2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK F11 o/s rear light removal/water ingress

03-14-2023, 12:01 PM   #1
Oilburner26
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F11

F11 o/s rear light removal/water ingress

I have a rainwater leak which could be coming from the o/s outer rear light, rain water is partially filing the cubbyhole with about 50mm of rainwater, I have dried out everything, and put crunched up paper towel below the rear light, and towards the front of the cubbyhole more towards the fuel filler cap location, after soma rain with the vehicle sitting on the driveway, I found the paper towel under the rear light soaking wet, and the other paper towel location bone dry, I ordered the bmw rear light seal kit, ready to replace the seal if that is the cause, but can't figure out what holds the light in place, I can see one fixing nut directly behind the light, which I removed and possibly another hidden in a deep recess which I have only partially removed, the light is still firmly fixed with no movement at all, so my question does anyone know how to remove the light, and indeed if that's where the rainwater is coming in, I have come across this topic on other forums of water getting into the cubbyhole on the F11, but unfortunately they don't say the cause or the remedy they found, so I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this topic, thank you.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 01:08 PM   #2
SteveGildart
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 535D MSport Touring

F1 O/S rear light

Hi,

I had to replace mine because I reversed into a hedge. It is really easy when you know how. You will need a long socket to reach the nuts holding the light in. From what I remember there are two (or was it three). The obvious one and one in the hole at the rear of the boot.

Put something sticky (or magnetic) in the socket to remove the one in the hole otherwise you might lose the nut when you unscrew it.

I do not think that is where you leak is, as the light cluster fits very snuggly.
Appreciate 0