2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Cheapest (yet quality) way to get 535i/N55 slightly louder? (exhaust or intake wise)

03-15-2013, 03:26 AM   #1
K-A
Nice
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S SportDesign

Cheapest (yet quality) way to get 535i/N55 slightly louder? (exhaust or intake wise)

Looking for some info on this, as I'm not convinced I want this car even an ounce louder as I love the quietness it provides, yet with the "just enough" purely motor sound you get from that glorious sounding N55 when at WOT from inside (which is why an intake would be ideal I'd think).

But, just for the sake of knowledge: Is there a way to do this for a substantially cheaper price than the $1+K exhausts out their for these cars? My experiences with exhausts used to revolve around V8 Mustangs, and with my own, I found the best sound that car attained was from welding on custom-made straight pipes in place of the mufflers (LOUD but man did it sound mean). Second best sound was when I simply had 2 $40 2-Chamber Flowmasters (IMO sounded better than some guys' who bought $500 Catbacks).

Obviously the I6/BMW setup has a different dynamic, to get the most respectable sound on a budget. I'm even more enticed by a good intake setup that doesn't have a sometimes-obnoxious exhaust sound, and focuses purely on a throatier motor sound (IMO the I6 has a much better "motor sound" than "exhaust sound" if that makes sense).
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Some options.

1) Remove the middle resonator and replace it with a straight pipe. Cheap and should give you alittle more sound

2) You can also have a shop cut open the stock muffler and remove some of the materials inside to make it more free flowing and more sound. M3 guys do it all the time.

3) Have a muffler shop weld up two aftermarket mufflers to you car. With the muffler/tips and labor it should be less than 1K depending on the shop.

It all depends how loud you want to go. The F10 is extremely well insulated so its going take a pretty loud exhaust for you really hear it.
      03-15-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
Mr. Grumpy
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5

I actually replaced the middle resonator with straight pipes and according to my iPad decibel app I only gained 3 decibels and this was measured outside the car.

Some members said that changing the bent pipes for mandrel pipes gave them a more robust sound but it's a little expensive to do.

Burger tuning is currently working on a intake for the F10 so just join the club and wait for Terry to finish the Intake, that will probably give you the sound that you're looking for.
      03-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
K-A
Nice
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S SportDesign

Thanks for the responses. Mr. Grumpy: Would you say replacing the resonator was therefore worth it at all? Is the quality of sound good (aside from being a bit louder) or noticeable inside?

Alan: #1 actually sounds really enticing as it seems to be around what I'm looking for. Would love to get some more sound without actually replacing anything on the car. I wonder how it sounds on an N55 car. Anyone have links to sound clips?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 10:04 PM   #5
Mr. Grumpy
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Thanks for the responses. Mr. Grumpy: Would you say replacing the resonator was therefore worth it at all? Is the quality of sound good (aside from being a bit louder) or noticeable inside?
It sound just a little louder, not worth the effort. The BMW exhaust does a great job at silencing this car.

I'm personally buying the BMW performance exhaust just for the sound, although according to the website it frees some back pressure which may give me a few ponies when combined with my JB4 S2. Maybe not having the center silencer will make the BMW performance exhaust sound even louder.