2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum 5-series GT Technology Highlights

09-25-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

5-series GT Technology Highlights

Each new generation and model released by BMW features improved technology from things as basic as the engine and transmission to the aesthetic such as the halo ring technology. Motor Trend has put together some of the technology highlights behind the 5-series GT in the following article. These are technologies we were also surely see in the upcoming F10 5-series.

Under The Hood: The Technology of the 2010 BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo

Deep Diving Inside The Latest Bavarian Segment Bender
September 25, 2009
/ By Angus MacKenzie

Name:  gt1.jpg
Views: 5533
Size:  50.0 KB

BMW's 5 Series Gran Turismo is the second vehicle off the new architecture that underpins the 7 Series and will form the basis for next year's 5 Series sedan and wagon and the next-generation 6 Series. Here are some of the highlight technologies:

3.0-LITER, DIRECT-INJECTION TURBO SIX
The new 5 Series Gran Turismo marks the first application of BMW's new single turbo, direct-injection, 3.0-liter straight six with Valvetronic variable valve timing. The engine has 3.53-inch bore and a 3.31-inch stroke and a 10.2:1 compression ratio. It develops 300 horsepower at 5800 to 6250 rpm, and 300 pound-feet of torque between 1200 and 6000 rpm. The decision to go to a single, twin-scroll turbocharger was driven by the need to meet forthcoming Euro6 and American SULEV emissions while retaining the responsiveness of a twin-turbo setup. The single-turbo layout allows closer placement of the catalytic converter for faster light-off. (The tough new Euro6 test means the catalytic converter has to be hot enough to be scrubbing exhaust emissions just seven seconds after the engine is started; BMW also utilizes a dual-wall exhaust manifold for maximum heat retention.) The twin-scroll layout funnels the exhaust gases from cylinders one through three and four through six to two separate turbines, ensuring an exhaust pulse hits each every 120 degrees of crankshaft rotation, as in a twin turbo setup, minimizing pulse interference and maximizing the energy transfer.

Name:  gt2.jpg
Views: 5048
Size:  62.6 KB

EIGHT-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
First seen on the just launched V-12 powered 760i, BMW claims this new transmission's unique layout provides two additional ratios with no increase in bulk or weight. Four planetary gearsets and five clutch packs are controlled in a way that no more than two of the clutch packs are freewheeling at any given time.

Faster shifts are a further benefit because only one clutch pack is disengaged, and downshifting more than two gears is accomplished as a direct shift. For example, a downshift from eighth to second is made with only one clutch pack disengagement, and therefore occurs without stepping down through the intermediate gears. That means the 5GT can maximize time in eighth gear with the engine turning minimal revs - the 535i GT's 3.0-liter six is turning at just 1600 rpm at 60 mph - but still deliver fast kickdown response.

Name:  gt3.jpg
Views: 5566
Size:  60.8 KB

BRAKE-ENERGY REGENERATION
A car's alternator normally continuously charges the battery. In the Gran Turismo, it charges only when the vehicle is decelerating or braking; otherwise, it freewheels, drawing virtually no power from the engine, helping improve fuel consumption. An electronically controlled clutch, somewhat similar to that used with the air-conditioning compressor, is used to engage and disengage the alternator. The system also requires a special, more powerful battery that can satisfy high electrical demands without access to continuous charging. The battery's internal plates are separated with saturated absorbent glass-boron silicate rather than the usual liquid electrolyte, which reduces the battery's conversion of charging energy to heat.

INTEGRAL ACTIVE STEERING
BMW's Integral Active Steering system, optional on the 5GT, electronically varies the steering ratio on the basis of vehicle speed and other driving conditions, reducing the steering-wheel movements required for parking maneuvers, U-turns, and sharp corners. But the system also steers the rear wheels up to a maximum of three degrees via a servo motor acting on track rods. At low speeds, the rear wheels are countersteered to the fronts, reducing the 5GT's turning circle by more than two feet. At higher speeds, the rear wheels steer in the same direction as the fronts, enhancing stability. BMW claims rear-seat-passenger comfort is improved thanks to reduced lateral forces in highway lane-change conditions.

LED LIGHTING
With the 5GT, BMW's signature corona rings have taken on several functions -- as parking lights, as an identifying element when the headlights are on, and as daytime running lamps -- this last with 100 percent of their lighting power, the other functions with just 10 percent. For the first time, on the Gran Turismo they employ LED technology.

Name:  gt4.jpg
Views: 5338
Size:  38.6 KB

Name:  gt5.jpg
Views: 4685
Size:  44.9 KB
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 12:42 AM   #2
fdsasdasdf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp

'bout time they've used some LEDs in their headlights. Really makes it look better, in my opinion. CFLs just don't give off a powerful enough glow.

Also, the Integral Active Steering is a great idea I know Honda had it first in the Prelude (but scrapped it after that) and Infinti has had it for a while, but I've never really seen any reviews on it. It seems like a great idea and would really improve handling so I can't wait to see some track tests about it.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 07:04 PM   #3
NoZSP
Rep
Drives:

I think a system similar to the real-wheel steering in the Integral Active Steering and the early Honda Prelude was also offered on the BMW 850i around 1990. Can anyone confirm this, and comment on how effective it was?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #4
ChrisFastM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 vert w/ LOTS of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
CFLs just don't give off a powerful enough glow.
CCFL angel eyes are wayyy brighter than LED's.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
yeaJBL
VERSUS
Gabon
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels and engine

although the looks of it right now may not be as pleasing to the eye as you'd like, the 5 series GT has grown onto me and i like it.When my mom was growing up in germany they were embarrased to get in the 2002, but now they would love to have one. just one example but ill embrace bmw's ideas with open arms
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #6
mds82
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFastM3 View Post
CCFL angel eyes are wayyy brighter than LED's.
Oh i sure hope your joking abot that. the intensity of LED's in comparable to looking at the sun. Some new advances in LED's make them almost 2x as efficent as CCFL's too...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 04:10 AM   #7
Estoril Sport
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911.2 S4

Garage List
Does anyone know what fitting the LED's Halos on the F07 / F10 are using? Thinking if bulb unit might be suitable for the E92?
Appreciate 0