2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 535 owner's next car?

09-01-2014, 11:31 AM   #23
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

It really depends on your needs. If your needs haven't changed since you got the 535 (still in the market for a mid-sized luxury sports sedan), I think it'll be hard to find another car that does everything the 5 does "right." You can spend MORE and get less utility and happiness. For instance, the 6GC is nice, and has a more luxurious feel to it, but as someone else said - 4 seats max. If that's important to you, then it's the wrong car.

You should do the smart thing and cross-shop the "usual suspects" (E-class, A6/S6, etc) since I'm sure there's some new stuff to see there since you last bought. But maybe you're also ready for something completely different like an SUV... in which case, there's a whole world of opportunities out there.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 01:59 PM   #24
BavariaExclusive
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Spaceship

Thanks man. I truly agree with what you said and to be honest. The car I have, I love every single thing about it. Looks, Ride, Comfort, Size, Features, Speed, payments is all perfect for me. But the sad truth is that I will have to let this baby go sooner or later. I really would like to try something new out there but it has to be within a BMW's family as I love their 50k maintenance package. It also has to be same thing as I have right now but better as in better looking, better ride, more comfy, and maybe a bit more speed.
Having said all that either an 550i or M5 comes to mind. Otherwise I just go the M4 route which I'm quite not sure about cuz it goes completely against what I'm looking for. I know M4 is nothing close to as comfortable as 5 series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
It really depends on your needs. If your needs haven't changed since you got the 535 (still in the market for a mid-sized luxury sports sedan), I think it'll be hard to find another car that does everything the 5 does "right." You can spend MORE and get less utility and happiness. For instance, the 6GC is nice, and has a more luxurious feel to it, but as someone else said - 4 seats max. If that's important to you, then it's the wrong car.

You should do the smart thing and cross-shop the "usual suspects" (E-class, A6/S6, etc) since I'm sure there's some new stuff to see there since you last bought. But maybe you're also ready for something completely different like an SUV... in which case, there's a whole world of opportunities out there.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 07:08 PM   #25
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

After my 550xi, I am looking at a Tesla whenever they revise it.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 09:25 PM   #26
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

It depends on what you need. After a string of 5's I went with an M3. It is awesome to drive but too small. After the M3 wanting something bigger I loaded up an X5. It was great driving a bank vault but with the M-sport huge wheels it doesn't do well in the snow. After a while, it seemed too heavy and ponderous. So im back waiting for my 535d xi m-sport to make the trip across the pond. drove the Merc. drove the Audi. drove the Porsche. drove the Range Rover Sport. Bought the 535d

I know the car, know the dealer, love the service department, and they lease very well.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 11:28 PM   #27
L2Fly
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13

Had a 535, got a 650 coupe!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 11:29 PM   #28
M4CAB
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavariaExclusive
To 535 owners:
After owning or leasing a 535. What is the next car have you guys looked into?
M4 convertible about to be ordered!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 08:42 AM   #29
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Had a 13 535xi for a year and now i have a 14 550i. Next will be F15 X5 3.5 if the rates are decent.

Those that are contemplating going from a 535 to a 550 i would highly suggest you take the 550 for a extended test drive to be sure. All the shortcomings of the 535 is still there on the 550 except it has a lot more power. If you love the 535 and just crave for more oomph then the 550 is the perfect choice. Otherwise i would say go with something else in the BMW line up.

My growing family requires me to get something big next or else I would be in a F80 M3 next no question!

Alan
      09-04-2014, 08:54 AM   #30
BavariaExclusive
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My next would be M4 or 550i. Unless I just decide to pack up and move to Midtown Manhattan.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 01:38 PM   #31
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

If I HAD to choose a different BMW right now, I think I'd go with a 650GC xDrive.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 02:18 PM   #32
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

I hear this all the time, I "NEED" an SUV because of my family. Not knowing your entire personal life, but do you guys really feel it is necessary to have an SUV for one or two kids? I have two kids and think my F10 is the perfect size. My wife does have a Toyota Venza which offers more space, but we use them interchangeably when going out as a family. Actually we drive the F10 more as I try to keep the mileage on the vehicles as balanced as possible and she puts a lot more miles on the Toyota on her daily commute to work than I do on the BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Had a 13 535xi for a year and now i have a 14 550i. Next will be F15 X5 3.5 if the rates are decent.

Those that are contemplating going from a 535 to a 550 i would highly suggest you take the 550 for a extended test drive to be sure. All the shortcomings of the 535 is still there on the 550 except it has a lot more power. If you love the 535 and just crave for more oomph then the 550 is the perfect choice. Otherwise i would say go with something else in the BMW line up.

My growing family requires me to get something big next or else I would be in a F80 M3 next no question!

Alan
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 02:32 PM   #33
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

^^ How old are your kids? A baby/toddler will require a more stuff when traveling than lets say a 6yo and up. Stroller, diaper bag, being able to change their diaper inside of the car in the middle of winter etc...

Believe me I would much rather be in a M3 next but that wouldn't work for our 1 car family situation at the moment. Sure the F10 works for me since I'm the one driving but I could see the struggles my wife has in the back seat when trying to handle a baby or fussy toddler that doesn't want to be.
      09-04-2014, 03:54 PM   #34
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I get your point, but still not convinced you need an SUV for that. My kids are 7 and 4 now. When I only had one child, I was driving an E46 coupe and my wife an Acura TSX. When we had the second I sold the coupe and got a E46 ZHP Sedan (sidenote I still miss that car). Was never a fan of the E90's so I skipped that generation all together. Now that my kids are bigger I felt the need for a bigger car.

So do you think when your kids are a little bigger, like mine, that you would downsize back to a sedan?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 07:20 PM   #35
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bake View Post
I get your point, but still not convinced you need an SUV for that.
It's his choice and his money. However, I agree with you that SUVs are almost always not needed. The X5 is not really that much more spacious compared to the 5. Most of the extra space is headroom and cargo. Both of which your kids don't use. IMO, it's easier to get kids/babyseats in and out of a sedan than an SUV. Most people I know admits they buy SUVs for safety than anything but they use other excuses to hide that fact. I can't blame them when they have kids. It just seems like it will run over most cars on the road if they were in an accident.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 08:14 PM   #36
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 493263
Quote:
Originally Posted by bake View Post
I get your point, but still not convinced you need an SUV for that.
It's his choice and his money. However, I agree with you that SUVs are almost always not needed. The X5 is not really that much more spacious compared to the 5. Most of the extra space is headroom and cargo. Both of which your kids don't use. IMO, it's easier to get kids/babyseats in and out of a sedan than an SUV. Most people I know admits they buy SUVs for safety than anything but they use other excuses to hide that fact. I can't blame them when they have kids. It just seems like it will run over most cars on the road if they were in an accident.
Totally agree it is his choice and his money. I have met Alan a few times so this not any sort of bashing. I just find a lot of people that feel they need an SUV and I just don't get why. Easier for me to accept that you just want an SUV.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 03:21 AM   #37
BavariaExclusive
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Lets just say for someone who is married with kids. SUV would be more of a practical choice than a F10.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 10:08 AM   #38
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavariaExclusive View Post
Lets just say for someone who is married with kids. SUV would be more of a practical choice than a F10.
The only time an X5 is more practical than a 5 is when you need to stuff a ton of cargo in the back. Otherwise, the only other advantage is when you run someone over.

Yes, I've driven long trips with kids/babies in the back and even went camping. Everything fits in a regular midsize sedan unless you need 3rd row seating. Then you might as well buy a van or a large CUV like the Mazda CX-9 if you have that many kids.

There's no advantage an X5 would have over a 5 in practicality unless you are the type that overpack. Then the problem is not that you need the SUV but change your behavior.

I'm not against SUVs in anyway, I love them and even owned one. But I will be the first to admit that SUVs are not practical until you get off road. But most SUVs are not really designed to go offroad. The high ride height is not practical and even annoying for shorter passengers. It could be dangerous for kids egressing(because kids will sometimes jump out without you).
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 11:04 AM   #39
bkM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 M3 Vert 6MT Carbon/Black

Quote:
^^ How old are your kids? A baby/toddler will require a more stuff when traveling than lets say a 6yo and up. Stroller, diaper bag, being able to change their diaper inside of the car in the middle of winter etc...

Believe me I would much rather be in a M3 next but that wouldn't work for our 1 car family situation at the moment. Sure the F10 works for me since I'm the one driving but I could see the struggles my wife has in the back seat when trying to handle a baby or fussy toddler that doesn't want to be.
same situation as you. 1 car family, wife drives most of the time as i work in the city. dont want an suv but i feel its inevitable.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 11:08 AM   #40
bkM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 M3 Vert 6MT Carbon/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by 493263 View Post
i have a 3 month old and we can barely fit his stroller and diaper bag in the trunk (wife HAD to get a huge fancy stroller). if we plan a trip of any kind or need to do any shopping some cargo has to either go in the front or back seat. i dont see myself managing in the F10 with another kid
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 11:44 AM   #41
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

I know Bake so its not a bashing type discussion

With one kid I would agree that the F10 is more than adequate in terms of interior and trunk space. I know people who get by in a small civic with one kid. Is it ideal? that depends. For my family we do a lot of shopping during the weekends so we are all in the car. When my daughter was younger (just turned 2 today) we had a big Uppababy Vista stroller for her. That thing took up more than half my trunk space. Getting that thing in and out of the trunk was fine when it was empty but if there are shopping bags in there, groceries, diaper bag etc... it was like playing tetris every time i had to load and unload the F10. I was the one that convinced the wife that the F10 was big enough but lets just say after a year of constant messing around in the back of the car trying to take the stroller out without taking out all of my stuff and back in was getting old real fast.

Another reason for the X5 is interior space. The X5 is probably only marginally wider than the F10 but its the way the seats are position that impacts the useable space inside. The F10 seats are more curved in a way where its more like a bucket where as most SUV's are more flat/bench like. Headroom is where the biggest impact is inside. You don't have that sloping roof line in the X5. Trying to change a baby's diaper in the middle of winter inside the back seat of the F10 with a car seat in place is NOT fun. Granted my wife deals with that 90% of the time it is still not ideal. Its just easier in the X5 to do all this stuff with room to spare especially since my wife is talking about having another child soon.

This past weekend is another perfect example. We took a 7 hour drive down to Virginia Beach with 3 adults and 1 toddler in my car. My trunk had a stroller, luggage for everyone plus a small cooler. It was packed to the rim and we packed light. I couldn't get anything out of the luggage unless i took everything else out of the car. I would have liked to have brought my daughters tricycle with me but I simply didn't have the room. Theres also a wagon i wanted to pull her in while down at the beach but that also doesn't fit inside of my trunk. I feel as kids grow up they need different "gadgets" that they want to take with them. First its the big stroller but later on its the bikes and whatever. I don't want to limit my experiences with them simply because I can't take stuff in my car.

Alan

Last edited by Alan l.; 09-05-2014 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 01:36 PM   #42
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkM3 View Post
i have a 3 month old and we can barely fit his stroller and diaper bag in the trunk (wife HAD to get a huge fancy stroller). if we plan a trip of any kind or need to do any shopping some cargo has to either go in the front or back seat. i dont see myself managing in the F10 with another kid
So the problem is not the car but your wife overpacking and buying things she didn't need. One of my friend has twins and they manage just fine with a Honda CRZ and a Dodge Charger.

You only need a small bag for your kid's supplies. I don't understand why people carry around so much stuff when you're only leaving the house for a couple hours. Most of the places you're going to does not require a large stroller. At 3 months old, you shouldn't be taking the baby to so many places anyways. There's also body harnesses and straps to use instead of strollers when it is appropriate to do so. Even on road trips, you only need 1 bag and MAYBE 1 small stroller for each kid.

When you buy an SUV to solve the problem of overpacking and too many unnecessary products, you're just creating more problems for yourself. Not only that, you're wasting more money. Marketing has most of us believing that buying more products will make us more practical. That's the opposite of what practical means. That's also the problem with people that has money. They think money will solve their problems so they keep buying more.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 02:01 PM   #43
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
When my daughter was younger (just turned 2 today) we had a big Uppababy Vista stroller for her. That thing took up more than half my trunk space.

Another reason for the X5 is interior space. The X5 is probably only marginally wider than the F10 but its the way the seats are position that impacts the useable space inside. The F10 seats are more curved in a way where its more like a bucket where as most SUV's are more flat/bench like. Headroom is where the biggest impact is inside. You don't have that sloping roof line in the X5. Trying to change a baby's diaper in the middle of winter inside the back seat of the F10 with a car seat in place is NOT fun. Granted my wife deals with that 90% of the time it is still not ideal. Its just easier in the X5 to do all this stuff with room to spare especially since my wife is talking about having another child soon.

This past weekend is another perfect example. We took a 7 hour drive down to Virginia Beach with 3 adults and 1 toddler in my car. My trunk had a stroller, luggage for everyone plus a small cooler. It was packed to the rim and we packed light. I couldn't get anything out of the luggage unless i took everything else out of the car. I would have liked to have brought my daughters tricycle with me but I simply didn't have the room. Theres also a wagon i wanted to pull her in while down at the beach but that also doesn't fit inside of my trunk. I feel as kids grow up they need different "gadgets" that they want to take with them. First its the big stroller but later on its the bikes and whatever. I don't want to limit my experiences with them simply because I can't take stuff in my car.

Alan
Alan,

You bought a stroller too large for your needs. I'll bet the specs list and features list looked good on the box(they got me with it too) but your kids will not realize any difference to a smaller portable stroller. The body baby harness is a much better carrier than a stroller. It also keeps the kid happier too with more interaction.

Your kids are not tall so the headroom only affects you and you are not in the backseat. Changing diapers in an X5 or a 5 is both difficult. But that doesn't happen quite often to warrant the thousands of dollars difference. Unless you are on the interstate, there's plenty of places you can stop to change diapers. You would have to stop the vehicle to change diapers anyways since doing it while moving is dangerous.

I also understand people love to bring all their kids' toys with them but I can promise you that's not a good idea. You went on vacation to experience a different place and a different lifestyle. What's the point of bringing all that extra stuff when they can have it at home? they spend 95% of their time there anyways. I think most parents think giving kids more toys, gadgets, and digital content will make them happy but it doesn't. Just about every study out there shows the opposite. People seems to be happier with less thing and more interactions. Instead of your daughter riding her bike or pulling around a wagon, there's a ton of other things she could do at VA beach. You went to a different place, experience something different. Giving your kids gadgets to distract them will only yield psychological and behavioral problems in the future. I was a teacher for a bit, I know this.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 02:03 PM   #44
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

In response to your post to bKM3...

Can't jump to conclusions so quickly when you don't know the full situation. You packing light could be what others call not being prepared or vice versa. Every family/kid is different. My kid for example pukes if the wind blows on her the wrong way (so it seems) so in my situation I need to always carry extra clothes and stuff to clean up a mess if it happens. Also some people are more into doing outdoor stuff than others that will inevitably require you to bring more gear with you. I was fully on your side when I got my F10 a month before my daughter was born. Now two years later I know my situation would be much easier with something bigger. Just a friendly counterpoint from someone living through it at the moment lol