2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Intermittent burning smell N20

12-09-2021, 08:57 PM   #1
himey
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i XDrive

Intermittent burning smell N20

Hey all, off and on when I am at operating temp and I have the heat on, there are times when I come to a stop and I can sense a burning smell coming from the vents and furthered after opening the hood I can smell it in the engine bay.

My first thought was leaky VCG but from multiple visual inspections but I cannot see any oil. My sense was that something was dripping/leaking and getting onto a hot component and that was coming through the vents.

Today I happened to witness what looks like coolant on my DV and collected at the bottom of the motor. Any ideas?

BM3 Stage 1 93 Octane
VRSF Catless Downpipe
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 03:13 PM   #2
Blue Angel
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 323i and 2016 535d

I've noticed the same thing on my 535d, though very rarely since it doesn't seem to get hot too often when it's cold out. I did not notice the smell at all in the summer with AC use.

I did have a similar odor with my last car, a Chevy Cruze, which are known for small coolant leaks. This smell is very similar and I wouldn't be surprised if it is coolant as you suggest. I've poked around the engine bay a couple of times and have not noticed anything, but a faint whiff of the odor is evident when popping the hood.

It's not enough to worry me right now, but if it gets worse it certainly will.
Appreciate 0