2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum AC not working...?

03-26-2015, 10:37 PM   #1
BimmerLover98
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-Sport

AC not working...?

My cars ac isnt working anymore its just blowing air at a constant speed regardless of the speed that is set... Also the temperature is not changing whether it be hot or cold... Anyone experience this?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #2
Gilgorm
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 640i Xdrive GT

This MAY not be connected with the A/C. My entire system refused to respond to any inputs from me. This went on for a week until I got a 'battery discharge' message. Once I hooked the car to my charger and charged the battery the 'automatic' climate system worked perfectly.
Is it possible your battery is low? Many systems in our cars revert to 'dumb' or 'ECO' mode to save battery power.
You may have other problems but the battery could be the problem (10% chance).
2018 640ix GT; Alpine White, Blk Nappa, Piano; M-sport, Premium (Ceramic, SIRIUS, Soft-close, Vent/Massage Comfort seats, Surround, Sunshades, Parking Ass't), Advanced Driver Ass't (Lane keep, Steering/Lane control, Cross traffic, ACC with Stop/Go), Smartphone, Tint.
Retired: 78 300D, 81 300SD, 87 190E, 88 Porsche 924, 89 260E, 93 300E, 97 Volvo 850, 98 E320, 03 BMW 325iT, 02 C230 Sport Coupe, 08 BMW 535i, 12 BMW 535i X-drive
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 06:40 PM   #3
BimmerLover98
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgorm
This MAY not be connected with the A/C. My entire system refused to respond to any inputs from me. This went on for a week until I got a 'battery discharge' message. Once I hooked the car to my charger and charged the battery the 'automatic' climate system worked perfectly.
Is it possible your battery is low? Many systems in our cars revert to 'dumb' or 'ECO' mode to save battery power.
You may have other problems but the battery could be the problem (10% chance).
Took it in and the dealer found a leak... Thank god for the warranty thanks though
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 06:09 PM   #4
pdrf10
A Man of Wisdumb...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 550i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerLover98 View Post
Took it in and the dealer found a leak... Thank god for the warranty thanks though
If you could elaborate on where the leak was, and what was replaced under warranty, that would be greatly appreciated.

My A/C system decided to crap out this afternoon (in 82 degree weather, no less), although it never seemed to work the same since getting my car back from the N63 Customer Care Campaign two weeks ago. Goes in on Wednesday morning, and I'm hoping I can put it back on the dealership as a by-product of what was done under the Campaign. If not, she's outta warranty, and I'm not looking forward to the expense...

04-19-2015, 03:06 AM   #5
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530d M Sport, E87 118d M

Garage List
I bought my used F10 in February and noticed recently that the Aircon wasn't working (its only recently warmed up over here).

It turns out that the problem is due to a failed condenser and, although the dealer has accepted that this is a warranty repair, they can't provide a date when they can obtain the part.

This sound very similar to the experiences of many F10 owners in 2014 when (according to online forum experiences) thousands of owners were without Aircon, or their cars, for weeks.

Just Google F10 Aircon and you will find numerous examples of owners experiences including:

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/98474-air-con-woes/

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=753066

I checked the condition of my condenser before taking it to the dealer and there was no obvious damage due to debris, stones etc.

The Aircon compressor is disabled when the refrigerant pressure drops below 1.5 bar and error 801225 is shown in Ista diagnostics.
F10 530d M Sport, September 2012 Individual Amazonite Silver, Oyster Dakota Leather, Auto, Nav Pro, Bluetooth + USB Devices, Expanded BMW Online, Comfort Seats, Sunroof, Sun Protection Glass Individual Satin Walnut Honey Brown Trim Interior Inside/Outside Mirror with folding and autodip, M Rear Spoiler
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2015, 03:21 AM   #6
BavariaExclusive
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Spaceship

Get some freon added by your dealership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerLover98 View Post
My cars ac isnt working anymore its just blowing air at a constant speed regardless of the speed that is set... Also the temperature is not changing whether it be hot or cold... Anyone experience this?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 02:56 PM   #7
pdrf10
A Man of Wisdumb...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarshall57 View Post
I bought my used F10 in February and noticed recently that the Aircon wasn't working (its only recently warmed up over here).

It turns out that the problem is due to a failed condenser and, although the dealer has accepted that this is a warranty repair, they can't provide a date when they can obtain the part.

This sound very similar to the experiences of many F10 owners in 2014 when (according to online forum experiences) thousands of owners were without Aircon, or their cars, for weeks.

Just Google F10 Aircon and you will find numerous examples of owners experiences including:

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/98474-air-con-woes/

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=753066

I checked the condition of my condenser before taking it to the dealer and there was no obvious damage due to debris, stones etc.

The Aircon compressor is disabled when the refrigerant pressure drops below 1.5 bar and error 801225 is shown in Ista diagnostics.
Thanks for the detailed response.

I did, in fact, Google the topic prior to my post, and saw that most of the threads were specific to the UK, and were more than a year old. I guess, come Wednesday when I drop the car off for service, I'll be finding out real quick whether the issues you lads faced across the pond with the lack of parts availability will become my reality here in the good old U S of A...

05-04-2015, 10:43 AM   #8
mauszz
Romania
Rep
Drives: Bmw 520d

Hi,
Any news? Did the failed condenser part came quickly? I think my condenser is failed to - I will have my car check this days.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 06:36 PM   #9
pdrf10
A Man of Wisdumb...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauszz View Post
Hi,
Any news? Did the failed condenser part came quickly? I think my condenser is failed to - I will have my car check this days.
Update: the problem was, in fact, a damaged condenser as a result of road debris. Luckily, the part was in-stock and replaced immediately.

Bad news: it was a $2100 out-of-warranty repair.

Good news: I checked with my insurance company, filed a claim under the Comprehensive Damages portion of my policy, and got $1700 of this cost reimbursed.

Good luck!
      05-20-2015, 04:27 PM   #10
mauszz
Romania
Rep
Drives: Bmw 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrf10 View Post
Update: the problem was, in fact, a damaged condenser as a result of road debris. Luckily, the part was in-stock and replaced immediately.

Bad news: it was a $2100 out-of-warranty repair.

Good news: I checked with my insurance company, filed a claim under the Comprehensive Damages portion of my policy, and got $1700 of this cost reimbursed.

Good luck!
Thanks!

I hope BMW will find my leak.... Is the second time when it was refilled with refrigerant ..... And repair it for free....
Appreciate 0