2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum Oil Change

09-20-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Oil Change

I took my GT in for a minor issue with one of the rear monitors. I decided to do an oil change as well. I have 8500 on the odometer and decided not to wait until the usual (computer decided) 15k interval. If it were a normally aspirated engine I might have waited, not taking any chances with two turbo's. Plus I bought the car, if I had of leased I might see it differently. What say you guys? Are you going to wait for the oil service notification?
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 02:52 AM   #2
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_fan View Post
What say you guys? Are you going to wait for the oil service notification?
This issue is one of the most frequently discussed topics. And each side has its supporters.

I feel that there is no right or wrong way. Just do whatever you feel most comfortable with
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
relic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650xi Gran Coupe

These engines are so under-stressed one should not be concerned.
And bear in mind that the oil change interval is not just a factor of miles, it is calculated from fuel usage as a measure of engine wear, so that a car driven hard will be shown an earlier oil change interval.
With the synthetic oil BMW uses I do not have any mileage concern only a time one relative to contaminant build up - so I always get an annual oil change regardless of what the system says.
My experience includes 2 BMW 335 twin-turbo cars with no issues as I view BMW as having fully thought this through.
      09-21-2010, 02:05 PM   #4
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

A good synthetic oil, proper heat management, adequate supply, and many vehicles could go in excess of 20K miles without compromising the protection. There is only one way to know for certain whether the oil is losing its effectivity - take a sample and test it. Cost is about $25, but then you have to get the sample first! Considering BMW warrants the vehicle if you change it when their sensor says to, I feel you should be fine waiting for that to do it. Only if I lived on say a dusty road, or maybe in the desert where you got a lot of blowing dust and sand would I elect to change it earlier.

I'm waiting for BMWUSA to bring the 530d GT in, but until that happens am driving my M35x. This car specifies 3750mile oil changes, and with modern oils, I thought that was totally obscene. I've been running synthetic oil in it, and having it analyzed (at first about very 4K) to see how it faired. Well, on my car, I can get about 10-11K before it needs to be changed. This is with a high-reving vehicle (over 3Krpm at 70mph) engine with a 5-qt sump. the turbo engined BMW is geared to turn much lower at cruise, and has more oil in it. I would expect no problems running the oil much longer. Another side benefit from checking the oil is you get a heads up if something is wearing out. In my last analysis, it showed a small amount of silicon and phospherous, indicating a slow coolant contamination (no water indicated in the oil). Not enough to notice the tell-tale sludge from a bad leak, or to really notice a loss in the reservoir, but a heads up (pun intended!) that there was a problem developing. Tried some new Bars Leaks treatment, and will see if that did anything the next time it is analyzed. This is a new product from them, designed to lubricate the water pump, and aid in maintaining the seals. They claim some manufacturers install it in new cars at the factory. I won't know for awhile if it did anything, because the only idication I did have was from the oil analysis.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 11:08 PM   #5
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Thanks guys with my previous bimmers i always waited for the inspection/oil service indicator. I dont baby the GT those turbos get a work out regularly. I just notice that the TT V8's in these cars run hot (not as in over heating).They just run notably higher temps. Turbos rely on oil like vampires need blood, so i keep em fed - the turbos that is As a side note give me back the oil dip stick!

My G37 was running estoroil i have since switched to synthetic - going about 7500 between changes.

My QX56 which has Direct Injection (sans turbos)like the GT, runs estoril as well. It will be switched over to synthetic as well on the next oil change.

Supercharged Mini - running Synthetic - follows regular service intervals.
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)

Last edited by car_fan; 09-22-2010 at 11:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 06:07 PM   #6
pencla
Rep
Drives: X6

At the first oil change i change it ak 8k always
Appreciate 0