having expensive repairs or prepaying for maintenance only to be screwed at trade in anyway.
Sold: 2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue, 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 12:59 PM   #15
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

Btw didn't mean to take this thread off topic. FWIW, I have been servicing all my BMWs at one dealer in North NJ and have had a good experience with the service.
Sold: 2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue, 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 02:13 PM   #16
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
True, but most of the maintenance is covered. If you want to do the oil changes in shorter intervals (say 7500 vs 10k-12k) do it yourself or pay someone else to.

As for the latter point, that risk is true at ANY shop. At least at a BMW dealer, if a mistake is made it's easier to get it resolved than if an unlicensed private shop screwed up.
Suppose I can give you that. There are however plenty of fluids that BMW labels as "lifetime" which really are just... not.

And who ever thought a thread on this site would remain on topic?
      01-22-2015, 10:07 PM   #17
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
You could always get your next BMW at Fairfax and take it there to be serviced. I got my 135i there and take it there for warranty services. Really nice/huge service center. It's worth the drive for me. Also try and find a service advisor that you like and stick with them by scheduling appointments specifically with them.
      01-22-2015, 10:31 PM   #18
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:

So you're saying if I buy a new BMW, I can take this car to any independent shop and have BMW NA honor the repairs under warranty? I highly doubt this is the case and would be the first I've heard of any manufacturer doing this.

If you're saying buy a new car and then ignore one of the major perks of buying new which is a factory warranty to pay out of pocket to have the car fixed for otherwise covered repairs, I think this guidance is financially foolish.

But maybe I'm misreading what you wrote.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 11:31 PM   #19
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Quote:
Agree and we are covered for 5 years warranty. I always pay for my BMW's cash and never lease.

Maybe talk to the owner of your local BMW dealer as he may not be aware what his staff in doing.
      01-22-2015, 11:32 PM   #20
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Quote:
So you're saying if I buy a new BMW, I can take this car to any independent shop and have BMW NA honor the repairs under warranty? I highly doubt this is the case and would be the first I've heard of any manufacturer doing this.

If you're saying buy a new car and then ignore one of the major perks of buying new which is a factory warranty to pay out of pocket to have the car fixed for otherwise covered repairs, I think this guidance is financially foolish.

Agree
      01-23-2015, 07:20 AM   #21
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:

You misread. You also missed a major stipulation in the above comments.
      01-23-2015, 08:10 AM   #22
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeineken View Post
You could always get your next BMW at Fairfax and take it there to be serviced. I got my 135i there and take it there for warranty services. Really nice/huge service center. It's worth the drive for me. Also try and find a service advisor that you like and stick with them by scheduling appointments specifically with them.
From Alexandria to Fairfax is doable, from Richmond to Fairfax however...especially with traffic...

You essentially would have to take a day off work to get your car serviced or dedicate an entire Saturday to it.
Appreciate 0