2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum New BMW M535I

04-21-2024, 10:04 AM   #1
schaddydaddy
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M535i

New BMW M535I

Hello everyone, I just recently bought a 2012 BMW M535i. I don't know much about them, but my best friend used to have a 528i and told me to get it 535i. It only has 50k miles on it. Is there anything I should be worried about, I've been told that there are sometimes some engine problems. As of now, I want to keep it stock, but I want to ensure the engine is reliable enough to get mods like a stage 2 or something. Also, this is my first post, so please let me know if I did something wrong or should change something. I would love to learn more. Thank you guys!
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2024, 11:47 AM   #2
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Welcome to the forum, and congratulation on your new BMW. Great choice.

You asked some great questions, and since I've got a '14 535 w/ 48K miles, we have similar vintage vehicles.

1. You have a pre-LCI F10, which may look similar, and may share a lot of parts with an LCI F10, but there are differences that will cause you pain if you buy the wrong variante. Do your research before buying parts to ensure they work on your variate of vehicle.

2. I highly recommend you enjoy your BMW as is for a while, learn its quirks, learn its drivability, make yourself aware of its current condition before mod'ing...replace parts to support repairs. Everything you disturb on the vehicle, runs the risk of doing more harm than good...Example, given the various steel and aluminum bolts/hardware used on the F10, many do not properly torque the bolts/hardware correctly, or reuse them when BMW categorizes them as "single-use", and it's assumed your Mechanic professional adheres 100% BMW TIS procedure....then wonders why constant repairs ends up snowballing into other issues.

3. You might be tempted to get replacement parts that costs 1/10th new over the BMW OE parts (like $120 vs $600)...I'm not talking about OEM, but rather those parts that are not OE, nor OEM. For certain things, I'd rather put a "used" OE eBay part on my car (which I don't), than a non-OE or non-OEM new part if affordability is a variable.

4. Heat cycling has a higher implications on your vehicle's gaskets/seals deterioration, over the actual miles. While miles are correlated to wear-and-tear for sure and is directly corrected to mechanical wear, gaskets and seals become brittle based on "out-gassing" which is accelerated by heat, not miles per se. But age (out-gassing still occurs based on time), your 40K mile engine gaskets are just as susceptible to failure just due to being 13 years old (assuming they are original).

5. Do NOT drink from the kool-aid that, with enough Mod's, your F10 535 will turn into a monster. While it does have 300 ponies, which was a little less than a 2000 BMW V-8 could produce, it will NEVER catch up to a modern BMW V-8, so if that's what you want, keep the 535, keep it original, get used to it, learn how to work on it, then sell it for a 550 or an ///M5 (Highly recommend to trade up)

Here is what I recommend:

1. Check your battery in your trunk. If original, think about replacing it with an AGM battery (I recommend a BMW branded version, 105Ah = $200 at my local dealership...a bit cheaper than one from Autozone)

2. Check ALL of your filters...there is a small chance that your engine air intake filter and your cabin filters are still original

3. Get rid of those RFT's, although the Arizona Sun may make those RFT's ride like non-RFT's...still, non-RFT's will be kinder on your suspension.

4. If your car is solid, then think about doing F10 Mod's first. Learn ISTA. Learn ESYS. Learn TIS content about your F10. Change out interior parts from Dakota to Merino leather...steering wheel, etc...this forum is rich with help on this stuff...you can even think about a plug in tune, but learn about your car. Then help us on this forum to help others on this forum.

5. Post a picture of your new ride on the forum

Independent of the responses you may receive to your post, do what you want with your vehicle...we are merely only providing our opinions...ultimately your car mods are your choices...Above all, enjoy your new ride.

.....my 2 cents.

Cheers

——- Edit ——-

Below is my '14 F10....and did many Mods, but all the Mods are BMW factory Mods, so 100% original. Yes, that is a full Merino Leather ///M5 interior swap with all the seat and A/C ventilation goodies...Full leather, top and bottom, dashboard! Full leather, top and bottom, door cards! Love this car......
Attached Images

Last edited by M_Bimmer; 04-21-2024 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 7
      04-21-2024, 05:43 PM   #3
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Everything above is great info! Hopefully you have done some research before jumping into the deep end! F10s are good cars, but definitely have some required maintenance items that the uninformed are not prepared for!

Get a BMWCCA membership. It'll pay for itself the first time you need new Michelins! BMW dealers also give pretty good pricing on parts for members.

Keep it parked in the shade, the AZ sun will destroy the rubber seals quickly.
Have the transmission fluid and filter changed around 60k miles. If the shop tries to talk you out if it, they are not a knowledgeable shop and should be avoided!
Presuming you are in the PHX area. If so, lots of German independent shops around Scottsdale airport area... figure out the best one for you. The North Scottsdale BMW's parts department has treated me VERY well in the past. Check them out for parts availability.

I think the only upgrade coming your way is the charge pipe update. Look that up. Not a big deal. Maybe an oil catch can, although condensation may not be a problem in AZ.

If you don't have a remote oil cooler, consider getting one installed. I think this would help immensely in a hot environment! You can see the hoses leading to it in M_Bimmer's last pic if you want to compare:

Don't know how much of a DIYer you are, but these cars and BMWs in general have tons videos showing service, a solid online community, and parts are readily available. So it is a good opportunity to become acquainted with FCPEuro!
Appreciate 3
      04-21-2024, 11:31 PM   #4
ctcarbonari
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535i M Sport

Garage List
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
All great advice so far & congratulations on the new-to-me Bimmer!!!
You got yourself a good find with such low miles. If you plan on keeping your car for awhile you're at a great point to stay on top of the preventative maintenance!

+1 to the Transmission oil change & filter/pan advice @ 60k miles! ZF, the manufacturer of your transmission, recommends oil/filter service @ 60k miles / 8 years. The fill procedure is a bit unique, and specific, so make sure either YOU, or your mechanic is aware of the process. While you're at it, a good time to change the differential oil too.

+1 to the engine air & cabin filters change-out.

+1 to checking on the battery. It very well could be the original AGM.

50k miles is when you're due for new spark plugs. I went ahead and swapped out the ignition coils too (while I was there and keep the old on hand) but it's not necessary, imo.

Brake Fluid Flush every 2 years.
Coolant Flush every 4 years (this one is a bit debatable)

+1 to the heat cycling comments above. The N55 engine is know to leak oil from the valve cover starting ~60k+ miles and is not a huge deal, but will just smell bad. The oil filter housing gasket (OFHG) is the leak that you'll want to keep an eye out for and fix right away when it happens. Plenty of info out there on this one.

+1 to all the OE/OEM parts from trusted vendors comments above! You may want to consider aftermarket aluminum "mickey mouse" flange on coolant system and aftermarket crank seal guard. You can check into those items as you learn your engine.

Get your hands on a scanner that can read BMW specific codes. There are some very economical options out there that are "stupid simple" to use and they'll all pay for themselves the first time you them to diagnose an issue or reset a service counter, register a battery, etc.

+1 to Enjoy your car for awhile and get to know it!!! Months after purchasing my new-to-me 15' 535i I was still learning all kinds of new-to-me aspects of my car.

If/when you go down the tuning route accept that the 535i will never be a monster, but will be a damn comfortable ride w/ very nice features and a bit of 'get up and go" ready for you under your foot.

The first thing I did on my BMW was to replace ALL the fluids and filters during my inital ownership in the 53k - 60k mile range. Then I KNEW I have an established base point for future PM service.

Oh yes, and post a pic!!! We love pics around here!!!

Here's mine (Pre-mudflap install...lol):
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-23-2024, 05:39 PM   #5
ChiNorm
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 535xi

Per the previous post, start swapping out all the 'lifetime' fluids, including the tranny, transfer case, ect. My transfer case oil was black when drained at 50k miles.

Good luck.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2024, 10:51 AM   #6
schaddydaddy
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M535i

Hey guys, it is me once again. Thank you guys so much for your help. Your guy's BMWs are so beautiful. Here are just a few pictures. I need to get a wash, but I have just been busy. Here are a few things I want to do like I do all the essential fluids and everything.

1. I would like to get a carbon lip or black lip.

2. Should I get black wheels? I've always loved black wheels. If I did do that, should I get all-new wheels, or should I like powder coat the M-style wheels I have now?

3. Get a diffuser and a front lip.

4. Since I'm in Arizona, I need some nice tint because it is starting to get really hot.

5 If you guys have any more mods that are just looks rather than performance that would be nice

Don't worry. I don't plan on doing these things for a long time while saving money and doing all the basics. Thank you guys and if you guys want more pictures I can get you guys more
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 11:47 PM   #7
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Get some tint with IR blocking. You'll really appreciate it!
Appreciate 0