2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Off Topic: Audi R8 V10 Delivery Day

08-25-2014, 09:01 PM   #1
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Off Topic: Audi R8 V10 Delivery Day

Disclosure - this thread is off-topic, although it includes my 550 in it a bit!

So, today was delivery day for the R8! I had posted earlier that the R8 delivery was imminent - well, today was the day. I figured I'd share some first impressions and maybe even a bit of comparison and contrast with the 550 - and of course a pic of the two new friends side-by-side in the driveway.

As a quick recap of my last thread, I had been thinking about getting a "fun" car the could fill a void. My wife has a Q5, I've got the 550xi... but there was something missing - a fun car. I considered a number of different exotics, but I ultimately settled on the R8 V10 because it would offer a better usability factor if I really wanted to drive it more often.

As spec'd:

- 2015 R8 V10
- Brilliant Red on Black (with contrast stitching in red)
- S-Tronic Dual-Clutch
- Full Leather
- Sport Exhaust
- Carbon Trim
- Carbon Sideblades
- I-Pod Connector
- Illuminated Doorsills

So... my first impressions? This thing is a beast! First and foremost... it just wants to GO. I opted for the S-Tronic, and this thing blips through gears quicker than anything I've driven, which includes quite a few exotics. The old R-Tronic transmission was slower and clunky, but this S-Tronic unit is just ridiculously fast. Driving it in manual mode is as simple as flicking the paddles. Driving it in automatic mode is ALMOST like driving an automatic, but it's not. The car doesn't have a "park" (like any manual), so you stop, put it in neutral and throw on the e-brake. It'll also roll like any other manual. It's plenty smooth for a dual-clutch automated, and in normal mode (there's normal and sport modes), it's plenty comfortable, as well. Put it in sport, though... more on that in a bit...

The steering is heavy - like give your arms a workout in the parking lot heavy. But at speed, it's a thing of beauty. The throttle is very sensitive, and it's also easy to launch the car without expecting it... but I think that'll change as I get more accustomed to driving it.

Then there's this little button labeled "Sport" near the gearbox. And you wonder - in a $190k exotic with a V10 in it, what does the "Sport" button do? The answer? It completely transforms the car - that's what. This car that was SOMEWHAT able to blend into a crowd, not making a big racket or anything, turns into its wilder self. The exhaust just completely opens - gigantic rev-matching blips on downshifts suddenly start occurring... so large, in fact that they kick you in the pants and nearly scare the crap out of people by the side of the road (as I nearly made a guy jump who was walking past on the sidewalk... I wasn't expecting it, neither was he). Like the BMW in sport mode, gears are held very long if you're in auto mode and kept artificially low to aid in keeping the engine at high RPM. This thing hits redline around 9k, and it's just a magical thing to hear it climb up there - no need for a break-in so I'm told, but I'm still going to go easy for a while.

I haven't pushed it too hard around the twisties yet, but you can certainly feel that the car is mid-engined with more weight behind you. And unlike the 550's xDrive, the R8 only sends 15% of the power to the front (30% max if needed)... so it feels very much like a RWD car if I didn't know any better.

The interior is very, very well executed. The full leather, like in BMWs, wraps the entire interior - pretty much wherever you can touch... dash, doors, center console, etc. What's not leather is carbon fiber. So you're always touching something that feels bespoke and high-end. The navigation? Eh. I hardly played with it because I know it (and dislike it!) from my wife's Q5. Audi has nothing on BMW in the tech department, and the R8 still gets the last generation Audi MMI system - I'm told Audi made a conscious decision not to bring the new system (with Google Earth) into the R8 due to the weight of the unit. That's honestly fine with me - I shut off the radio, opened the windows, and just listened to the music out the back.

Interior room is impressive. I'm 6'3" and fit just fine. Yes, visibility is limited out the back, and the window roof line, especially for a tall guy limits visibility there, too. You feel very clearly how low and wide the car is... you're all but sitting on the floor, and rake of the windshield makes it feel like it starts a mile away - no way you can remotely touch it. Hearing and feeling the V10 behind your head? Very different... and amazing. The power is just so linear... it does really make you appreciate naturally aspirated high-revving engines.

Well, in any case... here's a pic of the R8 making friends with my 550xi. The R8 looks seriously small next to the 5... of course it IS a seriously small car, most of which is just engine, but the 5 has really gotten quite large in the latest F10 as evidenced here. I think the pair is heavenly, though... I can't imagine a better DD than the F10 - luxurious, comfortable, and quick - with the R8 now providing for true performance driving that's pure excitement.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 09:58 PM   #2
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Another pic from the side...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 10:10 PM   #3
puma1552
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 Mustang GT Premium

Congratulations, that's the exotic I'd buy over all others.

Can I ask what you do for a living?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 10:42 PM   #4
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
Congratulations, that's the exotic I'd buy over all others.

Can I ask what you do for a living?
Thank you! I went around in circles a bit on what to get - considered everything from Ferrari, Aston, Lamborghini... the usual suspects. The R8 was just the best of all options... power plant of the Lambo, German engineering, compliant ride for driving whenever/wherever you want like a GT car, etc.

As for what I do for a living, no problem - I'm an executive at a software company. And no, I'm not some crotchety old guy - I'm in my 30's. I've just been fortunate enough to really love what I do, and it allows me to work my butt off while enjoying it and making money.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 10:42 PM   #5
twelve535i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M Sport

Congrats! New car looks great.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 05:37 AM   #6
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Lovely car, enjoy!

I'd personally powder coat the wheels black.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 07:15 AM   #7
JesseIan
Private
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport, G37X, Tesla MS

Looks great man! I drove a 2010 V10 for a bit and was super happy with it even though Audi isn't my #1, and as you said as well the leg room/over-all room was impressive! (I'm 6' 3" as well)

Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 07:17 AM   #8
JesseIan
Private
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport, G37X, Tesla MS

Also, I'm interested to try S-Tronic as the one I'm referring to was R-Tronic like you were talking about
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 08:06 AM   #9
elusive
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30

Congrats! It looks great.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 08:34 AM   #10
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
Lovely car, enjoy!

I'd personally powder coat the wheels black.
Thank you! I'm not a fan of black wheels, but Audi has some nice dark titanium ones that I may consider as a second set. These are polished, which is a bit more bling than I'm used to - but give 'em some brake dust, and I'm sure I'll feel right at home.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 08:42 AM   #11
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseIan View Post
Also, I'm interested to try S-Tronic as the one I'm referring to was R-Tronic like you were talking about
The R-Tronic, like many single-clutch automated systems, was very jerky at any speeds slower than flat-out racing. The S-Tronic is a dual-clutch system now, and it's PRETTY smooth - in non-sport mode, you can drive it almost like you would an automatic with paddle shifters... a passenger may not even know the difference. However, in sport mode, it'll kick you in the pants - if you try to drive it in sport mode and fully automatic, downshifts are very hard and will make the car lurch. So, sport mode, from what I've seen, can really only be used comfortably in manual... which makes sense anyway, since you're not likely cruising around if you require sport mode.

The changes are just lightening quick, though, and I think Audi really knocked it out of the ballpark with this transmission.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 10:11 AM   #12
Bimmer5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Beautiful R8, great choice
      08-26-2014, 10:27 AM   #13
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

I'm not an Audi fan - if it was me, I think I'd have bought a Porsche Turbo S, but everyone has their preferences. Enjoy.
      08-26-2014, 11:42 AM   #14
Need4Speed_Motorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E39 M5, F10 M5, F80 M3

One day...

Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 11:55 AM   #15
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Gorgeous, simply gorgeous is the only term that comes to mind. It is also good to hear that Audi has continues to make improvements on the R8. BMW really need a car that will match the performance of the R8, the i8 is close, but it’s an electric car, not quite the same.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 12:10 PM   #16
valbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F10 M5 CP 600 hp

Hi ezmaass, sincere congratulations with that perfect addition to your garage! I test drove Audi R8 and must confess: the difference between my last Toyota and my first BMW wasn't that big as between current BMW and the R8. It's Gallardo-like composition and behaviour, fantastic engine enabling 0-60 in 3.3, sharp body together with luxury interior... this baby-beast is just incredible.

Hope you share more pics, the engine please if possible.
IMO it wants good wheels, maybe HRE but OK it is just a collateral.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 12:15 PM   #17
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Congrats.

Very very jealous! Hopefully I can be in the same situation one day...

Love everything about your build except for the wheels. Too much bling. I think a nice set of brushed tinted HRE's would really set it off.

Enjoy it!

Alan
      08-26-2014, 04:51 PM   #18
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Per a few requests... more pictures... keeping the 550xi in the scene here and there where possible!

Front - Audi redesigned the lights a bit in '13 with their facelift. I like the sharper lines now of the lights.

Name:  R8 Front with Lights.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  463.2 KB

Side - Another from the side... an edge of the 550xi... I can't begin to explain how small the R8 is next to the 5... looks like a toy in person.

Name:  R8 Side.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  517.6 KB

Back - Audi redesigned the tailpipes on the V10 with the facelift. The exhaust tips are now round. The black tips here are part of the optional "sport exhaust" option that provides an upgraded (read: loud!) exhaust, which is also new as of the facelift. I think it may be sourced from the Huracan.

Name:  R8 Back.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  484.3 KB

Interior - The interior is simply beautiful. Leather and carbon fiber pretty much covers any and every surface you can touch. Everything you can grab feels bespoke - minus the crappy Audi MMI (which we're all spoiled here with BMW's system - nothing on the market can match it). Seating positing is very low, and as a 6'3" guy, it's a bit of a challenge to climb in and out... and I'm young... can't imagine doing this at 65 years old with a bad back or something!

Name:  R8 Interior Side.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  411.3 KB

Engine - Here's the heart of the beast. The V10 sounds utterly ridiculous. Even climbing and shifting at 4k - 5k RPM makes heads turn. Bring it to 9k and there's no point in having the B&O radio on... you can't hear it! There's no mistaking the sound as a Lambo-sourced powerplant. On downshifts in sport mode, the rev-matching blip and "bark" out of the exhaust is enough to frighten children. As another poster pointed out, the acceleration is scary fast - about 3.3 - 3.5 seconds depending on who you ask... but it's not only the acceleration that makes it scary but rather the raw feel. Not having ever owned a mid-engine car before (or certainly a V10), it's like being strapped to a very noisy rollercoaster with this howl behind your head, road feel that's visceral, and the power... being naturally aspirated and so high-revving, it just feels like a tidal wave that swells very linearly. They just did an amazing job with this engine.

Name:  R8 Engine.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  441.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 05:09 PM   #19
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Gorgeous, simply gorgeous is the only term that comes to mind. It is also good to hear that Audi has continues to make improvements on the R8. BMW really need a car that will match the performance of the R8, the i8 is close, but it’s an electric car, not quite the same.
If BMW had a real competitor, I probably would have been drawn to it. The i8 just doesn't do it for me, unfortunately. While I'm not a huge Audi fan (I like the Q5 which my wife drives, and the A8 is OK), they just really nailed it with the R8... and so ahead of the competition, too. It's clear that the Lambo parts bin and know-how was the thrust behind its development. But being half German and half Italian, myself, I tend to think the combination was what made it winning! The interior is distinctly German with very German controls, comfort, luxury, etc. But the driving behavior is then distinctly Italian.

I've been a huge Ferrari fan for... well, since I was 5, I guess... but I was genuinely disappointed with the build quality of many of the cars in the past - we're really spoiled driving cars like the 5-series. For whatever problems they may have (all cars have their demons), BMWs are built like rocks compared to many other manufacturers out there. And once I started shopping around for an exotic, I was left "wanting" for more quality by many. If BMW could find a way to build something similar, I think they'd have sizable demand for it - maybe the fabled M1 revival that's rumored from time to time.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 05:15 PM   #20
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

ezmaass, you must be the talk of the neighborhood. I see your neighbor across the street drives a old beat up Ford F150 and a Jeep Cherokee
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 05:52 PM   #21
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valery.BMW View Post
Hi ezmaass, sincere congratulations with that perfect addition to your garage! I test drove Audi R8 and must confess: the difference between my last Toyota and my first BMW wasn't that big as between current BMW and the R8. It's Gallardo-like composition and behaviour, fantastic engine enabling 0-60 in 3.3, sharp body together with luxury interior... this baby-beast is just incredible.

Hope you share more pics, the engine please if possible.
IMO it wants good wheels, maybe HRE but OK it is just a collateral.
Thank you - yes, it's certainly a big difference getting out of the 5 and into the R8. I remember driving a Ferrari 355 the first time - it felt like I was learning to drive all over again... it just felt THAT different. The R8 was a similar experience... so many senses "overloaded" - different feel to the transmission being dual-clutch, engine behind your head, super low-slung, high-revving, big power under your foot... put it all together and your brain just goes, "I don't recognize this experience as 'driving' anymore." It certainly takes a while to reorient yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Congrats.

Very very jealous! Hopefully I can be in the same situation one day...

Love everything about your build except for the wheels. Too much bling. I think a nice set of brushed tinted HRE's would really set it off.

Enjoy it!

Alan
Thanks Alan! I've lusted after it for quite a while, so it was just time to pull the trigger. I feel very fortunate that I've found myself in a position to buy one - and I certainly plan on "sharing" it with people.

In just the few hours I've spent behind the wheel, it's almost impossible to stop somewhere and not get questions or comments. Some young kid in a Mitsubishi 3000GT (remember those?) came over to me at a gas station and asked kindly if he could take a picture. I, of course, said sure. He then started chatting with me about it - a thousand questions... what year, how did I like it, etc, etc. He was clearly into cars, knew all the specs, etc. I opened the door and told him to have a seat inside (he was trying to look through the window)... he was like, "really?? I can sit in it?" It put a giant smile on his face, and he thanked me upside and down (called me "sir" like I was some old dude!). I'm a little conscious now already of people thinking I'm unapproachable because of the car - I'm glad the kid came over and chatted. I think people who love cars just like to talk about them and share them - so I'll be glad to do it whenever possible, especially with kids or "young adults" - I know I would have wanted someone to share it with me if I came across one at that age... or hell, even at this age.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 06:08 PM   #22
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
ezmaass, you must be the talk of the neighborhood. I see your neighbor across the street drives a old beat up Ford F150 and a Jeep Cherokee
Haha - yeah, he's a contractor/builder, I think - don't let that fool you. Like most contractors, they keep the beat up trucks outside and the "good stuff" in the garage. He's actually very much into hot rods - came over nearly immediately yesterday when it came home to chat about it. I knew he wouldn't mind the sound of the engine since I've been listening to him working on chopped bikes, hot rods, and what-not for the past 5 years!

Plenty of expensive cars in the neighborhood (911s, BMWs, MBs, etc) - but only one other R8 in my town of about ~20k people (soon to be two according to my dealer - as another guy has one on order). The R8, while expensive for sure, looks a lot more expensive, I think, than what people imagine. There's a doctor who lives around the corner with an Aston Martin that rivals it in price, but somehow the R8 just looks much more flashy - lower slung, wider, mid-engine under glass, etc. So yes, I'm sure between the looks and the bright red color it'll make some people talk... but mainly the women who think it's a Ferrari.

Then head a few miles south from me, and you start hitting towns like Greenwich, CT - my R8 wouldn't get a second look there. Greenwhich Avenue (where all of the NYC 5th avenue retailers line the street) has its share of Ferraris, Lambos, Astons, Bentleys, etc on any given day.
Appreciate 0