2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Does anyone have Oyster, light wood & a six speed?

10-26-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Cayman GTS

Does anyone have Oyster, light wood & a six speed?

If so, would you mind posting a photo. Thinking of ordering this combination.

Thanks!

Bill
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
I have the sport auto but I guess you could imagine what a manual would look like in place of the auto shiftier. Its dark right now so these photos are night shots of the interior.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
obr2d2
Rep
Drives: f10 2012

I would recommend Oster Oyster as this is even more beautiful as a trim combination. We have it and are in awe. You get a lighter dash (its not Oyster but complementary shades lighter than the black). If I get time I will post a picture but trusy me it is stunning.

All the best,
Sam
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
scott in cincy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFor View Post
I have the sport auto but I guess you could imagine what a manual would look like in place of the auto shiftier. Its dark right now so these photos are night shots of the interior.
Is that Nappa or Nevada? Mine has Nevada, and it's really the only thing I would change (of course the used car factory only has certain models )
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott in cincy View Post
Is that Nappa or Nevada? Mine has Nevada, and it's really the only thing I would change (of course the used car factory only has certain models )
I'm pretty sure Oyster / Oyster is not available in the US. But I wouldn't get it if it was. The Oyster / Black is hard enough to keep clean and I have my car clean weakly / detailed monthly.

One thing with Oyster / Black. Its nicest if you get the black headliner. Otherwise the gray headliner doesn't really match and its introducing yet another color to the interior.

I have Oyster and Black Dakota Leather. The Nappa is not available if you get the luxury seating package. Lux seating is waste of money IMO. Just get Multi-contour seats + headed seats instead. The ventilation doesn't really work and it makes the seat noisy as you can hear squeaking where the plastic air channels go.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Oyster / Oyster is not available in the US. But I wouldn't get it if it was. The Oyster / Black is hard enough to keep clean and I have my car clean weakly / detailed monthly.

One thing with Oyster / Black. Its nicest if you get the black headliner. Otherwise the gray headliner doesn't really match and its introducing yet another color to the interior.

I have Oyster and Black Dakota Leather. The Nappa is not available if you get the luxury seating package. Lux seating is waste of money IMO. Just get Multi-contour seats + headed seats instead. The ventilation doesn't really work and it makes the seat noisy as you can hear squeaking where the plastic air channels go.
I agree that Oyster\Black is a better combination. In the UK you get a matching Oyster headlining as standard.
In fact I have Oyster\Black, light ash wood trim with sports auto and I love it.
      11-08-2012, 11:15 PM   #7
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Cayman GTS

Thanks so much for posting. It is a very nice looking option. I have a 2002 540i black on black six speed now and am simply ready for a change from the black.

Oddly, with the manual transmission, you lose much of the wood around the shifter. A bit of a shame given how good looking your car is. This isn't the case with my 02. Not a reason to go with a different transmission, but kind of strange.

In the US, there is no oyster/oyster option, only oyster/black, Seems to make sense to me - most dirt comes in on your feet.

Bil
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
marsb007
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX M60

How bad is the Oyster to keep clean? I'm debating ordering a Carbon Black paint and Oyster/Black interior combo, but my better judgment tells me it will be a constant fight to keep clean on the outside and inside...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #9
Bimmernerd
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 530dM xDrive F11 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsb007
How bad is the Oyster to keep clean? I'm debating ordering a Carbon Black paint and Oyster/Black interior combo, but my better judgment tells me it will be a constant fight to keep clean on the outside and inside...
Oyster/black is a very nice looking color combo - I have it myself! However the leather gets stained very easily by dark clothes. Although I use leather cleaner regularly (twice a month) I have stains that don't come out...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #10
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

Both my cars have Oyster/Black and I have no trouble keeping them clean and stain free. I have two small doggies that ride in back but on their own seats.

I like this combo with anthracite wood the best:

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #11
smashhell
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

+1 Best color combination with black
      11-11-2012, 03:21 AM   #12
Bimmernerd
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 530dM xDrive F11 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR
Both my cars have Oyster/Black and I have no trouble keeping them clean and stain free. I have two small doggies that ride in back but on their own seats.

May I ask what kind of leather cleaner you use? I use Meguiar's cleaner that people say is one of the absolute best there is...and it still can't remove all the stains from blue jeans...maybe Nappa leather is better? I have Dakota leather and there is no doubt it is very sensitive to stains...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #13
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmernerd View Post
May I ask what kind of leather cleaner you use? I use Meguiar's cleaner that people say is one of the absolute best there is...and it still can't remove all the stains from blue jeans...maybe Nappa leather is better? I have Dakota leather and there is no doubt it is very sensitive to stains...
I use Meguair's wipes and they don't seem to do anything. For me its more of a dark streak than a blue Jean stain I think. No idea how that happen but it showed up one day. The wrinkles you see came from the factory. It was like that when I picked up the car in Munich. I complained and they were supposed to fix it before I took re-delivery in the US but as you can see it didn't happen.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #14
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Try Leatherique.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 07:18 AM   #15
omaralt
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3

oyster with the dark wood is a lot nicer than the light wood IMO. i've seen both and went with the dark wood
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 07:22 AM   #16
Ionic
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
oyster with the dark wood is a lot nicer than the light wood IMO. i've seen both and went with the dark wood
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #17
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmernerd View Post
I also have Dakota leather and I normally use Lexol but I haven't found the need for it yet - cleaner or conditioner. I've only cleaned the visible smudges and small stains with a wet microfiber towel and a slight spray of simple green on it. I know, I know - no detergent on leather ever! because (. . . fill in the long blank here . . . ) but I've done this for years and years and many cars later I've yet to see the detrimental effects of my foolish actions.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 11:35 PM   #18
Analog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 F10 535 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmernerd
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR

I tried Lexol, Optimum leather cleaner, Poorboy's leather cleaner/conditioner.
Leather Master Car Interior Rapid Cleaner is the best I used so far.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 03:13 AM   #19
AMJAM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpine 328I MSport

Dark wood looks much better with oyster
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #20
SirNicholas
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 535i

Quote:

I wish black headliner was an option in 2011 I wonder how much a retrofit would cost
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 11:47 PM   #21
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirNicholas View Post
I wish black headliner was an option in 2011 I wonder how much a retrofit would cost
In 2011 it was an option. It was a standalone priority 1 option if you ordered your car (US market). In 2012 the standalone option was removed and it was only available if you got Sport Pkg. If you retrofit, you might as well get the Alcantara headliner the M5 has. If I end up purchasing my car after the lease I'm going to upgrade to the nicer Alcantara one. Would also add soft-close doors (not an option in 2012)

-Time
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #22
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post

This is what mine looks like. I use Pinnacle Vinyl/Leather Cleaner to keep the seats clean and they are still perfectly clean after a year and 30k miles.
Appreciate 0