2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Trunk Subwoofer w/o Ski Pass-through

11-21-2015, 01:57 PM   #89
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
That's funny shit!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 04:57 AM   #90
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

off topic Teddy do you think you could have fit 4" quad tips with that DTM diffuser of yours?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 04:28 PM   #91
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Quote:
off topic Teddy do you think you could have fit 4" quad tips with that DTM diffuser of yours?
Yes
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 12:01 AM   #92
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddylongtooth View Post
Yes
cool! so back on topic with audio $hit i've always been told that the factory speaker wires were never good to use especially with an aftermarket system. in my all my cars i've always ran 14 guage speaker wire to my components and 12 guage to the subs. for the bimmer because of the plug n play factory speaker wire remains but i wonder what guage wire stock is? or just run new wires to the components?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 11-23-2015 at 12:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 12:59 PM   #93
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Quote:
cool! so back on topic with audio $hit i've always been told that the factory speaker wires were never good to use especially with an aftermarket system. in my all my cars i've always ran 14 guage speaker wire to my components and 12 guage to the subs. for the bimmer because of the plug n play factory speaker wire remains but i wonder what guage wire stock is? or just run new wires to the components?
I'm pretty sure the stock speaker wire is just fine for the bimmer tech amp and the stock or upgraded speakers for our car. But the only way to know for sure is to know what gauge the wire is and how much power it can handle at its lengths in the car.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2015, 12:21 PM   #94
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 528xdrive

I need to buy some audio equipment such as an amp to power two 600 watt subs. Hoping to get a good deal for Black Friday. Anybody know where the good deals will be??
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 01:43 PM   #95
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBentley View Post
I need to buy some audio equipment such as an amp to power two 600 watt subs. Hoping to get a good deal for Black Friday. Anybody know where the good deals will be??
Try sonic electronix.com
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 03:22 PM   #96
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddylongtooth
Quote:
Try sonic electronix.com
Thanks teddy I will
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 01:17 AM   #97
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

I picked up a XS power d1200 from ssa audio's black Friday sale, next week hopefully my builder will start on my box. If so I'll be starting my new install and making my own thread showing my install with pics and tips.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 11:23 AM   #98
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I picked up a XS power d1200 from ssa audio's black Friday sale, next week hopefully my builder will start on my box. If so I'll be starting my new install and making my own thread showing my install with pics and tips.
Nice man can't wait
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 09:54 AM   #99
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddylongtooth View Post
SWEEEEETTT!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 06:14 PM   #100
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep

Hey teddy did you get around to getting the box made? Excited to see. I'm going to have a box made for my subs in about a week or two as well. Question: I've been reading up on amps and stuff and I keep seeing different wattage on the amp based on the amount of voltage. How many volts do our cars give? I have a 528 xdrive
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 04:02 PM   #101
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Quote:
Hey teddy did you get around to getting the box made? Excited to see. I'm going to have a box made for my subs in about a week or two as well. Question: I've been reading up on amps and stuff and I keep seeing different wattage on the amp based on the amount of voltage. How many volts do our cars give? I have a 528 xdrive
You should see 12.8-14.4 volts while the car is running, atleast that's what I get. Most car amplifiers manufacturers are advertising the wattage at 14.4 volts which is what your amp would see if in a perfect world with no heavy Loads on the alternator. Look for a amp that makes its rated power at or around 12.8 volts, for example my jl 1000/1 makes 1000watts at 11-14.4 volts so it doesn't matter what my voltage is im still getting 1000watts. My AQ 3500d makes 4500watts at 14.4 at .7ohms, at 18volts it makes 7500watts at 1ohm. Take a look at Crescendo they rate thier amps at 12.8 and some of the JL amps, just make sure they are CE 2006 compliant or the ratings are false. CE 2006 compliant means it's been tested and proven to make rated power at what ever voltage the maker claims.

As far as my box, it's almost done. I went with 1/2" Baltic birch to save weight and gain airspace, the box is over 7 cubic ft and weighs 44lbs with bracing. I'll hopefully be getting my new zero gauge fuse holder and sound desdener in the next few days, battery will be here Friday. I'll be starting the new install next week and my own thread.

Last edited by Teddylongtooth; 12-05-2017 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 04:08 PM   #102
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You should see 12.8-14.4 volts while the car is running, atleast that's what I get. Most car amplifiers manufacturers are advertising the wattage at 14.4 volts which is what your amp would see if in a perfect world with no heavy Loads on the alternator. Look for a amp that makes its rated power at or around 12.8 volts, for example my jl 1000/1 makes 1000watts at 11-14.4 volts so it doesn't matter what my voltage is im still getting 1000watts. My AQ 3500d makes 4500watts at 14.4 at .7ohms, at 18volts it makes 7500watts at 1ohm. Take a look at Crescendo they rate thier amps at 12.8 and some of the JL amps, just make sure they are CE 2006 compliant or the ratings are false. CE 2006 compliant means it's been tested and proven to make rated power at what ever voltage the maker claims.

As far as my box, it's almost done. I went with 1/2" Baltic birch to save weight and gain airspace, the box is over 7 cubic ft and weighs 44lbs with bracing. I'll hopefully be getting my new zero gauge fuse holder and dyna mat in the next could days, battery will be here Friday. I'll be starting the new install next week and my own thread.
Awesome just fuc*in awesome! Can't wait this type of stuff gets me excited lol with 7 cubic ft you must have pretty much lost your whole trunk right? The box I get done will probably be around 4 cubic ft. And thanks for the recommendation and advice it makes sense. I'm going to look into that company you said. It's true what you say about most amps being rated at higher voltage. I need an amp that does 1500 watts at 1 ohm. Any other recommendations? I know jl audio is a great company and that amp you mentioned it supposed to be phenomenal but I'm really not trying to break the bank. That amp is expensive! Some guy who does systems around here recommended I look into this amp. I'll provide a link. The company is called Taramp's, but it's also a little bit on the expensive side. Tell me what you think of it. Also, is there any way to tell which amps would be more hard on the electrical system by reading the specs or no?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1616520...chn=ps&lpid=82
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 04:09 PM   #103
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep

Better price here

http://www.amazon.com/Taramps-HD1600.../dp/B00LU0HANY
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 09:37 PM   #104
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Quote:
I would recommend this amp even thou it's not 1500watts,

http://www.soundqubed.com/Q1-12002-Amplifier_p_30.html

I was looking into taramps 4k for my car but they are very touchy to voltage drops and they blow up easy from what I reserched. The guys in the local basshead car clubs told me the horror stories and to stay away from them. Also they are from Brazil and I don't know if anyone in the US can repair them if they blow, that's what made me decide to pass. The sound qubed amp I recomended is a good amp for stock electrical and will power what ever you have, just read the reviews or search it up your self. They are in Oklahoma and the guys who run its father owns Digital designs or DC audio or something like that but all three of those company's are good.

You never said what you need the amp for, I could better help you out if I knew what size subs and brand.

Last edited by Teddylongtooth; 12-03-2015 at 09:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 09:57 PM   #105
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

[QUOTE=TJBentley;19009383]Awesome just fuc*in awesome! Can't wait this type of stuff gets me excited lol with 7 cubic ft you must have pretty much lost your whole trunk right? The box I get done will probably be around 4 cubic ft. And thanks for the recommendation and advice it makes sense. I'm going to look into that company you said. It's true what you say about most amps being rated at higher voltage. I need an amp that does 1500 watts at 1 ohm. Any other recommendations? I know jl audio is a great company and that amp you mentioned it supposed to be phenomenal but I'm really not trying to break the bank. That amp is expensive! Some guy who does systems around here recommended I look into this amp. I'll provide a link. The company is called Taramp's, but it's also a little bit on the expensive side. Tell me what you think of it. Also, is there any way to tell which amps would be more hard on the electrical system by reading the specs or no?

I still have enought space for 1 big suite case or I can still go get groceries if I need to. My last box for the 15's was a little over 5 cubic ft and I still had plenty of room. As far as specs and electrical the more amps it draws the harder it will be on the electrical, take a look a the fuse rating for this. It's won't be easy to find an efficient amp that makes a lot of power for cheap, the amp I recommended in my other response is prolly going to be perfect for you and it's not that expensive.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 10:05 PM   #106
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I would recommend this amp even thou it's not 1500watts,

http://www.soundqubed.com/Q1-12002-Amplifier_p_30.html

I was looking into taramps 4k for my car but they are very touchy to voltage drops and they blow up easy from what I reserched. The guys in the local basshead car clubs told me the horror stories and to stay away from them. Also they are from Brazil and I don't know if anyone in the US can repair them if they blow, that's what made me decide to pass. The sound qubed amp I recomended is a good amp for stock electrical and will power what ever you have, just read the reviews or search it up your self. They are in Oklahoma and the guys who run its father owns Digital designs or DC audio or something like that but all three of those company's are good.

You never said what you need the amp for, I could better help you out if I knew what size subs and brand.
Okay cool good point made that company is based out in Brazil so if it went bad, it would basically be money wasted. I've got two Skar audio 12 inch subs. The vvx version 1. They're dual 4 ohm subs rated at 600 rams watts each but if you search YouTube you can see them taking a beating on much more than that daily. And at least you have some space left over in the trunk. If anything you could always put stuff in the back seat. Are you going to leave the rear speakers in? I notice a lot of people are against rear speakers and focus more on front stage but I definitely would like to keep my rears. Also, I'm probably going to make the port of the box through the ski hole but what happens if the rear armrest is up and the port hole is there? Would the bass get totally lost
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 10:12 PM   #107
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep

I just checked the amp out briefly it seems solid looking through the reviews on the site. There's another amp at that price point I was looking at by Rockford fosgate. It's the prime r1200-1d http://www.sonicelectronix.com/index...FQotHwodjP4MtQ Rockford is a reputable brand so between those two which would you choose? I also looked into audiopipe as well and I'm sure you know they're a real budget amp but seem to do close to rated. (Apcl 15001d) not sure if their efficient or not
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 10:34 PM   #108
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Quote:
Okay cool good point made that company is based out in Brazil so if it went bad, it would basically be money wasted. I've got two Skar audio 12 inch subs. The vvx version 1. They're dual 4 ohm subs rated at 600 rams watts each but if you search YouTube you can see them taking a beating on much more than that daily. And at least you have some space left over in the trunk. If anything you could always put stuff in the back seat. Are you going to leave the rear speakers in? I notice a lot of people are against rear speakers and focus more on front stage but I definitely would like to keep my rears. Also, I'm probably going to make the port of the box through the ski hole but what happens if the rear armrest is up and the port hole is there? Would the bass get totally lost
I think the SQ'd amp will work for those, but your limited on how much power you can push as you already found out. I'm keeping my rear speakers and prolly won't be changing the fronts for awhile. The port thru the ski hole won't work in your car, it will not have an uneven sound as the subs will be in the trunk and the bass will be louder at the tuning frequency because it will be directed into the cabin while the other frequencies will be in the trunk. You can point the port and the subs towards the ski hole but they can't be separated like you mentioned. Yes you will lose your sound if you close the armrest not totally but it make a big difference in output while it's down. Our sealed up back seats really screw the option for a subwoofer in our cars, it's prolly why bmw didn't put a sub in the trunk and nobody makes one for our car. In my opinion a band pass box ported thru the ski hole is the only option without having major problems with vibration or cancellation. Wait till I get mine done so I can confirm it is the better option.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 10:39 PM   #109
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I think the SQ'd amp will work for those, but your limited on how much power you can push as you already found out. I'm keeping my rear speakers and prolly won't be changing the fronts for awhile. The port thru the ski hole won't work in your car, it will not have an uneven sound as the subs will be in the trunk and the bass will be louder at the tuning frequency because it will be directed into the cabin while the other frequencies will be in the trunk. You can point the port and the subs towards the ski hole but they can't be separated like you mentioned. Yes you will lose your sound if you close the armrest not totally but it make a big difference in output while it's down. Our sealed up back seats really screw the option for a subwoofer in our cars, it's prolly why bmw didn't put a sub in the trunk and nobody makes one for our car. In my opinion a band pass box ported thru the ski hole is the only option without having major problems with vibration or cancellation. Wait till I get mine done so I can confirm it is the better option.
Okay fair enough I'll wait to see what you do with yours. I wonder if cutting a hole in the top rear deck and porting the subs through there would be a viable option. The box will be custom made I just need to figure out what design I want
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 10:41 PM   #110
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Quote:
I just checked the amp out briefly it seems solid looking through the reviews on the site. There's another amp at that price point I was looking at by Rockford fosgate. It's the prime r1200-1d http://www.sonicelectronix.com/index...FQotHwodjP4MtQ Rockford is a reputable brand so between those two which would you choose? I also looked into audiopipe as well and I'm sure you know they're a real budget amp but seem to do close to rated. (Apcl 15001d) not sure if their efficient or not
The fosgate amp is just as good or better, they make more than rated power. Just go to YouTube and check out Steve meads amp test Tuesday vids, he puts them on an amp dyno and RF always does good. I don't know about audio pipe other than a lot of people use them and like them, but they are low quality.
Appreciate 0