2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Radar Detector turns off when engine stops

08-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
JamRWS6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Competition

Radar Detector turns off when engine stops

Hey guys,

Just picked up my new 2012 535i and loving it so far. Carbon Black w/ the M sport package

I hardwired in my Valentine this weekend and used the green/brown wire that heads towards the rearview mirror as was suggested in a few posts on here. This works wonderfully when turning the car to accessory and when starting and turning off the engine via the ignition. However, when the auto start/stop turns the car off at a stop light the detector also turns off and fires back up when the engine starts.

While I realize I have little to worry about being clocked w/ the engine off sitting at a traffic light its a little annoying having the V1 come back on every time the engine restarts. Do you guys have any ideas if this is a voltage drop on the wire?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
DLerner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535, X164 GL550

You need a V1 accessory called Bob the brown-out booster:

Maintains power to V1 during engine restarts. Installs in line between V1 and the 12-V power source. Includes 3-inch power cord and two selfstick interlocking fasteners. Available on the V1 website for $25.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
JamRWS6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaSyrup View Post
You need a V1 accessory called Bob the brown-out booster:

Maintains power to V1 during engine restarts. Installs in line between V1 and the 12-V power source. Includes 3-inch power cord and two selfstick interlocking fasteners. Available on the V1 website for $25.
Thanks for the info. I did some reading on their site but couldn't tell exactly how it maintains the 12-V source. Is it simply inline between the V1 accessory box and detector or does it require tapping into an additional power source?

Oddly enough, when the auto start/stop turns the engine off it doesn't always turn the detector off so I'm assuming the source varies depending on specific conditions. I thought it was headlights on at first but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Appreciate 0