2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Koni Sport adjustable installed on a F10 535i

04-11-2016, 01:55 PM   #1
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Koni Sport adjustable installed on a F10 535i

First thing to mention here is never put any lowering spring on your car without the proper shocks to match. I blew out my stock shocks 2 days after installing my Eibach OE springs. And those are the mild options from Eibach. The other thing to mention is get a shock designed to deal with lowered cars. For Koni it's sport adjustable and Bilstien B8. Take a look at the stock struts vs Koni's sports and the amount of travel Koni has over the OEM strut. M5 forums say the Dinan equivalent to Koni adjustable is 1 1/4 turn in rear and 1 full turn in front. I tried that and 1 1/4 turn is max so not sure why they say that. I turned them 50% 3/4 turn. We'll see how that goes.

I'm literally in the middle of install and will update to this thread as I get more seat time.
Attached Images

535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 1
AlexL4.50
      04-11-2016, 05:45 PM   #2
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
1 seized bolt and 5 hours labor. Almost ready a test drive.
Attached Images

535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

Appreciate 1
AlexL4.50
      04-11-2016, 06:01 PM   #3
vivanapoli806
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i Xdrive Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles
Will these work on an Xdrive as well?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 06:40 PM   #4
Jayphil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 535I xdrive 2011 (M-SPORT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivanapoli806 View Post

If I am not mistaken rear should fit but not the front. I do not know any front option for the Xdrive right now which is very sad.
BMW 535I xdrive 2011 M-Sport with H&R Springs, Niche Form Wheels 8.5 ET35 / 10.5 ET35, Continental DSW06 245/35 & 285/30, JB4 Map 5, ER Downpipe, Megan Racing Quad Exhaust with Vibrant resonators, M5 Diffuser, Orange reflector shaved and removed xdrive badge.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 07:18 PM   #5
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivanapoli806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles
Not sure either however A Koni rep can quickly answer that question. I would venture to say yes if you do a edc delete, but don't quote me on that.

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 09:11 PM   #6
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Ok 1 hour drive home from Azusa to Marina del Rey with 3/4 turn dampening on each strut and it felt maybe a level better than an M Sport with DHP in Sport mode. Not quite 335 M Sport, but very composed for a 535i. 210, 605, 105 to the 405. Basically every crappy-ass freeway in LA. I hit a a lot of bumps, uneven overpasses, potholes and dodged a few Prius' cutting into lanes and I maintained composure meaning my car wasn't flying around like an orangutan on Ritalin when hitting every imperfection of the road. I now feel safe at above normal freeway speeds, freeway bends/corners are taken 20mph faster then before and the best part is the braking. Man! It's all about the braking with a tuned suspension. The car stops much faster and with way more dignity. Nose dives are almost nonexistent. I'm going to move the dampening up front to one full turn and see if that eliminates all nose dives completely. The acceleration is also a huge benefit. The squat is still there, but greatly reduced. I've not gained power(obviously), but have better access to it. What that means the engine isn't skipping around and the butt of the car squatting thus losing power. It delivers throttle input to the rear tires with out suspension factors interfering. It's really exposing what the tires are worth. The other benefit is; I immediately noticed the posture/stance of the vehicle is more stout. When I installed the Eibach springs and the shocks blown, my car seemed to be more slammed than I was hoping. I thought the springs retain height, but apparently the shocks play a role. The car sits a little lower than a M Sport now and higher then a H&R sport setup.

I'm going to crank up the dampening and put up a video of how to get at the rear shocks without having to remove the rear seats.i
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
AlexL4.50
      04-11-2016, 09:49 PM   #7
bin01123
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 750i

Garage List
2011 BMW 750i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 328I  [0.00]
Love the wheels
      04-12-2016, 12:19 AM   #8
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

thanks for the review bro!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2016, 11:51 AM   #9
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

Very good review bud, one of the most annoying differences between my previous E60 550 and the F10 is the nose dive under severe braking. That alone could be worth switching to the Konis and lowering springs. It boggles my mind that while the E60 wa about 500 lbs lighter overall, the 550 had a V8 in the front as opposed to the TT6 in my 535, so how did they manage to create so much nose dive in a car that should be lighter in the front than the previous model?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 12:15 PM   #10
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinCA
Very good review bud, one of the most annoying differences between my previous E60 550 and the F10 is the nose dive under severe braking. That alone could be worth switching to the Konis and lowering springs. It boggles my mind that while the E60 wa about 500 lbs lighter overall, the 550 had a V8 in the front as opposed to the TT6 in my 535, so how did they manage to create so much nose dive in a car that should be lighter in the front than the previous model?
Bmw used the softest springs and the crappiest shocks in my opinion. I understand the theroy of softer springs = tire/grip, but those OEM shocks are such garbage. I didn't get lowering springs because I wanted to lower he car. I actually wanted to get a stiffer feel as there is clearly much room for improvement in that area. I thought about the M Sport Springs, but I have driven an M Sport 5er and it was good, but I wanted better. I thought Eibach 1, .8 set up would of been a nice and it is with the Koni's. Without the Koni's it's too low. Plus don't do springs without shocks. If I did it again I might have gone with the Dinan springs which is .5,.5

Appreciate 1
AlexL4.50
      04-12-2016, 02:17 PM   #11
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

I agree, springs alone will kill the OEM shocks very quickly. You are better off doing either shocks designed for lowering like your Konis and springs at the same time, or coilovers. Maybe a little late for you, but for anyone else, ECS tuning has the Konis on sale up to 44% off
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 04:14 PM   #12
Secret_Asian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f10 lci luxury line

Great review unfortunately xdrive dont get the same options, also seems fronts are easy to adjust because of the knob on top what about the rears there seems to be 2 versions one of them requires removal of the shock
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 09:01 PM   #13
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Update to how many turns you have have for dampening. The full amount is 2 full turns. It says to turn them before installing and apparently I couldn't get enough grip. When they're bolted in you can get it to turn 2 full turns. So I turned t to max and that's very bumpy and is definitely a track setup. I rescind my M5 comment I think the sweet spot is going to be 1 full front and 1 1/4 rear.

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 12:48 AM   #14
2tek
Daddy Wagon
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G31

So have you settled with the settings for optimal comfort and handling?

I just blew my front shocks with ACS too,but BMW is not covering the repairs as I did the ACS with them. They will not entertain the option of aftermarket shocks, so another fresh OEM install .

What's the ride height? Do you have a before and after photo?

My car is still warrantied till next summer.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 11:32 AM   #15
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tek View Post

I just blew my front shocks with ACS too,but BMW is not covering the repairs as I did the ACS with them. They will not entertain the option of aftermarket shocks, so another fresh OEM install .

sux! someone posted that the dealer is covering his shocks even tho he put lowering springs on.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 04:20 PM   #16
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tek

Still playing with the optimal street settings. So far it's seeming Iike 3/4 turn up front and 1 1/4 turn in the rear.

Surprised to hear that a dealer would even allow after market springs and still cover the shocks.

I'll take a new picture, but the ride height is perfect IMO AFTER the shocks were installed. Ride height is 1" front and 0.8" rear. If I was to make one more mod I would do 19's in the front and leave the rear on 20's like the M4 GTS! Give it that mean-lean.

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 08:54 PM   #17
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1252044

Now that I can quickly access the rear shock it's not as horrible as everyone stated to make adjustments to the Koni's.

Also would like to add that when I made that video I cranked up the rebound to 1/4 turn below full firm on all corners and it is awesome. In the beginning I thought it was too bumpy, but now that the shocks are broken in they still absorb road imperfections very well and reduce nose dives and lean dramatically.

Appreciate 1
thakid22287.00
      04-19-2016, 10:43 PM   #18
woodpecker
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 f10 535i

I'm fairly new to the whole car modifying deal and I don't have as big of an income as one would want when upgrading his F10. Would it kill my car if I got front coilovers and then back ones or vice versa? Would It even be noticeable with only half done?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 10:58 PM   #19
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecker
I'm fairly new to the whole car modifying deal and I don't have as big of an income as one would want when upgrading his F10. Would it kill my car if I got front coilovers and then back ones or vice versa? Would It even be noticeable with only half done?
It would not kill your car. It would probably have a cool lean up front with a higher back and honestly I was trying to create that affect. The negative to that would be front brakes would wear out faster due to weight transfer. Also you could cause a safety issue with crazy oversteer. If you do it drive safely until you get both front and rear complete for those reasons listed above.

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 11:00 PM   #20
2tek
Daddy Wagon
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
sux! someone posted that the dealer is covering his shocks even tho he put lowering springs on.
I am that person. Lol.

BMW is covering the shocks replacement.

Typo in my previous post.

I have ACS ,two blown front shocks at 42000miles. Car is booked for a shocks replacement on Friday by BMW at no cost to me whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 11:06 PM   #21
2tek
Daddy Wagon
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
Still playing with the optimal street settings. So far it's seeming Iike 3/4 turn up front and 1 1/4 turn in the rear.

Surprised to hear that a dealer would even allow after market springs and still cover the shocks.

I'll take a new picture, but the ride height is perfect IMO AFTER the shocks were installed. Ride height is 1" front and 0.8" rear. If I was to make one more mod I would do 19's in the front and leave the rear on 20's like the M4 GTS! Give it that mean-lean.
That's why I went with ACS, they have a two year warranty on Suspension related parts that fail. Obviously they will tell you to visit BMW first and if they stall you should contact them. I rang them prior to booking my car in.

They must have some sort of deal with BMW on this side of the pond.

Their springs are not the cheapest and they also insist you install using BMW official garages. Which I did. Shame they don't do dampers or full coilovers, I would have just done that.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 11:09 PM   #22
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecker View Post
Yes. One end would be too soft or stiff vs. the other end. You would induce either greater over or under steer.
Appreciate 0