2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions 550 Air Filter Element - checking & changing

11-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #1
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

550 Air Filter Element - checking & changing

Like to know if anyone has changed out their air filter for the 550 yet (I know there is a left & right filter). If so, can someone provides guidance as to how. I open the hood and seemed to be lost as to where is the filter housing.

I apologize if this question seems to be stupid. I am trying to do it myself and don't want to pay the dealer labor cost of $70+ for 10minutes of work

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
Jimefam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550I Msport

I have checked mine and it is pretty simple. First take the engine cover off, it pulls right off but make sure you pull from back to front as the end has a piece that can be leveraged and breaks off(happened to me and it's a $300 cover). Once that's off you'll have a clear view of the two air boxes. Take a Torx T20 screwdriver and loosen the screws on each box(I think there's like 8 on each box) also take a flat head and loosen the rubber oval coupler between the MAF housing and the turbo inlet tube. The the lid of the box comes right off and you'll see the filter. Mine was super clean so I just put everything back. Note: you don't have to remove the two screws to take out the maf sensor, there is enough slack in the wire harness to allow you to move the lid off the the side and still make it easy to get to the filter. All in it's a 15-20 minute job if your taking your time.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

^^^ Thanks for the instruction. They are hiding under the plastic engine cover.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
Douggie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X3

Thanks! Time to put in the K&N filter that I bought weeks ago

Edit: Actually, mine's not the 550, so mine's easy to change. Just had to remove a support strut which lies directly on top of the filter box. And after removing a few Torx screws around the filter box, I was able to slide the old filter out and slide the K&N in. Didn't have to remove the MAF nor any tubes.

Last edited by Douggie; 11-28-2011 at 05:20 AM..
Appreciate 0