2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 / F11 5-Series Photos - Video - Media BMW F10 M535d Gran Sedan [Blog & Project Development]
View Poll Results: Do you like this project
Yes 7 63.64%
No 2 18.18%
Maybe 2 18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

07-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
Oneminde
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW

BMW F10 M535d Gran Sedan [Blog & Project Development]

This is the official BMW F10 M535d Gran Sedan [pre LCI] Blog & Project page by Oneminde.

Name:  BMW F10 GRAN SEDAN.jpg
Views: 14392
Size:  416.3 KB

My pants are not on fire and you are not reading the title wrong, it says M535d Gran Sedan and everything is in order. So lets start with the obvious.

What is the M535d Gran sedan and why have you not heard about it before? The BMW F10 M535d Gran Sedan is first of all a non existing car, secondly it will never be officially produced and thirdly it is a one of edition, there will only be made one and that's it. The 5 series gran sedan is a private project and is a treat to myself. Fir this to make sense, I want to tell the story of the 5 series gran sedan to cover the aspects of the why and what parts of this project, but before you go on reading. The picture in the beginning of this article is a photoshoped version of how the car will look, I guess we know by now if you like it or not. If you like it, then I would like to welcome you to this project tread and if you do not like it, thank's for stopping by

A bit of history of the 5 series gran sedan.

I HATE the Bangles design, it absolutely "killed" my interest for new BMW's, I was even ready to leave the brand (as a customer). It was and is the worst period of BMW history. The E60 with exception of the V10 engine is probably one of the ugliest BMW's ever made. Then the E90 series came a along and things changed a bit, they softened the sharp edges and things got a bit better. Then in 2007 they revealed the CS concept and redeemed themselves and I knew they would make it back to proper design. Some time passes and they show the Gran Coupe as a concept and it was debated that this was an exclusive China market car, I was sad and glad at the same time for this was the new [production ready] design compared to the CS Concept. I was ready to consider importing a GC if it was only released in China, that is how much I want it.

2010 and BMW releases the F10 and the GC shape and form was (mildly) adopted on a mid level car and yes, that is the car I will own one day. The thing is, a 6 series is an expensive car when you have a normal income and do not want to find yourself in deep shit over the financial situation, so compromises must be done and the F10 is such a compromise. But wait, there is something very important here and that is the overall reason why one would chose the 6 over a 5 series.

The F13/F06 6 series is more or less a more exclusive 5 series. It exist between the 5 and 7 series and the 7 series is a larger climb from a 5 series, so more or less, what you pay for is design. Let's use the 550i as an example - same engine as the 650, in fact the same drivetrain. So the real question is are you ready to pay 2x 550 (roughly) for some design attributes (?) - well, I am not. But there is still something that I am not satisfied with regarding the F10 and that is the rear of the car. When BMW introduced the F10 in 2010, months before this, they showed the production ready Gran Coupe and two things stood out [for me]. That was the rear design and the new halo design for the headlamps. The rest is very similar between the 5 and 6 and leaving out that GC rear on the 5'er is a disappointment, so I was battling - should I save up for a 6 or 5... well, another solution is available and it is that what I call the BMW 5 SERIES GRAN SEDAN.

The 6 series is in fact less of an obvious choice than the 5 series for me now a days. I was really in to the entire 6 series design when it came out, but the 5 series is and has grown on me more, I can't really say why that is, I just know it is, and the F10 design is a classic BMW design [don't worry, it will be, that is why I say classic] and I guess some of the reasons why I like the F10 more than the F06/F13 is the front design, it is not as catchy as the F10 front. You might say I am torn between the cars [even the 3 series to some degrees] and that is what makes BMW such a great brand. They know how to design a car and they also know how to make you want it and the things that is only available on other BMW models - Well done BMW and congratulation for fucking up my mind

The F10 LCI really did it for me. The halo rings that I fell in love with will now be available and most of the cars aesthetic appearance is now complete, complete in the sense that I can get parts, so not in the sense that it is done, complete and perfect, no, not by a long shoot. But this is not unusual when it comes to me. "I like it but I need to change this and that", then I will be happy about the results.

So there you go, I really love BMW most of the time, but they can also bugger the shit out of me for not understanding what their cars need.. lol.

What will happen next and what is the timeline for the project ?

The next part of this blog is that it will enter into its theoretical and aesthetic appearance timeline, meaning I will list parts and changes that I strongly consider to be part of the end result. If you decide to follow the tread you will obviously know what happens so I will not make a list of what changes or not, what I stick with will be available on the car in the end.
The timeline for this project and hold on, is in fact several years and the next 5 series will be released before I get the opportunity to own the project car. The reason for is that I am a student and cannot afford a car and besides I need to save money for the car and the parts that will go into the realization of this project, so its not going to happen any time soon. So why do a tread about it so early ?

Well, I like to keep a journal on my ideas and also keep track of what I change or add, so I came up with the idea of creating a "blog" here at bimmerpost.com and at the same time allow others who might find this project interesting to be updated on what happens and finally keeping all of the data available no matter where I am as the last entry for this first post:

You can rant, swear and complain as much as you like, but this will happen. I only wish I could do it sooner, but my current situation does not allow for it.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
Andrey
Average Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i, Gone 2011 BMW 550i,

very interesting!!!
I'm subscribed!!
Please post alot of pictures!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
Oneminde
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep

Here is my front bumper edition for the 5 series Gran sedan.

Name:  2014 BMW F10 M5 with M4 F82 concept front bumper.jpg
Views: 29209
Size:  607.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
Oneminde
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey View Post
very interesting!!!
I'm subscribed!!
Please post alot of pictures!!!
That is the plan yes as long as what I want is available or can be photoshoped, then it will end up in this tread.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
Andrey
Average Guy
United_States
Rep

May I ask why do you start with 535d? why not get 550i and go from there? Is 550i really that much more expensive? Is it going to be your everyday car? trying to save $$ on gas or deisel??
Here in USA you can get donor 550i under $40,000
Oh and one more thing hopefully those new m5 sport wheels don't make it to your car!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
Oneminde
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
May I ask why do you start with 535d? why not get 550i and go from there? Is 550i really that much more expensive? Is it going to be your everyday car? trying to save $$ on gas or deisel??
Here in USA you can get donor 550i under $40,000
Oh and one more thing hopefully those new m5 sport wheels don't make it to your car!
Good questions, so allow for a thorough answer:

1. Regarding choice of engine, I will definitely go for diesel as the fuel. One is that we get a better fuel economy and range plus the advancement in diesel engine technology is far greater than for the counterpart gasoline engine. [Data on this is available on BMW's homepage]. The engine do not rev as much as with a gasoline engine, but BMW's diesel engine's rev well up to the 5000 RPM region and in most cases, this is more than enough. The advantage for the diesel is the torque and strength.

Let's compare the 535 & 535d. The 535 have; 306 HP and 400 Nm while the 535d have; 313 HP and wopping 650 Nm - that is a huge difference. [By the way, BMW will offer the 535d engine on its LCI for the US market] So looking at the power regime, the diesel engine will give you more. The M550d will give you 381 HP and 740 Nm in torque and ofc that is noticeable and the difference is mostly due to the 3'rd turbo they added to this engine. Only looking at the power difference and price, well, that is a different story. Do I consider it worthy, well, no, not if one look at a third option which is the engine tuning available via Hartge.

Hartge have a mapping unit called 11 35 0313 J will give you:

for 535d and 535d xDrive (based on 230 kW / 313 hp) 266 kW (362 hp) / 4400 rpm 730 Nm (lb-ft 538) / 1800 rpm at the cost of 2.555,- euro

Sure, its not the exact same numbers and the engine is tuned, but Hartge is serious about their work, so I trust them. You can read more about this unit here: http://www.hartge.de/UploadPDF/F10%2...2011350313.pdf
And here is a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=7xsvi9T2edk

So while the M550d will give you more power than the 535d, the difference is not that great if we do not look at the added M package. Also, there are other parts that are standard for both, so in other aspects, they are quite alike and to top it off, since I will use some LCI parts, the original M package found in the M550d will not be used anyway, and as a "final" argument. The M550d is by far more valuable as an original car than the 535d is, the later one is by far more available than the M550d and hence, the price will directly reflect this.

You might not agree on my arguments, but they are non the less arguments for and against a M550d. I like the car, sure I do and would not mind having one, but I keep getting back to the point that some models should be original and not tempered with, like the E46 M3 CSL.

2. Yes it will be my everyday car and in that regard, the power available with the Hartge upgrade is more than enough. It will not be used on the track nor street racing, but will have enough to play with if and when I feel for that

3. No, I will not use the M5 rims, I will probably end up using VOSSEN Wheels as my choice and right now, the VOSSEN Precision series wheels [specific wheel] seam to be very interesting. I do not yet know the name of the model they used in the pictures bellow.

Name:  8380341435_93b8e85e87_b.jpg
Views: 15499
Size:  335.7 KB

Name:  epcp-1304-28-o+2012-SEMA-show+vossen-precision-series-wheels.jpg
Views: 10109
Size:  524.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
Oneminde
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep

Colour, colour and colour, its all about the colour - part 1.

Picking out the colour of the car tells allot about you, and for a long time, black was the obvious choice. Perhaps it reflected who I was on the inside, or not, but it was the obvious choice for a long time. Some time have passed and I am older now, I do not feel old, but I am older and I choose differently. SO I have been looking at white as the exterior colour as of lately and I am actually a bit surprised about that, and come to think about it, white isn't as bad as I felt it was, it can actually be rather nice and since the 5 series gran sedan is not going to be a pure performance car but more towards luxury and pleasure, white might be a good choice.

Going for a dark theme as I did in the past, well, hmm... am I tired of that, that is the question. I certainly feel that I am. I am not tired of it, it's just that I wana use less of the "darkness" in this car. I want to get a balanced mixture of dark and light as the theme and starting with the cars exterior colour as white is a good start. But not any white, oh no sir, it is a specific white one, namely the A96 Mineral White Metallic [gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous]

Here shown with 2 different light sources. Outdoor and indoor, and as we can see, it behaviours rather differently depending on the light hitting the car, and of course, in some situations, it will appear completely white just like Alpine white does.
Name:  BMW-A96-Mineral-White-Metallic.jpg
Views: 19484
Size:  760.2 KB

How I ended up choosing this one ? Blaime Lexus.. lol - I saw a Lexus IS250 in a white pearl and fell in love and fortunate as we are, BMW do have a similar colour.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 11:30 PM   #8
Andrey
Average Guy
United_States
Rep

Totally agree with you, diesel rules in Europe, but here in USA, Majority of gas stations don't even have diesel for sale.
Here in USA we like big gasoline powered V8 because $3.80 per gallon in still very affordable.

Anyways, have you purchased the car yet?
pearl white will look great!!! i drove white F10 550i and i loved the colour!!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 06:32 AM   #9
Oneminde
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Totally agree with you, diesel rules in Europe, but here in USA, Majority of gas stations don't even have diesel for sale.
Here in USA we like big gasoline powered V8 because $3.80 per gallon in still very affordable.

Anyways, have you purchased the car yet?
pearl white will look great!!! i drove white F10 550i and i loved the colour!!
Fuel price is one argument yes. A gallon [3.75 liters] 95 octane will cost me $8.35,- while a gallon diesel will cost me $8.29,- so not a huge difference no, BUT, the difference is found in the volume of fuel the engine use. Since gasoline is C8H18 and diesel is C16H34 this then mean that you get roughly twice the amount of hydrocarbons but interestingly enough, not more energy, they are roughly 46kj/kg. But different property's and compression ratio [with diesel being the higher] These things add to the fuel consumption.

The numbers used is an average and do not reflect every user, driving style or terrain, these things will differ

535d
Fuel consumption town; 8.5 l/100km - 27 miles/gallon
Fuel consumption highway; 5.1 l/100km - 46 miles/gallon
Average fuel consumption; 7.9 l/100km - 29 miles/gallon

550d
Fuel consumption town: 7.1 l/100km - 33 miles/gallon
Fuel consumption highway: 5.8 l/100km - 40 miles/gallon
Average fuel consumption: 6.3 l/100km - 37 miles/gallon

535i
Fuel consumption town: 11.8 l/100km - 19 miles/gallon
Fuel consumption highway: 6.6 l/100km - 35 miles/gallon
Average fuel consumption: 8.5 l/100km - 27 miles/gallon

550i
Fuel consumption town: 15.4 l/100km - 15 miles/gallon
Fuel consumption highway: 7.5 l/100km - 13 miles/gallon
Average fuel consumption: 10.4 l/100km - 22 miles/gallon

So there we have it, the average fuel consumption and as we can see, the 550d will get roughly twice the mileage compared to the 550i. The 550d is a straight 6 and 3.5 liters while the 550i is a V8 and 4.4 liters. This ofc will reflect the the average fuel consumption. The gasoline does not stand a chance compared to the diesel in terms of strength [torcue] and is a key factor since the engine can work with its full potential lower in the RPM range.

If this was 10 years ago, I would not have these debates. It was gasoline and a straight 6 - period. I love BMW's straight six, the sound and how the engine performs, I really do. So while a V8's sound is very nice, the sixer will be a more obvious choice, after all, that is the engine that defines BMW. I will admit that the sound of the 550i/650i is very nice and I would not mind having that engine, looking at the fuel consumption, then the choice is not so obvious anymore, unless one is loaded witch cash.

If it is difficult to get diesel, then you are left with gasoline, so not much of a choice. But looking at fuel consumption and economical aspects, the diesel engines are an obvious choice and lets not forget the power output the diesel engine give, a clear winner. The sound a V8 generates cannot be the only choice [can it ?] even if it sounds "better" than a sixer. I have similar debates with other friends who argue for a 4 cylinder engine. A European and Japanese 2.0 l 4 cyl engine can produce upwards of 500 HP and retain a 40-50 miles/gallon figure... that is impressive I must say, but I am not that keen on the sound.

So yes, looking at what you get with a diesel, you are absolutely correct, diesel is huge in Europe.

No have I have not purchased the car and was something I mentioned in the opening of this tread. I am a student and getting an education will take me probably 4 or so more years. Two of these years will be spent on paying off a few loans I have and then I will be able to save up for the car over the next 2 years or so. Yeah, I am looking at, at least 4 years before I gan purchase the car and a loan is out of the question. So this blog and project is at an early stage, but I have the time so I am not worried. There is also another advantage to the time even if I would like to pick one up right away, and that is the value loss on the car, this value loss equals less money to spend on the car itself, and if the service on the car is good [something I will look for] and considering the things I will do to it to make it personal, this means that the financial difference between a new or fairly new is the equipment and stuff I put on it. I consider that a smart choice, but that is me.

I will do a new entry later today.

Here is an article on the M550d.
http://ae-plus.com/features/bmw-trip...bo-diesel_2636

Last edited by Oneminde; 07-26-2013 at 12:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #10
Oneminde
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep

Colour, colour and colour, its all about the colour - part 2.

Alcantara Heaven... WARNING: lots of pictures in this article.

So, with the mineral white metallic and some gloss black elements [it will come], it is time to look at the interior of the car and the choice for that just happened recently. I "tottered" back and forth on this one for a long time, and reflecting once more on the light vs dark theme, I certainly want to go for a balanced mix between them. This time around, I want a luxury feeling more than an English Victorian era feel that dark wood and leather gives. It can be very nice yes, but it can also be too dark, so, with an era of almost exclusive dark walnut in the cars, that is not the choice anymore. So what follows is a series of pictures that reflect the choice [individual line] I will go for. Some of the parts can be found on the pre LCI while some is LCI. These parts will be purchased [in advantage] and retrofitted to the car at a later time.

PS: I do not own these picture and they come from different sources. If you should see you're picture and your name is not mentioned, feel free to add that info or give me a heads up and I will ad it for you, or feel proud that I used them - If the source for these pictures should disappear over time, I will re-upload them since I save the material I like locally on my computer.

The first set of images comes from remmib here on bimmerpost and is a series of shoots on the alcantara [full] headline, interior. So thank's remmib for the photo session.

That takes care of the headline section
Next part is the M alcantara covered steering wheel, first image is head on [original] and the second is a very nice photo from mike-lee.org

He also shows a different version of the B&O sound system fascia, I am not sure if this is custom or not, but I like it very much - looks better than all aluminum.

Moving on to the leather and wood interior. First picture shows the woodline and is the only picture available, This one is called; Sen Light Brown., we can also see the leather cover dashboard in this picture and that is also an obvious choice. The other woodline option is bmw individual interieurleisten XEW edelholzausführung sen hellbraun which is a light brown Ebony / Ebenholt wood similar to what we can see in the picture [middle one].

We now have alcantara headliner, M sport steering wheel and sen light brown woodline, what is left now is the leather interiour and this comes from the LCI. I only have the German name for it now: Exclusive leather Nappa: LZMW Mokka. Large photos.

Name:  BMW nappa mocca 1.jpg
Views: 9711
Size:  521.6 KB

Name:  BMW nappa mocca 2.jpg
Views: 10849
Size:  503.5 KB

Name:  BMW nappa mocca 3.jpg
Views: 10827
Size:  469.6 KB

Name:  BMW nappa mocca 4.jpg
Views: 11704
Size:  576.8 KB

Name:  BMW nappa mocca 5.jpg
Views: 8196
Size:  411.3 KB

That later picture showing the Ambience lighting package is very nice, it is also standard on the 550i and M550d, no matter engine choice, ambience lighting will be added.

Name:  IMG_3675.JPG
Views: 8329
Size:  302.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3673.JPG
Views: 8056
Size:  289.0 KB

Name:  interior3.jpg
Views: 7356
Size:  304.9 KB

Last edited by Oneminde; 07-26-2013 at 06:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 05:14 AM   #11
Oneminde
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep

The 2014 BMW 5 series LCI Brochure [English] is here.

2014 BMW 5 series LCI Brochure.pdf
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 07:30 AM   #12
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

This thread confuses me. in the next four years, bmw will develop another 5er. While this was a great read with some awesome photos, i can only see this as a dream for a young college student. I hope to be proved wrong, but four years is a long way to wait just to see if he buys the car to get the project even started
      07-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #13
Oneminde
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
This thread confuses me. in the next four years, bmw will develop another 5er. While this was a great read with some awesome photos, i can only see this as a dream for a young college student. I hope to be proved wrong, but four years is a long way to wait just to see if he buys the car to get the project even started
I must reply to this, ofc I must.. he he. Well, here is the thing. Ofc I would buy the car now if I could and who knows what might happen the next few years. But you are absolutely correct when stating that a new fiver will be launched before I get my hands on a F10. I estimate that we will see the official launch in the summer or fall of 2016, that is 3 years from now and the total life span of the F10/F11 will then be 6 years which is a rather normal time period for BMW models. And I am not that young, I am older than 30 and the reason for me going back to school is changes on the job market. I have had a few bimmers and know them well enough to be able to say that this IS the car brand for me, also the F10 is the culmination of BMW's design language that I personally prefer and is already a classic. So even if a new model comes along, this does not mean I will change my opinion on what I want, also, my opinion last longer than a car model.

I do however understand your rant and "disappointment" over the timeline, I would be and quite frankly am too, but it is what it is. I am however open for fundings, just PM me

As funding is available I will purchase parts that will not be available in the car I get, one such item[group] is Sen Light Brown woodline that is released under individual line in the LCI version. So will see what happens, but I understand your concern; will it ever happen and only time will tell, but I cannot use words for that, it is a simple matter of getting it done
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #14
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneminde View Post
I do however understand your rant and "disappointment" over the timeline, I would be and quite frankly am too, but it is what it is. I am however open for fundings, just PM me

So will see what happens, but I understand your concern; will it ever happen and only time will tell, but I cannot use words for that, it is a simple matter of getting it done
not so much a rant and i do look forward to you starting this project. best of luck with the career change and schooling.
      07-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #15
Oneminde
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
not so much a rant and i do look forward to you starting this project. best of luck with the career change and schooling.
Thanks, but rants are okay, not that every argument or comment people do can be considered as ranting, but if people say [not that you did]: Oh this will never happen between the words they use, I take that as motivations and as a matter of fact, I saw a used F13 trunk lid [crashed car] in "mint" condition for roughly half the price of new, so if that one is available later this fall, I will collect it and be one step closer to the project.

Used parts are a-okay if that mean I will save on capital spending. After all, once "you" drive out of the retailer, the car is considered used. Funny how that goes huh. Here you are picking up a brand new car and by just driving out of the retailers facility, one immediately have value loss ... lol, so used parts are no problem, and since the fiver I will get will need a repaint - especially after the fitting of the rear end - the colour or no colour on the parts are of no concern.

Used parts on a used car kinda makes sense in this case

I am on hold for a complete price list on the parts needed for the upgrade, but since BMW in Germany changed their computer system and are experiencing problems, I simply must wait. The prices are not available on realoem.com so I must go through my local BMW retailer for that.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #16
Oneminde
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep

Name:  B&O.jpg
Views: 6852
Size:  32.2 KB

This logo can only mean one thing, and that is sound and music. B&O is working with BMW, Audi and Mercedes while B&W [Bowers & Wilkins] are working with Jaguar and Maserti, two brands that are in the High End and Hi Fidelity end of music equipment. There are ofc other bands that are equal in quality and sound, but we know that they all differ from one another and is due to personal taste or lack of it.

I know from experience that B&O is a great brand even if I do not own any B&O equipment or have in the best, I had the opportunity to listen to their electrostatic tweeters many years ago and they were among the better things in life one could have, and B&O as well as BMW is exactly that, the better or finer things in life. To be honest no one needs these brands to exist, there are other products that are way cheaper that will serve you well, so its not about the "only option", it is about wanting the better options, wanting more than you need and forfilling the desire we have. Better can always be debated as well as the notion of perfect. When you call something perfect, you are saying that nothing can be taken away or added to the thing to make it better, and there is no proof that no object, reality or situation can be altered or anything added or taken away to make it better. That we already live in a perfect world confined in a perfect situation can therefore not be true. But we can experience perfection in the moment since the moment is all that there is, therefore all things are perfect in the way they are, even what you find imperfect.

If the car you bought 15 years ago were perfect, then why did you sell it (?) I've heard so many times people use the word perfect together with their description of a product or service, but reality is that everything can be altered, how ells can company's get us to buy new stuff. So looking at B&O and their Beosound system - virtually the same no matter car brand - we are getting the same system and sound in all the car brands, and since BMW is not making the beosound system as Audi or Mercedes is not making theirs, I figured that it do not matter what car brand you turn to for the components.

I found the tweeter design used in the Mercedes S class and must say I like it, so its definitely an option. I have included a few pictures of the rear tweeter since that will most likely be the one to use in the F10.

This is what Mercedes writes;

Tailor-made high-end sound system
The new Bang & Olufsen BeoSound AMG sound system tailored to the luxury saloon’s interior is available as a further new feature for the S-Class (standard for S 65 AMG). A combination of 15 loudspeakers and two amplifiers with a total output of 1200 W ensure a thrilling quality of sound from this high-end system. The algorithm of the digital sound processor allows a choice between high-end studio sound and surround sound, and the audio output can be focused exactly on the seat positions of the driver, front-passenger, rear seats or the centre of the interior. Music can be enjoyed on long trips without tiring the listeners, thanks in particular to the dynamic compensation of driving noise: a microphone integrated in the roof lining between the gullwing doors provides a continuous supply of data on the current interior noise level. The digital sound processor analyses all the frequency bands and increases the volume according to the vehicle’s speed – via individual adjustment of each loudspeaker and the different frequency ranges.

Name:  B&O Beosound Mercedes S class.jpg
Views: 7829
Size:  436.1 KB
So if the sound is similar, why choose these tweeters, well, that should be obvious. The design, that makes all the difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #17
Oneminde
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep

Its been a long and silent period, mostly because I've not had anything to add, but this has changed and the reason for that is called graphene. So let me update you on the plan and idea. A few years ago, the carbon structure graphene was discovered and multiple research institutes are now spending big money on research. Graphene is the new wonder material and the applications are endless and one region that caught my attention is the energy research involving this material and I figured I would lay out some of the aspects since it directly involves my (future) car.

We exist in a time where there are certain things we need to both consider and make obvious choices on. One of these are; energy, fuel and efficiency. An internal combustion engine is a liquid chemical to mechanical converter with loads of heat produced as a bi product. We as consumers pay quite a loot for fuel these days and most of the energy in the fuel is converted to heat. In fact, only 15-25 % of the stored energy is converted to useful energy. For most people, the heat is of no use unless you live in a cold environment. So, 15-25 % is a poor number. Diesel have a higher conversion factor and some claim that a specific diesel motor can get up to 51 % efficiency, but that is under specific RPM regions so not a constant number.

Compared to an electric motor that return 90-95 % of the input energy as useful work.

I can calculate the efficiency between Energy input (usefull energy) and Energy output of the BMW engines if so desired.

So, with the high gas prices and low conversion efficiency, something needs to be done. There is one such company that realised and released a car that is aimed at what the future need and that is the Tesla Motor Company. Bear with me here, this is not propaganda nor an advertisement for Tesla Motor Company, I am simply using them as a reference.

What they do is that they use two (2) 3 phase Ac induction motors with a shared planetary gear mounted in the rear of the car (rear wheel drive). The energy pack or battery's are mounted under the car body and all of this creates a very low centre of gravity, that is always a good thing when it comes to sway control and body roll or body movement - That is chapter one page on in the; How to build a proper car handbook

Name:  Tesla Model S drivetrain.jpg
Views: 6556
Size:  394.5 KB

So how does this all of this involve me and my car. Simple, that is the concept I will use for my car when it is converted to electric propulsion. But in order for me to make this interesting for you gear heads and petrol heads, there needs to be something very interesting in all of this, and there are

As of today there are mainly 4 options when it comes the energy pack: Lead acid battery, Polyglass solid electrolyte (gel) VRLA types, Lithium-ion and Nicel Hydride. If you look at the attached image, the specific energy of the different types are specified.

The problem with these types of storage devices is 1. It is a chemical reaction. 2. Limited duration or life span varying between 800 - 5000 cycles.
Since it is a chemical reaction, charging is used to return chemicals to their higher potential and every charging creates a situation were less and less reactive chemicals become available since they bond with different substances and are lost as available material and the battery dies.

There are another type of storage devices that do not use chemical reactions as part of the energy delivery, but rather charges are stored in electrodes and passed to a lower energy point via ion transfer - movement of electrons these devises are known as capacitors. But the problem of capacitors is or was that they had a low specific energy content, in the order of 2-6 Wh/kg but a relative high capacitance, the second problem is leakage and thee third is that they deliver all of the charge or nothing. The positive part is that they charge very fast thanks to no chemical reaction.

So what if you can combine the energy density and discharge control of a battery and the charging and non chemical reaction of a capacitor. Well, that is what is taking place inside Super Capacitors. But they have a relative short life time and a low specific energy thanks for their electrode material solution.

But a solution was created with the discovery of graphene. A principle called Pseudocapacitors and can be manufactured using biomasses and bio-type electrolytes. This principle is also know as a Hybrid energy device. I am involved in a research team with a research lab opening on New Zealand next year, so I cannot share research material atm. However, what I can share is information that is of interest and to some degree available.

As a consumer, you are mostly interested in the cost, charging time and driving range. So lets look at some relative info and indications in an early stage of development, compared to the battery technology available.

Graphene Electrolytic Pseudocapacitor (GEPC)

Specifick energy: 100-300 Wh/kg - 400 Wh/kg have been reported.
Charging cycles: 10 000 - 1 million cycles - 10 000 cycles and 97 % useful capacitance is left.
Cost: Still early, but expected to be low.
Charging time for a 80-100 kW pack: based upon 240V @ 16A is 7-10 minutes. 8A is double of that and 32A is half of that time

If you charge your car once a day then 10 000 cycles is over 25 years. I expect that a 80-100 kW energy pack will need to be charged 2-3 times a week.

If your car use 0.25 Wh per 10 km, the average cost will be 25 öre if 1 Wh cost 1,- kr (swedish) compared to a gasoline engine that consume 0.5 liters per 10 km which will cost 15,- kr/liter / 0.5 = 7,50,- kr per 10 km. Realisticly, the price will be higher since there are service need on the ICE engine and virtually non on an AC induction motor. So lets look at that number instead.

The government recommend 23,- kr per 10 km as an average cost. $3.49,- and include service and fuel. So if we follow that number of $3.49,- compared to an electric vehicle and remove the fuel cost which is roughly 15,- kr, we get 23 - 15 = 8,- + electricity per 10 km which is 25,- öre or 0.25,- kr which is $0.03,- cents, so we end up at 8.25,- per 10 km and converted that is $1,25,- per 10 km

Gasoline per 10 km; $3.49,-
Electric per 10 km: $1.25,-

That is a difference of $2.24,- per 10 km (10 km = 6.21 miles). If I drive 20 000 km per year (12 427 miles) the cost from the difference itself is $4480,- or 29 565,- kr. Over a 10 year period that is $44 800,- or 295 650,-

Did I get your attention ?

My power goal for the EV conversion is 400-500 HP and 500-600 Nm of torque
Appreciate 0