2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications F10 550 clutch swap on the MT6 F10 535 and the UUC SSK to boot

05-27-2017, 12:55 PM   #1
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
After a long awaited mod I finally took the step and executed an install that was very much in order. With 575 ft lbs of tq spinning a stock clutch around I could feel the clutch not gripping at certain ranges in the rpm and on the dyno you could see I was throwing horse power out the window. This was discouraging, but expected testing the stock transmission and clutch limitations.

Discoveries over the past 1.5 years for the stock clutch was anything over 430wtq and you'll start slipping. However the transmission is able to take 500wtq with no complaints. I ran 500wtq for year. As of a few months ago MissionPerformance brought it back down to 400wtq until the upgrade was performed to preserve the clutch.

Did all the research that was available for our cars and everything that came up on this topic was the N55 335 swap with 335is clutch. Those posts included mentions of the 550/335is swap on their configurations. There didn't seem to be a price difference, but I went ahead an purchased the one for the 550 for the cost of 360 dollars. Good thing too, I'll explain why you shouldn't get the 335is clutch in your 535 later.

I wanted to have someone with a ton of experience who has modded nothing but BMW hardware to perform this operation in such uncharted territory, especially on the F10 N55's. so I contacted a long time trusted BMW mechanic in our community from Speed Logic Automotive, Rob.

He's been very aware of my journey of experimental flashing and knows that MP is the only ones that got flash tuning right for my car. I say this because Rob is a man of integrity and would not perform a mod of this type unless the car was healthy. If the tune stumbled, misfired or underperformed he would deny me the swap. Thats how much he cares about his work and ethics. So I'm excited I got approved!

Rob suggested that while the transmission was down that we install a UUC SSK. I had talked to him about this before, but the cost, fabrication and modification labor time didn't make sense. It only makes sense cost-wise if the clutch is being replaced and the trans is out already. So I opted in on that mod. I turned in my car and he dropped the trans on night 1. Night 2 he informs that UUC isn't a perfect fit, as expected fabrication is required, also a known and anticipated modification. The issue is that the metal washers that go to between connecting rod and the UUC shifter are too thick and require being grounded down. He did that with precision and a few hours later perfect fit!

During this point the the flywheel and pressure plate were exposed and to our surprise a very reusable flywheel. MP and Rob were both expecting a destroyed DMFW after running 500wtq for so long. We only discovered minimal surface wear and very very small hot spots. This is also due to me knowing what a slipping clutch feels like and knowing when to let off in those times instead of mashing the pedal through it. This is also a testament to how well BMW OEM hardware is designed and engineered and why the premium to own one is worth it. Later the clutch itself came out and again to our surprise a lot of material left with minimal wear. I would venture to say the clutch probably would've went another 30k miles with the same driving behaviors(occasionally aggressive) with 30k already put on it. Mad respect for BMW engineering at this point.

Rob began the installation at his new location, but his lifts haven't been installed yet so challenges of mechanical labor on a trans is a 10 out of 10. The kit I purchased didn't come with an alignment tool and locating one for the N55 is next to impossible. There is one supplied by clutch masters, but that doesn't work on OEM hardware and the N54 alignment tool will not work either. So be very aware of this before your balls-deep in a stock clutch replacement or 550 swap. Rob was able to get the clutch aligned and installed along with the short shifter and now I'm at the first phase of break-in. Even with grandma style driving for break-in I can already tell the clutch engagement is much more grabby if you will. I will have to report back on this full experience once the process is complete and back up to 500wtq! Though I've read 335 owners have done this swap with 550wtq and no long term problems. Alex, also an ethical tuner, is not granting me that and will only do 500wtq on my setup for now.

The SSK throw, oh my god the throw! UUC claims a 30% reduction in throw. I think it's inverted, I feel it's 70% reduction. The shifter stays closer to the top of its starting point and its notch feel is a bit more than stock, but not by much. I will also create a video demonstrating the change.

All said and done the final cost was 1560.00 for 550 clutch, rear main seal, new bolts,UUC SSK and labor. Pretty good considering a dealer would probably be 3-4K and not even touch the swap option or SSK mod.

More updates to come after a 500 mile city driving break in and reflash of 500wtq...

https://yelp.to/qTKq/X97V6wsMuD
Attached Images

535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 2
      05-28-2017, 04:11 PM   #2
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

awesome, Good writeup very inspiring for other members thinking about doing this but not sure if possible.
any dyno videos?
      05-28-2017, 05:18 PM   #3
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
awesome, Good writeup very inspiring for other members thinking about doing this but not sure if possible.
any dyno videos?
Anything is possible Jeffe. You have the 535 or 550? Have to break in the clutch, then reflash, dyno and new 0-60. Couple more weeks.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

Appreciate 1
      03-16-2019, 06:48 PM   #4
HolyGhost
No Lift
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i 6MT

did you ever do the clutch delay valve replacement? I just did mine today. makes a big difference in clutch grab between shifts. good write up! considering going this route after PS2.

6MT, ER Catless DP, BMS intake, VSRP FMIC, muffler delete, clutch valve delete, MHD, custom tune by Bradley
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 06:25 AM   #5
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyGhost View Post
did you ever do the clutch delay valve replacement? I just did mine today. makes a big difference in clutch grab between shifts. good write up! considering going this route after PS2.
I've had a modded CDV for a bit which is the equivalent of a delete. The valve is significantly bored out. I would do it before a PS2 or tune. It's designed to slip on purpose in stock form! Gives non manual drivers the feel that they're doing it right.

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 11:21 PM   #6
windowmaker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
I've had a modded CDV for a bit which is the equivalent of a delete. The valve is significantly bored out. I would do it before a PS2 or tune. It's designed to slip on purpose in stock form! Gives non manual drivers the feel that they're doing it right.
Hey how is the Spec 3 clutch? I recently got a Spec 2+ for my 550i and am going to be putting it in in about a month. Any recommendations or wisdom to share?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 11:38 PM   #7
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowmaker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
Hey how is the Spec 3 clutch? I recently got a Spec 2+ for my 550i and am going to be putting it in in about a month. Any recommendations or wisdom to share?
Car is out of service right now. Should be back by next week. Only thing I can say is replace the DMFW with a single. When I get it back I'll see about raising the idle.

Also make sure to unplug the battery and don't hit the alternator when dropping the trans.

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 09:27 PM   #8
FrekkenBok
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i manual

Confirming from my side as well - clutch kit for F10 550 is working for F10 535i.
My car is 2012 535i RWD with sport package.
Just some torque oriented chip tuning (aFe SCORCHER) - did not test but supposedly should give +40HP and +80lbs ft of torque.
Clutch failed at 60k miles.
Appreciate 0