2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2013 535i xDrive AC warm on drivers cool on passenger

09-03-2016, 08:49 PM   #1
jcieslik
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

2013 535i xDrive AC warm on drivers cool on passenger

I just purchased a 2013 535i xDrive and there is an issue with the AC. When you first start the car if you put your hand at the center vents, the drivers is ambient to slightly cool, the passenger is cool and seems normal.

While driving for the first 10 mins the drivers side is just blowing ambient to slightly cool. Passenger side blows cold. After long enough it seems like the drivers side finally cools down but still never as cool as the passenger side.

I pulled the center vents out and checked the resistance on the hot/cold thumb wheel. It appeared to be functioning (not sure if correctly), but it did function as a variable resistor should (1k to 2.5k if I recall correctly).

Considering Rheingold to see if there are any IHKA codes, but wanted to check here first.

I also feel the AC is not blowing very cold when at idle. I have not put gauges on it but I suspect it might be slightly low (condenser leak possibly, seems to be popular issue).

Thanks for any ideas/experiences/help you can provide.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 09:49 PM   #2
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

What you are describing is commonly seen when the system is low on refrigerant. The inlet to the evaporator is on the passenger side, thus it will absorb heat as the refrigerant turns from a liquid to a gas across the evaporator, leaving the trailing side cooled, where as no liquid is left by the time it gets to the drivers side of the evaporator, so no heat can be absorbed by the refrigerant changing states.
Appreciate 0