2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum GT VS X6

08-21-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
bmw_dino
Rep
Drives: F11 520DAT

GT VS X6

Hello all.

Yes, I LOVE my new F11.
Thanks to the help I got here, I did go for the comfort seats
Thanks all.

So it maybe a stupid question to ask......But, the idea of a "coupe" for 4 adults are starting to get to me....My next car.....Maybe.

But, what to go for, the GT 530D or the X6 3.0D?

The idea to trade in my F11 520DAT and go uo for one of these are VERY tempting.
Yes the GT got more backseat space, but the X6 looks cool.

For me, us, comfor is important, so it has to be on the same level as the 520DAT. But, the boot space is not an issue.

I have teste dthe X6 35, but these was one with sport suspension and so, so the comfort was not that good, to sporty for me in a car like these.
But, how about a standard X6?

Hope some owners can help me out, who have taken them on long trips, not just a short test drive.

Thanks for helping
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 06:29 AM   #2
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

GT is a mess and a mistake. Something about the X6 just makes it sexy.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
bmw_dino
Rep

Hi.

Ok, can I ask why the GT is a mess?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Some people just don't get the GT and you can discount their comments entirely. It's sort of like when Porsche came out with their SUV...sacrilege!

There is actually more passenger space in the GT than the X6 and, matching engines, the GT is more efficient. Some don't like the frumpy lines, me, I accept them as being functional. You sit higher than in the sedan, but not as high as the X, so getting in is easier plus you still get a better view than in a sedan. Because the center of gravity is lower, I think the handling is better than the X. The GT has a lot more headroom, and that was one of the big deciding factors for me. The trunk and storage is larger, too. You are essentially getting a vehicle built on the 7-series chassis for a 5-series price with the GT. I'm happy with mine. On my drive home from the Performance Center in SC, it got over 30mpg, and this was on a green (new) vehicle, driven at or above the speed limits (mostly above, slightly to keep up or lead traffic) on the 535ix-drive; higher than the EPA rating.

I've only had it for a few months, but so far, it has met or exceeded my needs and expectations.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #5
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz5 View Post
GT is a mess and a mistake. Something about the X6 just makes it sexy.
Disregard comments like this, because if comfort over room is your concern, with the exception of the LWB F02 7 Series, the GT has more rear legroom than every other BMW. Also the GT drives like a proper BMW should. You are unlikely to hear the complaints the F10 owners experience with regards to the steering.

As "jadnashuanh" stated the GT is a 7 series through and through - right down to the wheel base dimensions which matches that of the F01 7 Series. Browse the F07 forums for overall consensus and you will find that unlike the F10 most buyers of the GT: do not regret their decision(s) to buy, and are pleased with their purchase of the GT.

I might also add that I have received nothing but favorable remarks on the GT. The X6 is nice as well, but the interior of the GT wins hands down.
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
bmw_dino
Rep

Thanks all for helping me. Thanks for good information.

Have to go and do some test driving tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 05:36 PM   #7
cheaptrick
cheap
Rep
Drives: 335CIC & 35i X6

As someone who has owned both, I have to say I loved the way my x6 looked but I like the 535gt driving attributes a lot more. X6 rougher riding, sit way up high, just not nearly as lux. I like the mileage in the GT. X6 with 20's was macho, GT exudes class. I hahd comfort seats and nevada leather in x6 and have the same in the GT but the GT seats are way more comfortable, as is the entire ride on long drives-best cruiser I have ever owned. It's not as good looking but with tinted windows, painted side markers and a dark color it looks fine. No more boring than a regular 5 series. my 2 cents --cheap
      09-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #8
mikel51
Rep
Drives: 535ix gt

personally, I like the way the gt looks way better than the x6. I put my money where my mouth is
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 05:52 AM   #9
kn1
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F07 - 530d GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel51 View Post
personally, I like the way the gt looks way better than the x6. I put my money where my mouth is
+1
      09-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #10
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Disregard comments like this. Really this is the ugliest BMW of all time IMO and any others. Look at the sales numbers and even BMW admits it was not a good idea. NA production will cease.

Your reasons for buying the car make sense and sounds like a smart buy for you. I think most people that buy a gt do it for the same reasons. If it works for you guys that's great.

X6 is ugly too but it's hot at the same time. I think because it's bold. Gt reminds me of a Aztec. Ok it's not that bad lol.

I am not being mean and people should drive what they like. Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_fan View Post
Disregard comments like this, because if comfort over room is your concern, with the exception of the LWB F02 7 Series, the GT has more rear legroom than every other BMW. Also the GT drives like a proper BMW should. You are unlikely to hear the complaints the F10 owners experience with regards to the steering.

As "jadnashuanh" stated the GT is a 7 series through and through - right down to the wheel base dimensions which matches that of the F01 7 Series. Browse the F07 forums for overall consensus and you will find that unlike the F10 most buyers of the GT: do not regret their decision(s) to buy, and are pleased with their purchase of the GT.

I might also add that I have received nothing but favorable remarks on the GT. The X6 is nice as well, but the interior of the GT wins hands down.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 09:27 AM   #11
taka4707
Rep
Drives: 535iGT

I've driven GT for three months. Every day I feel great because it's so comfortable and fast even if I drive on a narrow road in Japan. My ex car was E60525 and it was a nice car, however, GT is much better than I thought. The biggest difference is the ride, much smoother. I have driven X6 and X5, but they didn't drive me to buy them anyway. GT did it. Once you try, then you may change your view. It's styling, some say ugly..., So many complaints..., fed up! Its roof line and rear view are so beautiful, I think. GT fans should speak up!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 03:06 PM   #12
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

I regularly get unsolicited comments from people that say 'nice car'. Personally, I think it looks better than the X6. To each his own...

BMWUSA hasn't figured out how to market or present the vehicle, and in that respect, it's done quite well. It has beaten any year's wagon sales, so in that regard, what's not to like from their viewpoint. Selling even more would be nice, but they've got to market it to both the dealers and the public.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #13
zumWohl
Registered
Rep
Drives: '11 535 GT

Get past the exterior ;-)

Quote:
Disregard comments like this. Really this is the ugliest BMW of all time IMO and any others. Look at the sales numbers and even BMW admits it was not a good idea. NA production will cease.

Your reasons for buying the car make sense and sounds like a smart buy for you. I think most people that buy a gt do it for the same reasons. If it works for you guys that's great.

X6 is ugly too but it's hot at the same time. I think because it's bold. Gt reminds me of a Aztec. Ok it's not that bad lol.

The GT exterior is an acquired taste. Unfortunately, for people that can't get past this they never get to ride in it and experience the luxury/sport combo that is incredible.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #14
car_fan
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:

At the end of the day we vote with our wallets. We GT owners are a united bunch and happy for the most part. Have you taken a poll on your fellow F10'ers and their level of satisfaction? I happen to like the F10, but I find myself shaking my head at those who continue to whine about the car for various reasons. We F07'ers don't seem to have as many detractors if at all

I have received so many positive comments about this car its not even funny. Those that dislike don't have to worry, with 495hp & 573 lb/ft they won't have to look at it for long anyway

BTW: the GT is not leaving the NA market anytime soon

Last edited by car_fan; 09-05-2011 at 10:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 04:44 AM   #15
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AMG GTC + RR Velar + 640d GC

Garage List
The GT was never meant to be a mainstream model - it costs more than an equivalent touring/wagon and combines a package of exterior and interior features that appeal to a certain segment of drivers looking for more space, luxury comfort with compromising great BMW precision and performance.

I put my money where my mouth is and got one. I have never been happier!!
It ticks all the important boxes for me - BMW driving precision, motorway cruising, superb acceleration and bucketloads of space in one of BMWs best interior cabins at this time.

Spec the car right and you get a lot of attention at traffic lights and on the road! There arent too many of these cars around so people want to know more, love the powerful on-road presence without the overt aggressive macho look.

Some colors work better than others: Sapphire Black, Sophisto Grey, Space Grey and Alpine White are among the best I have seen; I am yet to be convinced by the Neptune Blue and Havana Beige.

The bigger the alloys, the better.

On the interior, nothing beats the unlacquered matt fineline wood trim IMHO along with the Cohiba Brown leather extended package.

BMWNA made a fatal strategic flaw expecting a niche model [the GT] to potentially replace a mainstream model [the wagon]; it has learnt the hard way. But in Europe, Asia, South Africa, even Japan and Australia; the GT is meeting expectations.

If the actual driving experience of real-world owners is anything to by (rather than perception of die-hard BMW owners unwilling to see their brand evolve), then you should take the leap - get an extended test drive to see if this is the right car for your driving needs, driving style and of course your heart.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #16
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_fan View Post
At the end of the day we vote with our wallets. We GT owners are a united bunch and happy for the most part. Have you taken a poll on your fellow F10'ers and their level of satisfaction? I happen to like the F10, but I find myself shaking my head at those who continue to whine about the car for various reasons. We F07'ers don't seem to have as many detractors if at all

I have received so many positive comments about this car its not even funny. Those that dislike don't have to worry, with 495hp & 573 lb/ft as the won't have to look at it for long anyway

BTW: the GT is not leaving the NA market anytime soon
I dont disagree with you all, but BMW has hinted to the death of the GT in NA. You have to admit its not really doing well in NA even if you love your car. I live in NJ and they are so far and few between. I do not think X6's are doing all that well either. I dont know how to word it but I think the GT just falls in a weird spot on the line up. For NA is not really needed I guess or what our people want. Other parts of the world are a different story.

On the F10 your right so many whiners, but on most forums people only discuss the problems or dislikes. Plus we know most BMW owners are anal. IMO the steering should provide more feel. Car was also a little soft for my taste, but I have corrected that. I have never had a perfet car nor do I ever expect to own one. I try to buy the right car for my life and family at that time or near future. I am glad you like your GT's. Peace and happy motoring.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #17
car_fan
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokenHands View Post
The GT was never meant to be a mainstream model - it costs more than an equivalent touring/wagon and combines a package of exterior and interior features that appeal to a certain segment of drivers looking for more space, luxury comfort with compromising great BMW precision and performance.

I put my money where my mouth is and got one. I have never been happier!!
It ticks all the important boxes for me - BMW driving precision, motorway cruising, superb acceleration and bucketloads of space in one of BMWs best interior cabins at this time.

Spec the car right and you get a lot of attention at traffic lights and on the road! There arent too many of these cars around so people want to know more, love the powerful on-road presence without the overt aggressive macho look.

Some colors work better than others: Sapphire Black, Sophisto Grey, Space Grey and Alpine White are among the best I have seen; I am yet to be convinced by the Neptune Blue and Havana Beige.

The bigger the alloys, the better.

On the interior, nothing beats the unlacquered matt fineline wood trim IMHO along with the Cohiba Brown leather extended package.

BMWNA made a fatal strategic flaw expecting a niche model [the GT] to potentially replace a mainstream model [the wagon]; it has learnt the hard way. But in Europe, Asia, South Africa, even Japan and Australia; the GT is meeting expectations.

If the actual driving experience of real-world owners is anything to by (rather than perception of die-hard BMW owners unwilling to see their brand evolve), then you should take the leap - get an extended test drive to see if this is the right car for your driving needs, driving style and of course your heart.

Good luck!
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #18
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F07 LCI

Yes I bumping this thread after two years... But I just wanted to say if anyone actually noticed the GT sold more than touring in the end, not by a crazy amount but by a decent one. And I think it's incredible, it's fast (DINAN Stage 2), spacious, luxurious, sleek (when it's lowered it'll be even sleeker), rare, and unique. I see at least 8 F10's everyday, but only once in a blue moon do I see one of mine, which puts a smile on my face.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 11:15 PM   #19
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i GT

Quote:
I dont disagree with you all, but BMW has hinted to the death of the GT in NA. You have to admit its not really doing well in NA even if you love your car. ....
What became of this prediction about the GT and the X6? I see they're still being sold.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 11:58 PM   #20
Rafale
Zed Quatre
France
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 35is & '11 535xi GT

Garage List
Had never seen this thread but was hesitating between the two as well. At the end the GT is by far the better car in terms of quality of the interior, space, handling, fuel economy. Only the look gives the X6 a slight edge but not by much.
      04-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #21
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestHouse View Post
What became of this prediction about the GT and the X6? I see they're still being sold.
I said they hinted towards the death of the GT in NA. I don't care what BMW sells to be honest. I actually love the X6 and would have one but my wife thinks its ugly. I think she is..... lol dont get me started.

Last edited by scottz5; 04-10-2013 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #22
M3 n X5M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 M, 2008 e90 M3 6 MT.

OP, I had a 550i GT for one year. Had an E92 M3 for a year, then an X5M for a year and now I got an 08 e90 M3 with 6 MT and kept the X5M. I loved all these cars.

The x6 rear seat is as big as the M3. The x6 has an artificial price premium over an X5. In contrast, the GT is the most undervalued BMW today. You can steal a 2010 for 37k. Loaded.

The GT is beautiful, refined and feels like a big car. The x6 is crammed inside, it is like a fat 3 series.

Daily life will be premium comfort in the GT, and X6 life will be impractical but super exciting. The X6 trunk is stupid. You need 8 feet clearance to open and close. The GT has the convenient half trunk.

I would recommend cross shopping: 7 series, GT, X6, X5.

The first two are autos and have as such not fully independent rear suspensions. The latter two are all-weather trucks with phenomenal rear suspension setup. The GT tends to break loose a little over uneven surfaces in fast sweepers. The X5/6 variants are grounded.

I hope this helps.
Appreciate 0