2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 1500 Mile Update - Thoughts and Impressions on 535i

07-01-2010, 01:32 AM   #23
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernic View Post
Robin Hood, AFAIK, the Normal/Sport/Sport+ in the Sports Auto transmission changes the throttle map, the transmission change up points and the steering response. If I understand you correctly, together with the M-Sport (704) suspension, it also affects the suspension, making it stiffer/sportier when Sport/Sport+ is selected. This is very interesting indeed.

Would you be able to post the link to the Dutch car forum that you mentioned?

Thanks.

Do you speak any dutch?
Scroll down to post #279, a guy called Skipper.(530d A) I'm 'RH' (same avatar)
http://www.gummen.org/forum/showthre...erie-F10/page7

EDIT: Here is a vid of it:

And the text from the official dutch BMW distributor (100% BMW AG daughter so to speak):

Quote:
"Dynamic Driving Control.
Hoe wilt u vandaag rijden? De standaard Dynamic Driving Control zorgt voor het verschil. Pas de BMW 5 Serie Sedan aan uw wensen aan. Of die van uw passagiers.
Een druk op de schakelaar naast de versnelingspook is voldoende om het rijplezier naar een nog hoger plan te tillen: van NORMAL naar SPORT. De motor reageert nog spontaner op commando’s van het gaspedaal, de 8-traps automatische transmissie Steptronic laat de motor flink in toeren klimmen voor de volgende trap sportief-snel wordt ingeschakeld. Tegelijkertijd worden besturing en onderstel steviger. Nogmaals drukken activeert de modus SPORT+. In deze stand laat de Dynamische Stabiliteits Controle gecontroleerde drifts tot in het grensbereik toe.

Onder de snelheidsmeter wordt telkens aangegeven, welke modus geactiveerd is. Met de iDrive-controller kunt u voor de modus SPORT de afstemming van aandrijving en onderstel snel en individueel configureren, bijvoorbeeld voor vlot rijden op slechte wegen.

In combinatie met Dynamic Damping Control heeft u de beschikking over de aanvullende modus COMFORT. Vooral op lange ritten een waardevolle toevoeging."
The only thing is I don't have the COMFORT button because I don't have the electronic dampers, so I have NORMAL (704 stiffer suspension), SPORT(a bit stiffer) and SPORT plus: allowing more controlled drifts...and pushing another small button above the big button turns of the whole DSC stability system...

FWIW. I can translate it for you but it's what I mentioned before more or less, in this thread, page 1.

Cheers
Robin

Last edited by Robin_NL; 07-01-2010 at 01:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 06:10 AM   #24
bimmernic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 (523)

Veel dank. Nee, maar ik heb de hulp van Google.

Somehow, it still doesn't make sense, notwithstanding what you and Skipper have experienced. If the M-Sport (704) suspension employed active dampers (like the M suspension in the Z4), one would have thought that BMW would have highlighted this, unless it is a ploy to get buyers to opt for the VDC (at 3X the cost of the M-Sport suspension!). Still, I am not complaining as I have included the M-Sport suspension in my order
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 12:15 AM   #25
ddd269
Private
Chile
Rep
Drives: F10 528iA Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by aderoz View Post

Seizing this opportunity to give a heads up to all new owners...Be very careful about what you put in the coin box and the cup holder trays in the center console. Do not store coins or similar items in them!! I did this and somehow I could not get both trays to latch or open properly because the coins found their way into crevices in the trays. I ended up at the dealer only to be told that they must remove the whole center console in order to get to the coins which had interrupted the open and close mechanisms. Imagine your new car being taken apart after just 3 weeks. So I went home and used my ingenuity using folded paper and a small hair tweezer to force the coins out. After about an hour or so, and many tries, I was able to get a nickel, a dime and a quarter out of the crevices. Now both tray mechanisms are working fine.

I did the same thing (well my wife did) and had to remove the coins myself. My wife was napping on a road trip and threw the change that I got form a toll booth in the cup holder. The very same change that I gave her because I didn't want to put them in the cup holder!

Anyways, if you lift up the cup ring portion with some force the whole setup will lift up enough to get the coins out. Not recommended to do but I had to get my fat finger in there without using any thin/flat objects that might scratch the wood trims.

Listen to the man and don't put any coins in the front cup holders.

While thread jacking I might as well... as far as taking off the center console wood trim... it's not too hard. My installer had to remove to do a radar jammer install and it was pretty easy. The whole thing just lifts off after some trims are removed on the sides of the tranny tunnel. Sorry for the thread jack!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 09:30 AM   #26
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
And there is the sportsbutton on the centreconsole: Normal/Sport/Sport+. I just thought , that's about the auto tranny which revs a bit longer in sport/+.

I pushed the button a few times in traffic and didn't notice anything more than imo just a 'placebo'effect, just because I dont have the electronic dampers and stuff. So I switched it back to normal after a few seconds.

Yesterday I kept it in sportsmode and the IDrive said(as ever) :Optimal tranny an CHASSIS for sporty driving(including a picture of the internals of the car) I didn't pay any attention to that, until.....I found out the steering was getting heavier and the suspension was getting more rigid. No placeboeffect at all. The car remains stiffer in bends and the steering is less 'Cadillac'like!
Cheers
Robin
I believe the steering gets sharper and heavier but the suspension is not affected.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 09:47 AM   #27
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
I believe the steering gets sharper and heavier but the suspension is not affected.
The suspension as well. And because it's already the sportssuspension, the difference isn't that big, but for sure it's there.

Cheers
robin
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 08:42 PM   #28
TonyMeister
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW...
Location: I'm here I'm there I'm F' everywhere I'm the eggman

Does your 535i have four zone climate control?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 08:43 PM   #29
Hoss NY
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 535i Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2000 BMW E39 528i  [0.00]
2002 BMW X5 3.0  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMeister View Post
Does your 535i have four zone climate control?
No
Appreciate 0