2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 M Sport Steering Question

11-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

F10 M Sport Steering Question

I have a question(s) about the steering effort on the 2013 535 X drive M Sport. My steering wheel doesn't return to center after a turn, although it is a bit better than when I drove it off the lot (now with 200 kms). Also, when driving in a straight line and making minute corrections, I find the back and forth movement of the wheel to stay centered in the lane a bit heavy and taxing on the forearm.

Anyone with a similar car have a comment on steering effort at speed in a straight line? Has anyone compared the 2013 535 M Sport X Drive to the 2014 M Sport X drive for steering effort and feel?

If you have a 2013, did you notice your steering wheel quicker to return to center on a turn after some mileage? Is the steering effort on an M Sport different than on a non M Sport?

Thanks,

G
      11-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

I think I would take it in. There might, for example, be an alignment problem. You could also take the opportunity to drive another xDrive model (I don't think the MSport is likely to be a factor in the steering, unless your car has sport suspension, which I believe the xDrives simply don't, or adjustable shocks. That might give you a basis for judging whether your car's steering is normal.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
I think I would take it in. There might, for example, be an alignment problem. You could also take the opportunity to drive another xDrive model (I don't think the MSport is likely to be a factor in the steering, unless your car has sport suspension, which I believe the xDrives simply don't, or adjustable shocks. That might give you a basis for judging whether your car's steering is normal.
How do you find your steering effort when driving straight ahead? When you round a corner and let go of the steering wheel, does it return to centre?

PS I don't think there is an alignment problem as the car does go straight down the road (save for following some irregularities)
      11-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
How do you find your steering effort when driving straight ahead? When you round a corner and let go of the steering wheel, does it return to centre?

PS I don't think there is an alignment problem as the car does go straight down the road (save for following some irregularities)
I have a RWD car and hence electric steering assist, so I don't think it is comparable. My misalignment suggestion is not a diagnosis, but I think it is a possibility. There are any number of things that could be wrong with caster and camber that would affect centering behavior but not straight-line tracking. They would show up in early tire wear, most likely. Not something you want. I think the most valuable part of a visit to a dealer would be the opportunity to compare your car's steering behavior with another sample.

Somewhat off the topic: I find my car's highway driving to require considerable attention and frequent corrections, but not much effort. This is compared to my experience with a 2008 E92, whose hydraulic steering was heavy, and whose tires caused some tramlining on surface irregularities, but whose centering and straight-line tracking behavior was just what you'd want.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
I have a RWD car and hence electric steering assist, so I don't think it is comparable. My misalignment suggestion is not a diagnosis, but I think it is a possibility. There are any number of things that could be wrong with caster and camber that would affect centering behavior but not straight-line tracking. They would show up in early tire wear, most likely. Not something you want. I think the most valuable part of a visit to a dealer would be the opportunity to compare your car's steering behavior with another sample.

Somewhat off the topic: I find my car's highway driving to require considerable attention and frequent corrections, but not much effort. This is compared to my experience with a 2008 E92, whose hydraulic steering was heavy, and whose tires caused some tramlining on surface irregularities, but whose centering and straight-line tracking behavior was just what you'd want.
Thanks. When driving on a flat road without bumps or irregularities, the car tracks perfectly straight. I think any car travelling down an urban lane of traffic will require corrections to stay in the center of the lane. I think my complaint is the amount of boost on the hydraulic system is pretty low when at 40 mph so any correction takes some extra work, which is tiring my forearms. In addition, I'm not sure if this is a new car thing, but when I round a corner, the steering wheel needs help getting back to the straight ahead position. I'm not sure if this is new car tightness that will wear off and I'm wondering whether it is related to the molasses feeling when the steering wheel is on center.
      11-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Have you check your tires pressure?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Have you check your tires pressure?
35 front/39 rear

Can you comment on the steering on your X Drive? We have the same car except for the year and M Sport (according to your sig).
      11-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
Gilgorm
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 640i Xdrive GT

I agree with raleedy. Take the car in and ask to drive another one and ask them to drive yours.
You do need to drive all BMWs with both hands as opposed to domestic cars with light steering where one thumb will suffice. It should go back to centre after a turn but may need more help. It steers just like my retired BMWs before it.
You should not have sore arms from driving. Its possible the hydraulics are faulty.
2018 640ix GT; Alpine White, Blk Nappa, Piano; M-sport, Premium (Ceramic, SIRIUS, Soft-close, Vent/Massage Comfort seats, Surround, Sunshades, Parking Ass't), Advanced Driver Ass't (Lane keep, Steering/Lane control, Cross traffic, ACC with Stop/Go), Smartphone, Tint.
Retired: 78 300D, 81 300SD, 87 190E, 88 Porsche 924, 89 260E, 93 300E, 97 Volvo 850, 98 E320, 03 BMW 325iT, 02 C230 Sport Coupe, 08 BMW 535i, 12 BMW 535i X-drive
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 09:11 PM   #9
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgorm View Post
I agree with raleedy. Take the car in and ask to drive another one and ask them to drive yours.
You do need to drive all BMWs with both hands as opposed to domestic cars with light steering where one thumb will suffice. It should go back to centre after a turn but may need more help. It steers just like my retired BMWs before it.
You should not have sore arms from driving. Its possible the hydraulics are faulty.
I'm driving a '14 on Saturday. If it centres by itself and requires less steering effort on centre and it turns out it is different for '14 then I'll have an expensive decision to make.
      12-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #10
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

The '14 has similar steering effort. I'm told by the service manager that the non M Sport cars have a lighter steering effort. The good news is the steering effort has improved in the last week. I think as the car breaks in the effort will lighten due to reduced friction of the parts requiring wear in, but it will probably always be a bit heavier than I would like it. Not a problem as long as my arms don't get sore from driving it.
      12-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #11
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

This might be a good fitness program for you!
Appreciate 0